• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. ICO
  3. Still playing for the first time.

User Info: hiandbye95

hiandbye95
5 years ago#21
Alright! Now that I've finished the game, I took a look at the cheats section - didn't looking at the alternate endings tough - and as I predicted when I saw the weird symbol on the new save file: There's now English subtitles for Yorda! Yippieh! :)

So the last "cheat" tells me about the 2 secret weapons: a mace (that I missed) in the first playthrough and a lightsaber in consequent playthroughs. Now, where is that exactly? How did I miss it?

I was pretty sure that there were alternate endings, even before looking at the Cheats section.
They are probably: At the bridge (as explained above) or at the dock where I found the sword and then didn't decide to go swimming or if you leave after the Queen appears in her throne.

Feel free to tell me!
Feel free to tell me and ask me about anything now! :)

Text Dump Finished!

About the replay value: Now that Yorda has English subtitles I'd love to play it again to find out more.. but I think I'll instead watch someone else play it: the Let's Player who also entertained me with her SoTC LP and beautifully calm voice: Lucahjin. And alongside I'll read the English script.

This reminds me: I realize, an easier way for me to record my first reactions would have been a Let's Play, obviously, but there's more to an LP than just reactions. I don't have the talents to entertain throughout a whole game, so, yeah.

I realize: there's still a lot of unanswered questions. Who built the castle? Where did the Queen and Yorda come from? And.. other questions I can't think of right now.

But, I guess those are the type of questions the creators wanted to leave open... or just thought them too much of a hassle to answer.

You haven't played SoTC yet? You need to! I know it's expensive, but you need to!

User Info: Mosleth

Mosleth
5 years ago#22
Sprecht ihr beide hier deutsch? Hahaha.

I think that if there's anything we can say that team Ico has done extremely well (outside of its minimalist "less is more" approach to game design), it's the forging of bonds between protagonists and their partners. I, like you, played SotC before playing Ico – many years before, in fact – and one of the things I remember most vividly from both games is that they each have a moment where your partner (Ico: Yorda, SotC: Agro) slips away from you – and in both moments, my instinctive reaction was to jump after my partner.

The game manipulates that a bit, with its suggestive camera angles during those scenes, but it's very impressive how they made me think "I don't want to lose Yorda/Agro", and "I trust my Yorda/Agro completely". Especially considering how you can't directly communicate with either of them.

There's this Irish youtube reviewer by the name of Matthewmatosis who's made a video on Ico and SotC, and I think his material is probably the best as far as youtube reviewing goes, so now that you've played this game through, I recommend watching it. And SotC afterwards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-nr_hw0oQg

I probably shouldn't press the point but I seriously think this guy's stuff is golden; he did a great review of Ghost Trick, the entire Zelda series and the MGS series, he also made a great critique of BioShock Infinite and another critique of Dark Souls 2. He also did an absolutely fantastic playthrough/commentary of Demon's Souls. He's the kind of reviewer who does serious research on a game's history and design before making his videos.
prisa vere Sol

User Info: Pyrella

Pyrella
5 years ago#23
Ich lebe in Deutschland xD

I recognized lots of things I said and felt during the end of the game :D ICO really does a great job with that and it still has the same impact on me every time.

Secret weapon: Mace and light sword. Internet says you can't get the sword without getting the mace in the playthrough before. But (in the european PAL version) I got the sword immediately. It's very cool and powerful and the length of the sword extends when holding on to Yordas hand - on swish and the shadows are done for ^^
I got it on my 2nd run. It's in the area with the water mill, you must hit a tree out there, then walk back inside with that ball that fell from the tree, open a secret passage (wall between the two stairs) and "play basketball" ^^

There isn't really a different ending, just an extended one, but it has to be a New Game + to see it at the end of the game.

Mosleth, thanks for the link! I will definitely look into both reviews (seen a SoTC LP a while ago)!

SotC is still on my "Hell I want this" list. I only have a PS2 and the PS2 game is still too expensive for me, but I hope to get my hands on a used copy with an OK price (for my wallet).
Playing (PS2): Final Fantasy VII, Final Fantasy XII, Grandia II, Devil may cry

hiandbye95
5 years ago#24
Yeah, that was greatly informative. Really an analysis instead of a review.

I think part of why we seek out information and conversation about this game is because it's so minimalistic. You just want to have more because the game gives you so little.

Yeah, I also noticed some parallels (well one) between this and SoTC. Pyrella - and anybody else who hasn't played SoTC - I don't want you to read this because it contains spoilers about the ending. It's not that spectacular or important anyways.

In both games the female characters end up in a different world and slightly to hugely inconvenient situations:
Yorda in a free, populated world - but it's all unfamiliar to her and she doesn't speak the language.
Mono in a closed off, lonely, and hostile world with likely no knowledge of how she got there.

User Info: Mosleth

Mosleth
5 years ago#25
Ah! I'm actually Norwegian, but I have been trying to learn more German in the past few years. I've gotten pretty comfortable with the language grammatically (Norwegian being a Germanic language means my groundwork is relatively solid to begin with, of course), but I need to improve my vocabulary before I can consider myself anywhere near fluent.

Also, thinking about it, I have the ICO/SotC collection on the PS3, so my PS2 copy of the game is really just sitting still with absolutely nothing to do. I don't think I'm going to be playing it any time soon, so I honestly wouldn't mind shipping it your way so that you can play it and finish it. It's something of a collector's item, so I don't want to just give it away completely, but I would rather have it be played by someone else than just sit on my shelf. Is that something you would be interested in? You could just ship it back whenever.
prisa vere Sol

hiandbye95
5 years ago#26
Oh, hello everybody. Didn't notice your posts before posting mine.

To be honest: A mace sounds even more epic than a lightsaber.

Or, you know, I could lend you my copy, since we both live in Germany.

By the way: Took a quick look at the sticky: Holy cow! Now, that's dedication.
I guess you can tell a game is great when there's incredibly long analyses and novels written about it.

User Info: Pyrella

Pyrella
5 years ago#27
Thank you, both of you, but I would hate to send it back to you xD I will bravely wait until the time comes for my own copy :) All the excitement while ordering, waiting and putting in the CD is a thing I love and somehow belongs to my gaming experience now ^^
But again, thank you very much for the offer :)
I am already spoiled because I am too interested in SotC, I*ve seen a LP and read various blogs and stuff about the game.

The sticky is awesome, I read the whole thing on PeterEliots page he put online back then, was an easier read without the comments.
http://www.rose-tainted.net/ico/essays/petereliot_annotation.html

I have a Kindle Copy of the Ico - book, it was a great read after playing the game. It's not THAT official, but creator Fumito Ueda gave it a green light.

Oh, and that's a plus I guess, learning German from Norwegian! I'm trying to learn japanese, huge challenge.
Playing (PS2): Final Fantasy VII, Final Fantasy XII, Grandia II, Devil may cry

hiandbye95
5 years ago#28
Yeah, I would love to speak Japanese, but learning it just seems too difficult.
Good luck to you, though!
  1. Boards
  2. ICO
  3. Still playing for the first time.
  • Topic Archived