• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Pokemon Red Version
  3. Important question about MissingNo and permanent game corruption beyond repair

User Info: Gensokyo

Gensokyo
9 years ago#11
About the earliest report of a killer glitch occurring...whenever I've found any guide or information about the glitch and it's explanations, I've never actually found any date of it happening mentioned. Just information of what could happen if you use the glitch. So I can't help you there.

Also, like I mantioned in the main post, I've been using Pokémon Red and never had any trouble with the glitch. And I've had friends with Pokémon Blue using the same glitch successfully. I also have a French version of Pokémon Blue, where the glitch does not even seem to work/exist at all, if this is of any help.

Out of all the MissingNo glitch guides I've found, I don't think I've found any information that is not covered in any of the guides here on GameFAQs, and some in the varios glitch topics on the Gen I Pokémon boards (mainly by gunbladelad77).

I think that's as much as I can help you right now.
3DS FC: 4742 - 5987 - 5552

User Info: Gunbladelad

Gunbladelad
9 years ago#12
I think the first report would likely have been my own, back at around 2000 / 2001. A few people did mention at later dates, but they were pretty spread out with a couple of clusters over the next 7 years. Of them all, only 1 other did mention his couldn't seem to get fixed, but he admitted using combinations of glitches and gameshark codes at the time. For myself, I was just insanely unlucky with a single Missingno encounter.

Game wise, it was Pokemon Blue (UK version). As I didn't get into the games immediately on launch, it may well have been the 2nd or third batch of EU specific cartridges.
R.I.P. Throwback Mode - 23rd April 2014
Scottish Gamers unite - https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/1374-scotland

User Info: zoogelio

zoogelio
9 years ago#13
So, from everything I gather, MissingNo. as the destroyer of games was much ado about nothing, an exaggerated tale to scare people away from the lost Pokemon that exists yet has people deny its existence (i.e. it has programmed data, consistent data, and that name. The odds of randomly arriving at a name like that are astronomical. It was programmed into the game even if halfway aborted as a failsafe to prevent a game crash from a null encounter, a dummied enemy that can actually be encountered thanks to the glitch). For years it kind of seemed like that but there was a little doubt from uncertainty to the number of destroyed carts. With a number that small... yeah, that can be attributed to miniscule manufacturing error or data damage in putting the game on the cart.

User Info: gbchaosmaster

gbchaosmaster
9 years ago#14
So, from everything I gather, MissingNo. as the destroyer of games was much ado about nothing, an exaggerated tale to scare people away from the lost Pokemon that exists yet has people deny its existence

wat

i.e. it has programmed data, consistent data, and that name. The odds of randomly arriving at a name like that are astronomical. It was programmed into the game even if halfway aborted as a failsafe to prevent a game crash from a null encounter, a dummied enemy that can actually be encountered thanks to the glitch

Name is one thing, a whole pokemon is another. Missingno's name could be just an error message, programmed to appear as the name of a null encounter (if you didn't know, some of the wackiest glitches produce messages like "# error" http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Error_codes), whereas the pokemon itself could have been 100% created from the game.

MIssingno as a pokemon has nothing consistent about it other than the fact that there are many identical missingnos, which could very well mean the game always draws the same data when faced with an encounter with those hex slots.

Therefore, there isn't really much aborted about Missingno. You may just be thinking it was more purposeful than it actually is.

For years it kind of seemed like that but there was a little doubt from uncertainty to the number of destroyed carts. With a number that small... yeah, that can be attributed to miniscule manufacturing error or data damage in putting the game on the cart.

How about the fact that Missingno's encounters write into the save file in some way (as seen in Stadium - hence the delay), and there are several other glitch pokemon that DO glitch up the game much quicker and more often. A chance is a chance, but you are just assuming Missingno has nothing to do with it.
gbchaosmaster

User Info: Gunbladelad

Gunbladelad
9 years ago#15
On the contrary, Zoogelio, to date, I'm only aware of one pokemon game that Missingno has effectively destroyed by itself - my own.

