• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Pokemon Red Version
  3. Game Freak had a way to get Mew?

User Info: occono

occono
11 years ago#1
From Wikipedia:
"Unlike other characters in the Pokémon franchise, Mew was not initially conceived by Ken Sugimori, but by Game Freak programmer Shigeki Morimoto. Morimoto programmed Mew into the game secretly, just prior to its release in Japan, intending it to be a Pokémon Game Freak staff members would know about and be able to obtain."

That's cited....Does that mean Game Freak just had Mew in their parties in programming versions of the game? Or is the Mew Glitch actually just a very convoluted method their never intended to be discovered?
"In spite of language, in spite of intelligence and intuition and sympathy, one can never really communicate anything to anybody"-Aldous Huxley

User Info: gbchaosmaster

gbchaosmaster
11 years ago#2
Ask yourself: why would Game Freak come up with such a complicated way for THEM to get Mew when they have the knowledge to directly program their games to their hearts' content?

And if you didn't know, the way for us to obtain Mew was through an event.

Therefore, we're left with the obvious: the mew glitch is a glitch, and glitches are, by definition, unintentional.
gbchaosmaster

occono
11 years ago#3
The Event wasn't originally planned though, when Satoshi started blathering on about the secret Mew Pokemon (Well, Mew is referenced in the game's storyline...)they had to let people get at it somehow....so I was wondering how GF got to Mew before then....

How did the old Mew events work, I've wondered? R/B/Y weren't programmed with events in mind. When you went to one did somebody just trade a Mew to you?
"In spite of language, in spite of intelligence and intuition and sympathy, one can never really communicate anything to anybody"-Aldous Huxley

User Info: Gunbladelad

Gunbladelad
11 years ago#4
OK, IIRC, the way the events worked, was pretty much just like a cheat cartridge. It would simply adjust some lines of code to add a Mew to your game.

Physically, you would plug your Game Boy Cartridge into a machine, and press "A" on a SNES pad attached to it. Hey presto, you'd have Mew.

The "Mew glitch" is simply that - a glitch. Several unrelated segments of code, accidently working together, to produce an un-programmed result. It was never intended to in the game, never mind being a way to get Mew.
Official FF7SB Topic Killer

occono
11 years ago#5
Ah, OK, thanks. Is there any photos of that machine?

Gunbladelad
11 years ago#6
I'll have a look through my old magazines & see if I can find one. I don't think there is a picture, however...

User Info: dswizard

dswizard
11 years ago#7
I recently attended the UK Video Game Championship where strange machines were present for both the Milotic download and the tournament games. Reading about it over the internet, the whole download thing seems very secretive and special, but it really isn't. I don't know much about the machines, but I wouldn't give it much thought. Downloads exist for fun, to market the franchise. There's no cryptic secret that would be revealed if we knew exactly how the machines work. It just works the same way as a cheat cartridge. Events, downloads, machines etc. are and always were there simply for fun. Nintendo has moved on to new games and systems to market with new events, it really doesn't matter.

Gunbladelad
11 years ago#8
The Advance Gen "event machines" were nothing more than GBA's with a custom-made GBA cartridge in it.

Of course, a Gamecube can also act as a GBA Event machine - Several Gamecube games give unique Pokemon for that generation. (The US Pokemon Colloseum demo disc & PAL Pokemon Channel give Jirachi for example).

I've not had a chance to look through my magazines yet. As stated, however, the 1st 2 gens (R/B/Y & G/S/C) of giveaway machines simply act like a cheat cartridge...

User Info: ShadowMario3

ShadowMario3
11 years ago#9
Wouldn't people who have the Japanese versions of Red and Green know about Mew? I thought it was a present for getting all 150 Pokemon.

And yeah, it makes sense for the giveaway machines to be exactly like cheat carts, as there were those giveaways at the NYC PokeCenter (after Crystal's release) for Pokemon with special moves, which are just hacked in (as recognized by Pokemon Stadium 2 by making the moves pink).

Gunbladelad
11 years ago#10
The Japanese also had to rely on download machines. However, they did have another Mew Glitch, that involved a problem with the menus.

Notice how the menu positions of "Item" & "Pokemon" switched between the western Game Boy releases and the GBA games? Well, they were actually returning to the original layout.

In the Japanese game, going to the item menu in-battle & pressing select on an item (6th or 7th - I can't remember for sure), then cancelling out & switching Pokemon to a water type, would transform that Pokemon to Mew.
  1. Boards
  2. Pokemon Red Version
  3. Game Freak had a way to get Mew?
  • Topic Archived

Need More Help?

1. Guides and Walkthroughs 117 Guides / Maps
  2. GameFAQs Q&A 252 Questions (252 Answered)

GameFAQs Q&A