• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Dragon Warrior III
  3. Snaiily is the WORST enemy! How do you deal with them??

User Info: ThEBMaN

ThEBMaN
4 months ago#1
These things have to be one of the most annoying enemies in the game. I keep encountering groups of them around Dharma Temple and they are impervious to nearly everything! On top of all that they have the freaking Sleep spell! Why oh why did they make these things harder to beat than the freaking final boss???

Their Defense is so high that physical attacks are basically like facing a Metal Slime, and magic never seems to work. The only spells I can get to work in fact are Stopspell and Sap spells, of which Sap spells are THE only way I have found to beat them, and they also almost never work. I have to literally cast it 10 or more times to get it to stick at which time I can finally get their Defense low enough to take one down. Regular damage spells never work so this is the only way I've found to be able to beat them.

There HAS to be a better/easier way to beat these things. Any suggestions?
"HAVE YOU.... OR HAVE YOU NOT.... HEARD.... ABOUT.... THE BIRD?"
(edited 4 months ago)

User Info: StyrixA

StyrixA
4 months ago#2
Damage spells tend to work, I think especially Bang and Ice based spells. Whoosh and Fireball are less effective, but also still work. Try using the staff of judgement as an item, too.

Defense/Sap also work nicely. As does Surround.

They don’t have as much defense as it seems, too. Often an enemy’s defense is on a threshold, where if you’re able to increase your attack by 10, you’ll quickly be doing enough to knock them out.

User Info: Pre_PHD_Lee

Pre_PHD_Lee
4 months ago#3
I don't off-hand know what their resistances are, but I, having the same issue as TheBMaN, tried all the offensive spells I could several times each and couldn't get a single one to land.(Those spells worked better on the Sea Slimes, though).

I had luck with Stopspell to stop their Sleep from landing, but it wasn't 100% either.

Other than Sap and Defence, I think the best bet for these guys is to either run or defer exploring this area until after you get the ship and gain a few levels. It doesn't take very long after you can first meet them before your strongest attackers should be able to damage them more. Otherwise the best bet is long attrition or hope for a critical.
May someday resume the quest for higher education, or else change my name here. Won't stop playing games either way.

User Info: StyrixA

StyrixA
4 months ago#4
I'd agree that I think they are really just a challenge when trying to walk from Dharma to Muor. And you don't need to go to Muor, although it's got 1 nice item and some ok shops. But it can wait.

User Info: ThEBMaN

ThEBMaN
3 months ago#5
StyrixA posted...
Damage spells tend to work, I think especially Bang and Ice based spells. Whoosh and Fireball are less effective, but also still work. Try using the staff of judgement as an item, too.

Defense/Sap also work nicely. As does Surround.

They don’t have as much defense as it seems, too. Often an enemy’s defense is on a threshold, where if you’re able to increase your attack by 10, you’ll quickly be doing enough to knock them out.

Honestly I really don't know what you're talking about, as all the stuff you suggested is the stuff that I specifically stated almost never work. Damage spells simply do not land, like ever. It seems like others are having the same experience as well. Seems that Sap/Defense really are the only strategies there are to use. I truly don't understand why the devs gave these things resistance to damage spells like this, seems really stupid specially for this point in the game.

And yeah, Stopspell seems to be one of the few spells that works with decent frequency to keep their Sleep spell at bay. And yeah, the devs felt the need to give them sleep too. What the hell were the devs thinking when they programmed this enemy?? I mean my characters are beefy enough where it's not a challenge per se, but they are as annoying as can be, and basically suck your MP dry as you heal and try to cast Sap and Defense over and over and over and over til it finally sticks, but by that time you've gone thru half to two thirds of your MP pool just to get thru one single battle. It's absolutely absurd. The devs screwed up big time when they designed this enemy. They are FAR FAR harder than anything else in the area.
"HAVE YOU.... OR HAVE YOU NOT.... HEARD.... ABOUT.... THE BIRD?"
(edited 3 months ago)

User Info: Pre_PHD_Lee

Pre_PHD_Lee
3 months ago#6
I was trying to get a Monster Medal for Barnabas next to Muor at night, but I had to move to a different area just to get away from these annoying enemies.
May someday resume the quest for higher education, or else change my name here. Won't stop playing games either way.
  1. Boards
  2. Dragon Warrior III
  3. Snaiily is the WORST enemy! How do you deal with them??
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A