While nobody else in that time has reported a problem like this on these forums, it doesn't mean that it can't or won't happen again. It has happened once, and for me, that's proof enough that there is the possibility - however remote - that it could possibly happen to someone else at some point in the future.

As such, I do feel it is only fair to give warning to this effect. It's far wiser to give a word of caution that's not needed, than not to give that word of caution when it IS needed.
R.I.P. Throwback Mode - 23rd April 2014
Scottish Gamers unite - https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/1374-scotland

User Info: zoogelio

zoogelio
9 years ago#16
^
I think I wasn't being clear. Obviously it can happen, but your case was so infintesimally small out of the whole volume of Red/Blues, that it comes down to a small error. It reminded me of those Castlevania cartridges that freezed up on the Grim Reaper boss.

Yes, it may have happened to others, but as I mentioned earlier, I read other forums, including archived posts from 1998-2001 to get a timeline of knowledge (at least of the traces online, like fossils. I'm only seeing what's archived, the deserts, whereas the would-be fossils in the forest break down), and from as active as the Pokemon community has been since its inception, it's clear MissingNo: destroyer of cartridges is something extrodinarily rare, so small it matches the frequency of reports of people whose game is damaged in a way no one else's is. Beyond Castlevania, with RPGs you sometimes hear about an event item, a guaranteed 100% drop not dropping or something not entering the inventory when it should, making the game unbeatable or copies of some disc games, pristine, yet there's some kind of data error and the game crashes upon entering a specific area each time. Every now and then there's a report like that about a game. Your report fits that, only difference is the error was off the beaten track (Cinnebar coast by way of Old Man Tutorial). Look at how many reports of defunct batteries we've heard about with R/B/Y, G/S/C over the years. If the odds weren't astronomical, there would be more reports of the destructive MissingNo.

And back at the time of Gen I when MissingNo. was a hot topic, reports like yours were very common, people cautioning others to not even try the glitch because it can destroy their game (not merely glitch up the Hall of Fame). Even when saying its just the save file, several claiming that corrected it and those others claimed it was the whole game/new files too, but it always seemed to be "they heard", never happening to them (like the whole I have a cousin... line of crap). It was an urban legend about the game. And many posters were loyal goody-two-shoes that felt it was wrong (thanks to Nintendo officially saying it was wrong and bad) and tried to persuade people from even trying the glitch regardless of whether they used it in battles or not. They touted that as key proof to scare people straight. Some even reported fighting MissingNo. in a linked game would screw up the other person's game (sort of trying to quarantine those who used the glitch) and some people would play a prank on their friends by playing their Pokemon game and catching MissingNo. It had the whole airs of something taboo, which leads some to warn others away from it, afraid of the glitch, and others curious to try it out, not to mention the whole "gotta catch them all"/ collectors interest, the thrill of the chase/hunt and this being a lost Pokemon of sorts, deeply hidden in the game, as similarly obscure as Mew was. It was a topic that divided the community then, and it had echoes of the same lines in the whole emulation vs. anti-emulation going on at its strongest at that time.

User Info: gbchaosmaster

gbchaosmaster
9 years ago#17
Did you ignore my post?
gbchaosmaster

User Info: gjdsj

gjdsj
9 years ago#18
Missingno's name is just there to fill the gaps in the Generation I pokemon ID system, which is not consistent with the pokedex numbers and is not contiguous. Because it is not contiguous, they had to put something to fill in the gaps and they apparently chose the descriptive name "missing number". There is also a pokedex entry for missingno in Japanese Blue, but it wasn't translated for the US Red/Blue... That is the only intentionally programmed missingno data. Everything else is just other game data being misinterpreted as pokemon data.
  1. Boards
  2. Pokemon Red Version
  3. Important question about MissingNo and permanent game corruption beyond repair
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A