• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. ICO
  3. ICO Group Playthrough Chapter 1: Tombs

User Info: gamemaster712

gamemaster712
1 year ago#21
On second run now
Lord of gaming!!!(probably) 2DS FC: 2122-9429-5521 USun: Stella; Moon: Lizzie; OGTG/DEG ultimate hax breeder
Life's too short for silly worries, have fun.

User Info: funkadelius

funkadelius
1 year ago#22
gamemaster712 posted...
Well I charged through with the occasional video guides...
Should be able to assist.
Some of these puzzles are downright lame at times.

Cool. Yeah I'm interested in seeing how these puzzles turn out later.
I am Error. Check out my YouTube channel:
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCApMBqrP3fY1s6AiqQ3yTug?

gamemaster712
1 year ago#23
Don’t forget the US ps2 version have puzzle differences.
PAL version had all the good stuff later added to the collection.

Though I say from current experience..
Mace beats lightsaber...
Lord of gaming!!!(probably) 2DS FC: 2122-9429-5521 USun: Stella; Moon: Lizzie; OGTG/DEG ultimate hax breeder

User Info: fatbaldguy0

fatbaldguy0
1 year ago#24
gamemaster712 posted...
Time to shine a beacon...
@fatbaldguy0

Well the post crane section certainly had me stumped mostly...
Wonder when I’ll figure it out.
It usually seems so simple...
Chandelier is down at least

You called @gamemaster712? :D

Sorry guys! I was out of town for the start of this, but I'm back home now and looking forward to catching up.

I love reading all your observations and looking forward to providing some color of my own. I've run through Ico about 6 times over the years - being my favorite game, it's something I feel compelled to do periodically - but I'm there's always a part or two where I think to myself "oh yeah... I forgot about that". And, of course, every time I have to pull over and gaze around the scenery to take it all in again.

I'll be back in lockstep with y'all tomorrow for the second segment!
"I thought what i would do was pretend to be one of those deaf-mutes."

gamemaster712
1 year ago#25
@fatbaldguy0
I called but by this point I know the game well enough to beat it twice. 😋

User Info: fatbaldguy0

fatbaldguy0
1 year ago#26
Regarding combat, there are a couple of things that may be of some help.

The game is extremely minimalist by design as you all know and the combat is no exception. There's one simple 3-hit combo, a few different weapons and that's it. Ico is just a boy, not a warrior/knight/soldier so it stands to reason he'd not be a master swordsman. It can definitely be frustrating at times, though, but there are a couple tips worth sharing to help you deal with those pesky shadows. RocketJess already called out the best one! (and one I didn't know about til years after my first playthrough)

1) Unlocking the idol doors (those greenish stone statues that requires Yorda to open to proceed).

RocketJess posted...
If there are "statue gates" nearby (like the ones leading out of the cage chamber) then bringing Yorda to activate them will also destroy any shadows in the area.

Yep! Any time you open these with Yorda while shadows are present in the area, it will vaporize that entire instance of shadows - even the ones that haven't yet spawned! This means you can just rush to the end of troublesome areas to the idol doors instead of whack-whack-whacking a bunch of shadows.

2) Third hit knockdown. The third hit in the combo always knocks shadows down, giving you. break from dealing with them. You don't need to hit a shadow with all three hits to knock it down, just the final hit. This is useful when fighting multiple shadows at once: use the first couple to lightly stun the shadow in front of you, then whip around and use the third to knock down the one sneaking up behind you.
"I thought what i would do was pretend to be one of those deaf-mutes."
  1. Boards
  2. ICO
  3. ICO Group Playthrough Chapter 1: Tombs
  • Topic Archived