• Topic Closed
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. ICO
  3. (Mega Spoilers) If you haven't completed the game, enter at your own risk

User Info: PeterEliot

PeterEliot
13 years ago#471
bump

User Info: Gnomepolian

Gnomepolian
13 years ago#472
never thought i would find such a wonderful thread.........tears........

i wish i had more than just appreciation to contribute

User Info: Aegirson

Aegirson
13 years ago#473
Yeah Ico can do this to people.

Once you start you cant stop.
When you stop you want play still.
Beat it again and again.....
I don't think there is any other game out there with that effect on me.
Years later i can pick it of my shelf and play it again.
And still i feel the magic.
Can one truly fall in love with a game?

*Gently walks through the beautiful castle.*

Yep one more who has lost his soul to the spirit of Ico!
I'm the Son of the mighty Aegir.

User Info: Gnomepolian

Gnomepolian
13 years ago#474
Aegirson the Queen got your soul?! Flaming stick weilding Ico to the rescue!!!!

Opps, sorry Ico wasn't available... how bout... uh...Earthworm Jim?

User Info: griselda_banks

griselda_banks
13 years ago#475
Whew. I finally got myself registered, and read this thread! I'm very happy to see so many people enjoy ICO as much as I do.
I've played the game three times, and plan on playing it again in the near future, and that alone is testament to what a great game is. I'm the sort of person who likes to read good books over and over again, and this game is the same way for me. As others have said, even if you know the answers to all the puzzles and can zip through it in a few hours, it still holds an inexplicable value. I suppose it might help that I live for stories and they're the main deciding factor in most of my games, but I think the reason I don't mind playing ICO over and over is so I can experience the story again and again. And I might add that the only games I've encountered that have been worthy of playing three times (so far, anyway) are ICO, Final Fantasy X, and Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time (I thoroughly detest the other PoP games, though). And the only reason I played them more than once is because of their story.
You know, some games can give you an experience that tangibly teaches you something. For instance, Final Fantasy X opened my mind to the concept that people's lives are stories (which led me to thinking about our Author), and made me realize that dying's not all that bad - I know I should have realized that to a greater extent before, but I guess I hadn't really considered it until I thought about the Farplane. But other games, like ICO, leave you with the feeling that you've learned something or grown a little, but you're not sure what or how. I just get the feeling that I've matured somewhat after experiencing this story. Does anybody else feel the same way?
Peter Eliot, I just want to thank you for making these observations (and making it a FAQ; I wouldn't have discovered it otherwise!). You must have spent HOURS musing to figure all this out and type it up! And I hereby solemnly swear that I will never succumb to the afterlife theory. It never crossed my mind before, and truly seems absurd to me (I don't mean to insult anybody who believes it, though).
And I know this isn't one of the main features of this thread, but I really like the gameplay. It's so freeing to not worry about EXP or HP or how many more doohickies you have to collect. It's just Ico, Yorda, and a castle filled with danger. And it didn't take me very long to start worrying about Yorda; after being freakishly frozen one time, I was absolutely terrified to ever leave her side. I felt just like Ico, forever worried about Yorda and desperate to escape from the castle. And it never once crossed my mind to escape from the castle. And it never once crossed my mind to escape on my own after Ico falls off the bridge. Not simply because the gameplay wouldn't allow it, but because I couldn't bear thinking of a future without Yorda - isn't that ironical and amazingly superb on the part of the creators?
Oh, another thing. How did you (all of you) find out about ICO in the first place and decide to play it? For me, I was reading a gaming magazine where they were listing the top games of the year or some such thing. They were going on about how sweet a game it was, and what a sad ending it had. I'm a sucker for heartwrenching tales with sad/bittersweet endings, so I decided to buy it. And then I get to the end, and what happens? It's a happy ending! I'm not complaining about the game; it's a beautiful way to end it and I love it, but I can't help scratching my head in confusion. It's my thinking that the people who wrote the article hadn't waited till the end of the credits. How I pity them...
Anyone can write. The trouble with writers is they can't do anything else. - Mignon McLaughlin

User Info: NoOneLeft

NoOneLeft
13 years ago#476
Wow, just found this thread a few days ago and read through all of Peter's orginal posts, I admit i skimmed throught he posts after but ... as much as I like Peter's ideas, I have my own that I would like to share.

