• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Mario Kart: Super Circuit
  3. question about unlocking SNES tracks in Mario GP
DumpsterMcNuggets 9 years ago#1
What ranking do you have to get on every one of the cups(and I assume over 50cc, 100cc, AND 150cc), in order to unlock the SNES Super Mario Kart tracks? I hope it isn't like say you have to get some super high ranking(i.e. three stars, since the highest ranking I've ever gotten in any cup was 1 star), since I sometimes struggle to get first place on all of them. I know the star ranking you get in each cup supposedly has to do with the number of coins you collect over the 4 courses in that cup, but do you really have to get something like 100 coins in all cups(and over all of the 3 classes, i.e. 50cc, etc.) to unlock them?

Thanks to anyone who can clear up my confusion, as to what it takes to unlock the SNES tracks. It was nice I finally unlocked all the Special Cup courses for time trial mode earlier this week, after getting gold in the 150cc class of Star Cup.
Manchester City: 2011-12 Premier League champions!
np: Mega Man Anvsy. Collection(PS2), Brutal Legend(PS3), MLB 2K11(DS), Ninja Gdn: Dragon Sword(DS)

User Info: Gunbladelad

Gunbladelad
9 years ago#2
I believe you do need to accumulate 100 coins in order to unlock the SNES tracks.

It's just a matter of practice, and you'll get there eventually. I do have to admit, however, that I detest the power-slide mechanics they put into this one.
Where logic won't work - I will
PAL Gamers unite - http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/277-pal-gaming
DumpsterMcNuggets 9 years ago#3
Is it 100 coins in each cup in 50cc, 100cc, and 150cc? And I guess that'd be equivalent to like a A or a single star ranking? I've always been confused by the rankings, other than that I assume they refer to the number of coins you collect over the 4 courses you race in, in each cup.

I remember hearing something about collecting 100 coins in order to unlock the SNES tracks, from somewhere though. Just was only posting this, since I wanted to figure out what exactly it takes to unlock those tracks, for sure. I did notice on a youtube vid, that the startup screen for MK:SC is at nighttime instead of day, once you unlock those tracks.
np: Mega Man Anvsy. Collection(PS2), Brutal Legend(PS3), MLB 2K11(DS), Ninja Gdn: Dragon Sword(DS)

Gunbladelad
9 years ago#4
I think it's 100 coins in each CC to unlock the tracks on each difficulty, but it needs to be done on 150cc in order to unlock them on Time Trial & Vs games.

Of course, if anyone wants to correct my fuzzy memory (It's been years since I unlocked things on Super Circuit), jump right in.

I believe the rankings are determined by a combination of factors - including coins, position and overall time on each GP. With lots of coins, 1st position overall, and a decent time, you'll have at least 1 (or more) stars at the end.
DumpsterMcNuggets 9 years ago#5
Gunbladelad posted...
I think it's 100 coins in each CC to unlock the tracks on each difficulty, but it needs to be done on 150cc in order to unlock them on Time Trial & Vs games.

Of course, if anyone wants to correct my fuzzy memory (It's been years since I unlocked things on Super Circuit), jump right in.

I believe the rankings are determined by a combination of factors - including coins, position and overall time on each GP. With lots of coins, 1st position overall, and a decent time, you'll have at least 1 (or more) stars at the end.

Thanks for recalling to the best of your ability, what exactly it takes to unlock the SNES tracks. I wonder if you have to get 100 coins in each cup within a CC, or you only have to get 100 coins overall between all cups in a CC? I really hope it's the latter, since if it's not, it's gonna be a pain in the *** to try to get to 100 coins in each cup. And I struggle enough with the Star and Special Cup, as it is!

Gunbladelad
9 years ago#6
I believe it's 100 coins in each cup in order to unlock the tracks in the corresponding "cup" in the classic tracks.

User Info: emayer

emayer
9 years ago#7
In order to unlock a classic cup, you need to get a gold trophy on the corresponding normal cup first, then play that normal cup again and get 100 coins. So you have to do each normal cup, on every engine size, a second time.

Total coins affect your ranking, but that's not the only thing. Your times on each course are just as important, if not moreso. Also, the more total time you spend in 1st place, the better your ranking will be.
DumpsterMcNuggets 9 years ago#8
Yeah, I've quickly realized it's the latter, as i have been attempting this goal. Still a little bit off from this goal, but I am working towards achieving this goal eventually down the road.
np: Stunt Race FX(SNES), Tetris 2(SNES), Pilotwings(SNES),MK: Super Circuit(GBA)
current goals: finally beat Pilotwings, + unlock SNES tracks in Super Circuit
DumpsterMcNuggets 9 years ago#9
I actually achieved unlocking 4 of the 15 SNES cups, as of this weekend! 1 cup yesterday(Extra Special Cup on 100cc), and 5 more today(Extra Mushroom Cup, Extra Flower Cup, Extra Lightning Cup, and Extra Star Cup on 100cc, and Extra Mushroom Cup on 50cc). Amazing, I can't wait till I unlock all 15 cups.

And since I don't care if this fact is spoiled for me or not, are the SNES Extra Cups the very last cups you can unlock in this game?
np: Stunt Race FX(SNES), Tetris 2(SNES), Pilotwings(SNES),MK: Super Circuit(GBA)
current goals: finally beat Pilotwings, + unlock SNES tracks in Super Circuit

User Info: emayer

emayer
9 years ago#10
Yeah, that's all. 10 total cups in the game, with 40 total courses.
  1. Boards
  2. Mario Kart: Super Circuit
  3. question about unlocking SNES tracks in Mario GP
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A