• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Diablo II: Lord of Destruction
  3. Fun/viable Necro builds?

User Info: Razum

Razum
7 years ago#1
Just as the topic title says. Haven't played D2 in a couple years and wanna play it. Thinking necro, which I haven't touched since the game first came out (which means I probably played him poorly due to age at that point).

Any fun builds I should know about that stay viable through all difficulty modes?
UMvC 3 Teams: Haggar/P.Wright/Spencer - Haggar/Shuma/Felicia - Haggar/Hulk/Sentinal

User Info: COWZOFDEATH

COWZOFDEATH
7 years ago#2
Summoner is always a fun one and it's viable in Hell as long as you get Corpse Explosion.

Bonemancer is also viable but I don't find him too fun.

Poisonmancer is lesser used and viable but I'm not sure how cheap he is to make or if he relies heavily on +skills gear (never made one).

Cursemancer is viable but should really only be played if you want to challenge yourself. I remember seeing a Cursemancer playthrough in Hell Mode (I think it was also Hardcore) and he played brilliantly and made everything look easy. Clay Golem for tanking + Dim Vision + Rogue Merc destroyed everything. Attract/Confuse + Corpse Explosion to take out big packs. Looked kinda fun. But it's incredibly slow.

Personally, I would go with Summoner. Loads of fun, and it's a great build to use to get back into the game. He also doesn't really rely on gear at all. Just make sure you don't invest in Corpse Explosion until Hell Mode (your skeletons can handle big packs until then). And make sure you buy a wand from Drognan that gives +Corpse Explosion for the Maggot Lair. Since that place is so small you can CE chain a whole room to death - i started doing it and it made my life so much easier in there.

Your skill points should mostly all go into Raise Skeleton in the first 20 levels. Skelly Mages are useless (except Cold for bosses), and Skelly Mastery isn't needed until after you max Raise Skeleton. Just make sure you put points into the Curses for Decrepify and it's prerequisites (including Amplify Damage) as well as one into Clay Golem and Golem Mastery so you can get Summon Resist at level 24(VERY important for Diablo). You can put points into Mages eventually if you want to get Revives (they're optional). And Summoner builds finish early, at around Level 60. After you max Raise Skeleton, Skelly Mastery, have the proper curses, and max CE, you can put points into whatever you want to really. This would be a great opportunity to get Mages/Revives/Other Golems/Curses if you want to.

Have Fun!

User Info: Ningishzida

Ningishzida
7 years ago#3
COWZOFDEATH posted...
Summoner is always a fun one and it's viable in Hell as long as you get Corpse Explosion.

no, you need alot more than corpse explosion to be Hell-proof.

COWZOFDEATH
7 years ago#4
Ningishzida posted...
COWZOFDEATH posted...

no, you need alot more than corpse explosion to be Hell-proof.

Like what? I had an untwinked summoner with awful gear that made it to Act 4 Hell before I stopped playing. CE was extremely effective and killed pretty much everything that my skellies couldn't.

User Info: Razum

Razum
7 years ago#5
Uh... Mind helping on what my stat points should go into for a summoner build? I know enough str for my equips (which I can't recall how high I'll need), but I'm not sure on DEX/VIT/ENG. I appreciate the help, last time I played the game, I'm pretty sure summoner wasn't really a viable build past mid-nightmare, so I'm glad to hear that's no longer the case.
UMvC 3 Teams: Haggar/P.Wright/Spencer - Haggar/Shuma/Felicia - Haggar/Hulk/Sentinal

Ningishzida
7 years ago#6
Razum posted...
I'm pretty sure summoner wasn't really a viable build past mid-nightmare, so I'm glad to hear that's no longer the case.

summoner was always viable, but yeah, after NM the skellies are useless, unless ofc you get like 4 auras going at once (beast, might merc with infinity, iron golem with pride), enigma (to teleport them to manipulate their positioning, and lots of +skills (gear, charms).

corpse explosion just doesn't cut it since like 1.10 (can recall exact version), but this is years ago and ppl need to evolve their ideas with the game instead of being stuck in the past

you wouldn't get past the Hell Bloodmoor with just corpse explosion and summon skills that aren't hugely buffed with skill gear/charms, as summoners are comparitively WEAK in Hell.

Ningishzida
7 years ago#7
Razum posted...
but I'm not sure on DEX/VIT/ENG.

lots of ideas here, i wouldn't put anything into dex or energy for summoner.
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/370600-diablo-ii-lord-of-destruction/67775884

str to wear good enough armor, the rest into vitality for surviving hell.

COWZOFDEATH
7 years ago#8
Ningishzida posted...
Razum posted...
I'm pretty sure summoner wasn't really a viable build past mid-nightmare, so I'm glad to hear that's no longer the case.

summoner was always viable, but yeah, after NM the skellies are useless, unless ofc you get like 4 auras going at once (beast, might merc with infinity, iron golem with pride), enigma (to teleport them to manipulate their positioning, and lots of +skills (gear, charms).

corpse explosion just doesn't cut it since like 1.10 (can recall exact version), but this is years ago and ppl need to evolve their ideas with the game instead of being stuck in the past

you wouldn't get past the Hell Bloodmoor with just corpse explosion and summon skills that aren't hugely buffed with skill gear/charms, as summoners are comparitively WEAK in Hell.

You have no idea what you're talking about.

As I said, I recently built a summoner (solo), and got him all the way to Act 4 Hell before I quit playing. I had ridiculously bad gear (maybe like +3 skills total from gear), and it still wasn't hard, it was just slow.

The fact that you think CE requres godly gear to be effective proves you really are clueless. CE damage doesn't increase with extra points. It just increases radius. CE does damage depending on the monsters life, which in Hell, is a ton of damage. It does even more if you cast Amplify Damage beforehand. You curse mob, Skellies kill one enemy, you explode it, that explosion kills another monster and badly weakens the rest, you explode that one, everything dies. That's how it always went for me. It's widely agreed upon that the Summoner is one of the easiest classes in the game to beat Hell with if you have awful gear.

User Info: psychward

psychward
7 years ago#9
I'm actually playing through on hardcore ladder right now with a summoner. Level 83 and all the way to Hell Baal.

But my gear isn't bad either. I was able to trade an um rune for an arm of king leoric, homonculous and trang gloves and then had the trang armor drop at the end of Act 1.

That said I've done a summoner before all the way to the end with worse gear.

Make sure to get the Act 2 merc in nightmare for the might aura.

The only area I've had any problems with was the Maggot Lair. I had someone help me with that.

It takes time. But every build takes time to get through hell unless you have overpowered gear. My summoners gear is just modest and I had to be cautious.

Ofcourse im playing on hardcore too so i always err on the side of caution.

User Info: psychward

psychward
7 years ago#10
Also, the mages do come in handy in hell. There are certain areas that are bottle necked without walls so your skeletons can't surround the enemies like in river of flame or on the log bridges in act 3.

Mages really come in handy in spots like that. Just switch to the lower resist curse.

Another thing is every once in a while I'll town portal just to re center all of my summons. If they get too far away from you you'll lose them and have to re summon.
  1. Boards
  2. Diablo II: Lord of Destruction
  3. Fun/viable Necro builds?
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A