• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. EVE Online
  3. Courier Contract Scam

User Info: why_not

why_not
10 years ago#1
So I discovered the wonderful world of courier contracts late last night and started running them. I was skeptical at first but after running a few with no problems I figured they were all legit. I ran two to the same place that were something like 18 jumps start to finish, and paid about 1.7mil combined for hauling less than 50 m3 of cargo. I hopped in my Rifter, and sped through them, I think the lowest Sec I had to shoot through was 0.3 and delivery was made in a 0.7 system.

Then I got brave (read foolish) and accepted a contract that was supposed to pay out 10 million and the collateral was 40 million. I had to borrow from a friend for this collateral and it was only after I had accepted it that he asked what it was for and told me I had probably just been scammed.

Sure enough, I open the package and it contains an empty small container and the delivery is to a player owened station in 0.0. Up until now I was unaware that player owned stations even existed and that they could deny docking permission to anyone they wanted. So then I pull up the map and see that the system my delivery was to had something like 23 pod kills in the last 24 hours and that the person who made the contract had another 20 or so out with the same ridiculous prices and none showed as being completed.

So I jumped to the last high sec system in the route I had plotted and unloaded every single thing I had on me into the station, entire fitting, cargo, package etc. Then I made the rest of the run to the station I was supposed to deliver at and noticed that there was something like 20 wrecks right by the gate in the 0.0. Of course when I try to dock at the station I get some message in Italian or something telling me that I can't dock.

So I jump out without getting killed (speedy Rifter ftw) but now I see that there is no way I am going to be able to complete this contract. I opened a petition last night to see if I can get my collateral back and still haven't heard back. I have heard in the past that this was something you could get GMs to do since you really have no way of knowing from the start that you won't be able to dock at the delivery station but I was wondering if anyone knows for sure if this petition will work? I know it was a dumb mistake on my part and that this apparently happens all the time but it still seems like something they should have patched right now. Why not make it so that a courier making delivery will always be allowed to dock?

TL;DR version: I got scammed on a courier mission, will my petition to get my collateral back be successful?

User Info: moving0target

moving0target
10 years ago#2
Since this is a valid in-game mechanic, (whether or not it's cheap as hell) you probably won't get your money back via petition. Just chalk it up there as something you won't fall for again. If you post your story on the eve-online forums, sometimes kind hearted players will throw some ISK your way as compensation. I wouldn't recommend begging by any stretch, though.
Vigilante, GFAQS unofficial military board. http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/gentopic.php?board=916881
  1. Boards
  2. EVE Online
  3. Courier Contract Scam
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Answers