This isn't to take away from other tehorys and it isn't itself a fully-fleshed theory either. This idea of mine comes from an inconsistant fact and I let you decide if it is important.

First: The fact that is wrong:
Yorda starts out in a cage suspended quite high up in a tower. Other than the nice literary and visual aspects of her imprisonment... it's completely overkill. The girl shows no will of her own for escape, so why go to this length for imprisonment? A cage is understandable, but why so high up in the tower? This doesn't make sense, and there are two possible explanations.

1.) Yorda has tried to escape before on her own. This would explain her acceptance and despair she shows through much of the game. It also explains why she moves forward through a few doors during the game. First t the main gate and again at each of the light-beam-door openning buildings (I hope you know what I mean, I don't know what these buildings should rightly be called. I want to call them gatehouses, but.. I think you'll know the buildings I mean). She steps through these doors on her own because she knows these places and knows they are important to getting out. Perhaps on her previous attempts to leave she had a bit more streamlined way through the castle, perhaps before it had sustained some of the damage is shows. Anyway this is not the interpretation I choose to take. I choose...

2.) To protect Yorda. The wraiths do not work for the Queen despite their similar appearance. Whenthe wraiths take Yorda that attempt to pull her into the floor. Having her suspended in the air in a cage prevents them from getting her to the ground to pull her in. The Queen needs her for her own uses, but she also needs to keep her safe from the wraiths. Now I note the Queen looks fairly young (she may be magically very old, but she looks young). Why is she dying? Why is she stealing Yorda's body to extend her life if she is so young? Maybe she made an evil pact with these spirits to get her power? Maybe the pact involved the creation of the castle? Personally I think some kind of pact was amde and the Queen got the raw end of the deal and she realized too late it would cost her life. In any case this theory demands that the Queen does not control the wraiths, she surely has no fear of them herself and she probably can extert her will onto the shadows should she want, but she doesn't. I think the Queen and the shadows are enemys, and the Queen wants Yorda because somehow she can keep the shadows at bay better than she can yerself. We know from Ico's vision that Yorda has that scary all black for before the end, but she somehow can control that form or keep it at bay (or that form is only a form of power and she is weak until the end when she gets recharged), but in either case she is not being consumed by the dark energy. On the other hand the Queen is cloaked int he darkness. I always felt that the darkness both gave her power and was the cause of her impending doom. The darkness is trying to consume her and only her face is left, and that face is full of the same pale light, strength, as Yorda.

Well, anyway that is the contradiction and the two pissible explanations tha I could think of. There is no reason for a suspended cage in the other theorys I have read. If someone would like to take up one of my two theorys on the need for the cage and carry through that change in the rest of the story please do so. The first theory actually doesn't change the rest of the story much at all, other than a different view of Yorda's behavior. The secodn view changes quite a bit in both the Queen's character, Yorda's character and perhaps the final events at the end.

Aynway, I'd love to hear response ^^

User Info: Cloud_Gallen

Cloud_Gallen
13 years ago#477
Wow, this is a fabulous thread! It definitely adds more insight to the game.

Where there's a will, there's a way.

User Info: PeterEliot

PeterEliot
13 years ago#478
Griselda, I'll be sure to answer you (I promised I would in e-mail) in a few days. I'm a little... busy these days.

User Info: gogogopogo

gogogopogo
13 years ago#479
Great stuff.
"Angel"
Most likely here if LL is down. Sometimes not though.

User Info: game_mastr

game_mastr
13 years ago#480
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

im not reading allllll of this

im not
---
  1. Boards
  2. ICO
  3. (Mega Spoilers) If you haven't completed the game, enter at your own risk
  • Topic Closed