• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Dragon Warrior III
  3. Looking for help to add self-imposed challenges

User Info: cpthurme

cpthurme
1 year ago#1
Hi! Maybe an odd question but I'm looking for advice on how I might increase the difficulty of the game. From my research on this game I've heard that there are a number of multi-hit weapons that eventually trivialise combat. Maybe restricting the use of those would be a good start? Also I read that a bag was added that allows you to carry infinite potions - one of my favourite aspects of the NES version is having to carefully manage TP and the limited item space for herbs.

Party creation would be another one that could rebalance the challenge I assume. Any ideas on how I could up the difficulty to something harder than the NES original would be good if possible! :) Big fan of the DW III Hardtype, and am interested to try the GBC version.

User Info: damedog

damedog
1 year ago#2
You could always make a Merchant, a Jester, and a Thief to start. Or better yet, just one jester.

cpthurme
1 year ago#3
I'd prefer to play a party of 4 or 3 at lowest, but thanks!

User Info: MyNameIsMabble

MyNameIsMabble
11 months ago#4
Solo Jester challenges are ill-advised anyway due to Self-Paralysis. Trust me. I tried. It's just not reasonable.

A Party of 3 is a fairly interesting thought for a challenge, removing one party slot can hamper your options and turns in combat a lot more than you might think. Solo challenges, while technically the hardest, are also a bit outplayed and you'll get a really strong character due to 4x EXP gain, so why not change things up a bit? Another idea could be to intentionally go out of your way to lock yourself into terrible personalities. Maybe do Party of 3, one of them has to be a Jester, and you can't class change them?

As for the bag... I never really found it to be much of a dealbreaker, myself. It's going to be a while before you can buy better healing items than Herbs, and Herbs start to get pretty worthless quickly.

The Mullti-hit weapons, I'm unsure if you're referring to stuff like Falcon Swords or Whips/Boomerangs... in which case, eh, I replayed DQ3 recently and I don't remember either option feeling THAT imbalanced, but if you're coming off Hardtype, it's definitely going to feel jarring having those options for generic mobs.

In Terms of harder than NES version... I mean, that's probably just not going to happen, but what the hell, see what that does for you.

Fun fact, my first party when I got this game was Thief/Dealer/Jester. The idea was I would have ALL the spells.

cpthurme
11 months ago#5
Thanks Mabble.

cpthurme
11 months ago#6
How do I get the worst personalities on a party of III? This is starting to sound like the Dragon Warrior II party! :D

User Info: MyNameIsMabble

MyNameIsMabble
11 months ago#7
What each personality does, and how to get them on a created character:
https://dragon-quest.org/wiki/List_of_personality_types_in_Dragon_Quest_III

It's still going to take some rigging and resetting, but you'll be able to get the desired (or in this case, undesired) personality you want once you've identified the worst one you can assign to a class after enough tries fairly easily.

cpthurme
11 months ago#8
Cheers Mabble!

User Info: Sinner121890

Sinner121890
7 months ago#9
The hardest way would be having 3 Jesters, almost unplayable, add not using any kind of spells and no healing items, just healing at Inns, and use terrible personalities, the multi hit weapons aren't game changers in my opinion, but if you want you could add no equipment, just initial weapons and cloth, only grinding levels over and over.
That would be the definitive challenge, i dont even think its actually doable...

cpthurme
7 months ago#10
Thanks, tried this game a few weeks back and felt too easy so put it aside.
  1. Boards
  2. Dragon Warrior III
  3. Looking for help to add self-imposed challenges
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A