• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. ICO
  3. ICO Group Playthrough Chapter 4: **Spoilers** The Sea, and The Queen

User Info: funkadelius

funkadelius
11 months ago#1
We're at the end of the game now!

A few of us have already completed this section (which is fine) and have probably been eager to speculate on the ending. I tagged this entire topic as a spoiler, so we are free to talk about the ending and our theories about the game.

If we ever do this game again, it would probably work out better if I or whoever runs the GP just covers it in one big topic. ICO isn't terribly long and is rather unconventional in some regards.

I apologize for the poor organization of this run. We usually deal with games that have things like bosses and clearly defined areas which have to be approached methodically to avoid confusion, so ICO was a learning experience.

Thanks for joining, if you are new to Group Playthroughs and want to host your own or participate in more, check out: https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/1145-retro-revival

We are currently discussing what to cover for October, since Halloween is coming up. Also, I plan on running Mega Man X7, Unlimited Saga, and Raw Danger over the course of the next four months or so.
I am Error. Check out my YouTube channel:
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCApMBqrP3fY1s6AiqQ3yTug?

User Info: gamemaster712

gamemaster712
11 months ago#2
Shadow of the colossus.
Lord of gaming!!!(probably) 2DS FC: 2122-9429-5521 USun: Stella; Moon: Lizzie; OGTG/DEG ultimate hax breeder
Life's too short for silly worries, have fun.

User Info: fatbaldguy0

fatbaldguy0
11 months ago#3
@funkadelius You've done a great job setting up a group playthrough a lesser-known classic! Lots of people know about Ico, but fewer still have actually played it. You're right in that it's a unique game to do a GP with because it doesn't follow a typical game's course of events with clear stages/bosses - but I think you've done a marvelous job organizing and engaging the community. I'm looking forward to spending some time discussing some of the deeper meanings and speculations here - curious to hear what y'all think!

Ico was very groundbreaking when it was released in many ways that are now normal for games, so many of us here on the board were left with lasting impressions and memories from our experience with the game. I hope you all have been able to take away something meaningful in your own experiences.

Finally, for those that have finished the game, there's a _quite_ long exposition on the game's meanings from way back when written by an old Ico board legend with the name of @PeterEliot. Back when the game came out and shortly after, there were many discussions sparked by this game and some of us (including PE) took those discussions to deeper, more meaningful level. If you have the time, I highly suggest taking a read of the (Mega Spoilers) If you haven't completed the game, enter at your own risk thread stickied in this board.
"I thought what i would do was pretend to be one of those deaf-mutes."

funkadelius
11 months ago#4
@fatbaldguy0 thank you. It was certainly fun talking about this game with everyone. I'll wait until some people post before I put my two cents in about the story.

User Info: Cardamomok

Cardamomok
11 months ago#5
Ok, this last part was definitely my favourite. It was much more in line with what I originally hoped/expected out of ICO.

I also like how ICO and Shadow of the Colossus expand on each other's lore no matter what order you play them in.

Even though I have not become a fan of ICO, I'm glad to have completed it and to have found out that group playthroughs are really cool.

funkadelius
11 months ago#6
Cardamomok posted...
Ok, this last part was definitely my favourite. It was much more in line with what I originally hoped/expected out of ICO.

I also like how ICO and Shadow of the Colossus expand on each other's lore no matter what order you play them in.

Even though I have not become a fan of ICO, I'm glad to have completed it and to have found out that group playthroughs are really cool.

I agree the game really comes together at the end.

@gamemaster712 Shadow of the Colosus would be a lot of fun, but I have to see if I can get it to run reliably on PCSX2. So far I've had a lot of problems with it.

ICO was a fun experience, though I feel like the game sags a bit in the middle. So the story....All of the characters are very archetypal, which is interesting, because I feel like the creator went out of his way to make the game sort of like a fairy tale. In fact, I kept thinking about the movie Dark Crystal while playing ICO for some reason.

