• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. ICO
  3. ICO Group Playthrough Chapter 2: Fear of Falling

User Info: funkadelius

funkadelius
1 year ago#21
fatbaldguy0 posted...
FYI - I'm running a little late, but I found everything I need. I'm going to have to reset some settings/passwords, so I apologize, but will ping this thread back when I'm online with a link.

Ooh I almost forgot. I'll be up a whole so I'll check back.
I am Error. Check out my YouTube channel:
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCApMBqrP3fY1s6AiqQ3yTug?

User Info: fatbaldguy0

fatbaldguy0
1 year ago#22
Just went live here! https://www.twitch.tv/7ucky. I'll archive it too.

@funkadelius, @gamemaster712
"I thought what i would do was pretend to be one of those deaf-mutes."

User Info: gamemaster712

gamemaster712
1 year ago#23
It’s late for me but pretty fun to check things out a bit
Lord of gaming!!!(probably) 2DS FC: 2122-9429-5521 USun: Stella; Moon: Lizzie; OGTG/DEG ultimate hax breeder
Life's too short for silly worries, have fun.

funkadelius
11 months ago#24
fatbaldguy0 posted...
Just went live here! https://www.twitch.tv/7ucky. I'll archive it too.

I ended up falling asleep, but checked out the archive. Did they change the way the shadows behave in the ps3 version?

User Info: fatbaldguy0

fatbaldguy0
11 months ago#25
Sorry about that guys, I underestimated the work it took to get a stream up.

I've archived a clip here that cuts out some of the beginning and end fluff: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/313820243

This is basically 1/2 of the game and I'll just have a go at the latter 1/2 in one fell swoop in another stream. Maybe today? :)

funkadelius posted...
Did they change the way the shadows behave in the ps3 version?

I don't know, actually. There's nothing online about this, but they seem easier right? I can't tell if that's because I know their patterns now or if they are indeed easier.
"I thought what i would do was pretend to be one of those deaf-mutes."

User Info: Ajogamer

Ajogamer
11 months ago#26
Alright, just finished playing through this chapter.

At the end of the trolley tracks, I was a bit surprised to see a save point, since there was a save just before the tracks in the original PS2 version I'm playing (I wonder if that's why that save point's position got moved), though I also died at the jump immediately after, so was glad it was there. Think the only reason I missed the jump was due to not using the analog stick the first time for better precision.

After making the bridge fall and beginning to cross it, the info mentioned in the previous topic came in handy, since some enemies spawned, but the green statue-things were really close, so I just walked to them with Yorda, and problem solved. ...Or so I thought, but there were enemies in the next room too, so I began to fight them off. I felt like I was really getting the hang of the combat system (simple as it is), since I had no problem keeping them at bay, though after about 2-3 waves of them (and the combat music stopping between each wave), I realized they'd likely be spawning endlessly, so I took Yorda and ran around in search of where I had to go. Turned out this would've been easier than fighting them off anyway, since I found and made it to the next set of statues without much trouble.

Shortly after, cutscene. seems that shadowy woman is Yorda's mother, but assuming she's the one responsible for all the shadow-monsters trying to kidnap her, I wonder why she didn't take Yorda during the cutscene.

I liked the puzzle right after too, with Yorda guiding Ico on what to do. I figured out the mechanic quick since Yorda wound up suddenly walking halfway across the courtyard upon me sitting on the save couch, heh.

The fight between the graveyard and windmill sections was the first one that gave me more trouble. The first time, my intuition was to just call Yorda up the ledge and go, but that didn't really work too well, since the shadows were quicker than Yorda was, then upon going down to fight me, the quicker small ones started chain-pummeling Ico, which kept me almost constantly on the ground, and unable to rescue Yorda in time. The second try went better though, since I just went down immediately to fight them. Still the same risk of getting stunned on the ground for a while if not careful, but that's lot easier to avert when not panicking to pull Yorda out of the shadow-portal, heh.

The windmill immediately looked familiar, since it's a section I remember I got stuck on for a bit many years ago. As such, I also immediately remembered the solution was to jump on the windmill blades, but I didn't remember any of the specifics, so it still took me a tiny bit to figure out how. Only so many options though, so it didn't take very long; certainly much quicker than when I played the game many years ago. And with that, reached the save point that marks the end of this chapter!

This save point also marks the point I got stuck at before stopping many years ago, so everything from here on out's completely new to me. Makes me pretty interested to go on to the next chapter and see what's there. My current save's at 2:13 (which likely includes the few minutes AFK time as I type up my thoughts between segments), while my old save from many years ago at the same spot was 2:51; likely a result of having an easier time with the puzzles now than I did many years ago. Speaking of which, I'd definitely say I enjoy Ico's style of puzzles a good deal. They're generally simple at their core, but I like how they're more environment-based, requiring exploration and good awareness of your surroundings.

funkadelius
11 months ago#27
@Ajogamer Yorda's AI is really good, especially if you consider the age of this game and I liked the way she hunts at certain things as well. It would have been nice if the Knights of the Nine in Oblivion had half her brains.

My only complaint about her is that she freezes up when the spirits appear, but it makes sense from a story perspective, plus the game would be stupidly easy if she ran from them. To be honest, I would have crapped my pants if shadow monsters started coming out of the floor.

@fatbaldguy0 Yeah I don't remember them melting into the floor to dodge Ico, but maybe that's my faulty memory. They definitely don't do that later in the game since I paid close attention to their movements after seeing your stream. It could also be a result of me playing on an emulator.

User Info: RocketJess

RocketJess
11 months ago#28
funkadelius posted...
My only complaint about her is that she freezes up when the spirits appear, but it makes sense from a story perspective, plus the game would be stupidly easy if she ran from them. To be honest, I would have crapped my pants if shadow monsters started coming out of the floor.

That's definitely story rather than AI, and I agree, it makes sense.

The one noticable time where the AI can play up badly is on ladders. Sometimes she will climb halfway up and then stop and go back down. I think it happens if if Ico is standing right at the 'getting-off point' of the ladder, so the AI looks ahead, sees him as an obstacle and decides that Yorda can't take that path. So it's best to move off to the side when you've climbed a ladder and are waiting for her to catch up.
RocketJess, blasting off again!
PSN: iscah_rambles
  1. Boards
  2. ICO
  3. ICO Group Playthrough Chapter 2: Fear of Falling
  • Topic Archived