• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.

User Info: jconos

jconos
9 years ago#1
Question about save games - i only have 41 spaces, so I had to go back to save 3 (wanted to keep 1 and 2), renamed it 3 42 etc, and I am now on my 3rd oversave. Haven't played in years, but don't remember having to overwrite the saves. Once I did show an empty space below #4l, but couldn't write in it.
My saves folder shows only autosave, save000, then starts with 001-039. Is it ok to keep overwriting?
Also, can't find anything to tell me what version I am playing. Think I patched it, but couldn't make it work for so long, I have forgotten.
I am so glad to have found a current forum, didn't think there were any. Any help will be appreciated, but I'm not computer literate, so please give easy help if possible.
In case it matters, game is running in a virtual PC with WIN98 on an XP puter.
Thanks

User Info: aetherspoon

aetherspoon
9 years ago#2
1) Yep, limited to forty save slots + the autosave (for 41). If you really want to keep all of those saves, you could always just copy the save files out of the directory.
2) Right click the MM6.exe file, choose properties. Somewhere in there is version information (labeled as 'version'). It'll say v1.0, 1.1, or 1.2 (Mok's MM6 patch shows up as 1.2 still)
3) You know you can run it in plain XP, right? You'll probably need to patch it with Mok's unofficial v1.3 patch, but it does work fine in XP after a couple of tweaks.
Æther SPOON!
Resident junk computer part expert, owner of #aspoonedroom

User Info: TazmanianD

TazmanianD
9 years ago#3

This is off topic, but what software are you using to run a virtual Windows 98 machine? I've got another game (Outcast) that I can't seem to get working on XP and if a virtual 98 machine would work, that would be great. I do actually have an install disc for 98 but since there are no drivers for my graphics card for it, I doubt I would get very far.

aetherspoon
9 years ago#4
I use Virtualbox personally, but that is more because I run Linux as my primary OS. I don't know what Virtualbox's performance running under an XP Host is like.
VirtualPC might have better performance, or possibly VMWare.
Æther SPOON!

jconos
9 years ago#5
Hello and thanks for your help. I will look for Moks today, I assume I can patch and keep playing same game.

I emailed my friend who put the virtual PC on my puter, and this is what she said:

Hi Jeannie, I'm just waking up so still have cob webs in the brain, but if what your asking is about the virtual PC and drivers, well you don't need drivers with virtual PC it will share the ones you already have. If the person already has a 98 disk all he needs to do is install that inside his virtual machine and then install the game. Also it will make a difference what current operating system the peson that wants a virtual machine is using. There are different virtual machines for different operating systems. Ask what operating system he/she has.

Oops I reread and they are using XP... (told ya I need coffee) ok heres a link for Virtual PC..

http://blogs.howtogeek.com/mysticgeek/2007/09/27/add-a-virtual-pc-to-xp-part-1/

hope this is what you needed...

Thanks again

jconos
9 years ago#6
Hi again
I googled Mok and found it on Telps page, but link was broken. This was there too. Will this do instead? Has anyone tried these? I assume they are safe since they are on that site, and especially since I am putting it on a virtual PC I don't think they can affect the rest of the puter, right? Do I just download it to the MM6/7/8 folders, or do I need to choose a subfolder? I really suck at this kind of stuff.

Sergey Rozhenko aka GrayFace Homepage
GrayFace MM6 Patch v1.8
GrayFace MM6 Patch is unofficial patch for MM6. It includes Mok's patch and Angel's patch. In addition to features like "Always Run" and "Flip On Exit" it adds quick saves, changing controls, playing MP3 tracks, double speed mode and so on. It should run on Windows XP and Vista version without any problems (no need to set compatibility with Win9x).
Full list of changes
Patch for English version of the game
Install on any version of the game. All changes are included.

GrayFace MM7 Patch v1.3
GrayFace MM7 Patch is unofficial patch for MM7. Is includes Mok's patch. Adds quick saves, playing MP3 tracks, double speed mode and so on. It should run on Windows XP and Vista without any problems (no need to set compatibility with Win9x).
Full list of changes
Patch for English version of the game

GrayFace MM8 Patch v1.2
GrayFace MM8 Patch is unofficial patch for MM8. Is includes Mok's patch. Adds quick saves, playing MP3 tracks, double speed mode and so on. It should run on Windows XP and Vista without any problems (no need to set compatibility with Win9x).
Full list of changes
Patch for any version of the game
Patch source code
Delphi 2006
Here are changes specific to MM8:
[+] JumpSpeed option lets you can change Jump spell speed. Default is 1100. Game default was 1000.
[+] You can rest on water (on shipyards).
[-] Temporary resistance bonuses didn't work. (they are actually never given in the game, but this fix may be useful for mods)
[-] Added code to suppress strange crash in the Temple Of The Sun.
[-] Mok's delay before showing video is replaced with a better solution.
[-] There were wrong artifacts bonus damage ranges (4-9 instead of 4-10 and so on).
[-] Elderaxe had wrong damage type: Fire instead of Ice.
[-] Herald's Boots Swiftness didn't work.
Skill Teachers Patch for MM8
This patch makes skill teachers list in Autonotes more readable. If you have GrayFace MM8 Patch installed, just extract archive contents into your MM8 directory. Otherwise, add autonotes.txt from archive into your EnglishT.lod using mm8leveleditor.
English version

jconos
9 years ago#7
ok, my bad. If I would have scrolled down I would have seen Mok's patch. Still, would like your opinion on the GrayFace thing if you've used it.
Thanks

aetherspoon
9 years ago#8
Never used it.
Æther SPOON!

User Info: cgkarlsson

cgkarlsson
9 years ago#9
I used GrayFace mm6patch 1.7 and it works good. Nice with two qicksaveslots and the official patch included.
seeyalong

User Info: TazmanianD

TazmanianD
9 years ago#10

Cool! I had played all three games a bunch of times before discovering Mok's patches. Now there are even more patches! I'm amazed that people continue to improve such old games like these ones but this is great!

• Topic Archived