My guess is that Ico and Yorda are members of two different races, especially since Yorda has a sort of Elven quality to her. She's also magical, while Ico is physical. Was the queen draining life from the horned children and turning them into her ghostly servants? Or did the sacrifices serve another purpose? I haven't really thought the symbolism through yet, but I like the message of love and perseverance.

gamemaster712
11 months ago#7
I hope you figure out a way.
It’s one of my favorite games of all time.
Both graphically and unique yet simple gameplay wise
Lord of gaming!!!(probably) 2DS FC: 2122-9429-5521 USun: Stella; Moon: Lizzie; OGTG/DEG ultimate hax breeder

User Info: Ajogamer

Ajogamer
11 months ago#8
Finished playing through this chapter, too. Seeing as this is the final chapter and a spoiler warning's already in the title (plus I may well be the last here to finish anyway), I'm not gonna bother spoiler tagging, since my post would probably be like half black bars otherwise, heh. Anyway, onto my thoughts:

Not too much to say about most of the earlier gameplay sections. I found the first few fairly enjoyable, but was a bit disappointed with the second tower area, since it really didn't feel much different than the arena, even in terms of puzzles. It wasn't bad or anything, just a bit too samey overall.

Interesting cutscene upon reaching the front gate. I also immediately noticed that Yorda being injured carried over to the gameplay, as well. Seems like a nice attention to detail, especially for how short a time it's even relevant.

I knew it was unlikely to work, but the first thing I tried upon the bridge separating was to try and call over Yorda, so I wound up missing the opportunity to jump across, and had no choice but to wait until the bridge completely retracted and dropped Ico to his death. Didn't take long to figure out what I had to do the second time however, since there really weren't many options. I also found it amusing how what happened in the cutscene just after resulted in Ico dropping down into the water anyway (just via a cutscene instead). Nonetheless, I still found the overall cutscene to be touching.

I really liked the final stretch a lot. While it's fairly straightforward in terms of gameplay, I really liked the shift in feel and atmosphere from the rest of the game. I also thought location itself looked pretty nice, with the natural caves and the like.

I also really liked the room just before the final boss, with the vulture-like shadow monsters. I was thinking earlier in this chapter how the shadows really don't feel like much of a threat ever since I got the sword, but this took it further, with them not even attempting to fight me. Add to it the BGM and their erratic movements, and the whole thing felt rather eerie. At first I wasn't entirely sure if fighting them was what I had to do, though after a bit, I noticed the coffin-like things on the side were lighting up with each one killed, which let me know I was on the right track. That also strikes me as interesting, considering Ico started the game stuck in one of those things.

The final boss fight was interesting, and felt rather different than final bosses in most games; much more like a puzzle than an actual fight. Does seem fitting given the rest of the game, though. Felt easy as a result, but I still enjoyed it.

And with that, game finished!

Overall, I'd say I really liked Ico a good deal, and definitely felt glad I played it. I agree with others that it felt a little slow and like it dragged a bit on occasion (particularly the middle, where the initial intrigue's worn off a bit and there isn't much with cutscenes or the like), though other than the one silly puzzle I got stuck on in chapter 3, I was still consistently enjoying it, since I like the environment-based puzzle style, and the game's great with its atmosphere. Like others, I also felt like it really came together during the final stretch; I really felt pretty engaged and curious from the start of that portion until the ending, and found the way it all played out fairly satisfying.

Far as symbolism's concerned, I think my takeaway was overall pretty similar to the spoiler-tagged stuff in funkadelius' post. The only other aspect I can think to touch upon would be Ico losing his horns. Suppose it could just be for dramatic effect, or perhaps holding some meaning like "sacrifice" or helping illustrate it as the final point he's fully breaking free from his past as a cursed child who was seen as having no purpose beyond being a simple sacrifice. (On another note, I found the initial horn-loss slightly shocking, since it took me a moment to realize it was just one of his horns, and not something like a hand or arm.)

gamemaster712
11 months ago#9
Ico would’ve been number 40 had that tomb not fall over in the opening...
Really simple as that.
I’m just wondering why they leave such a powerful weapon lying right there...
Guess those people from the beginning had to stash the sword somewhere

funkadelius
11 months ago#10
@Ajogamer Good point about the horns, I forgot to mention them.

@gamemaster712 I was thinking the same thing about that sword. The Queen must have really wanted those sacrifices to leave it there for the villagers.

One a side note, I looked up the runic (that's the language Yorda speaks) dialogue. There isn't much to it aside from a line that provides some insight into the queen's personality.
  1. Boards
  2. ICO
  3. ICO Group Playthrough Chapter 4: **Spoilers** The Sea, and The Queen
  • Topic Archived