You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Pokemon Scarlet
  3. I feel like Generation 9 will be a four-year generation.
Generations typically only last for three years, with the only exceptions so far being Gens 3 and 4, both of which were four years long.

This time, I feel as if Gen 9 will be the same. Mainly because 2026 will be the 30th anniversary for the series, and you know that they would want to do something big for such an occasion. So, why not make the debut of the 10th generation on that date to mark that occasion as well?

Additionally, it'd also offer them more time to fine-tune whatever they have planned for Gen 10; I know we're taking about Game Freak here, but who knows? There's still the small chance that they will surprise us. Maybe they'll even put an "Everyone Is Here" and allow every Pokemon to be usable in the Gen 10 games. That may be wishful thinking, but what else do you think would be appropriate for a 30th anniversary, 10th generation-debuting title?

(Though it's also possible that they'll just shill Kanto again.)
I often wonder if we are growing as a people... or in fact, regressing.
It would be nice if they s*** canned “dexit” in gen 9 and not screw over the fans. Yes there are a lot of Pokemon, and yes it is possible to have them all if some serious work was done.
doa-plus.com - We Press Forward. . . By Pressing Back.
Andrex_93 4 days ago#3
I'm not sure if they'll get swayed enough by "30th anniversary!" to hold off like that, because the other option would be get the games out sooner and make more money faster.

After all, if they were looking to slow down to make a new pair release line up with the 30th anniversary, why not wait a bit more now that BDSP and LA were still relatively fresh?

Don't get me wrong, I'd be ecstatic if you were right and they're finally gonna wait a bit longer, but I'll believe it when I see it, or at least not now that Gen 9 hasn't even properly started, yet, so we know nothing of how it will shape up.
"Actors are agents of change. A film, a piece of theater, a piece of music, or a book can make a difference. It can change the world." - Alan Rickman
(edited 4 days ago)
Plasmas 4 days ago#4
RiKuToTheMiGhtY posted...
It would be nice if they s*** canned “dexit” in gen 9 and not screw over the fans. Yes there are a lot of Pokemon, and yes it is possible to have them all if some serious work was done.

I believe you mean "minor"

There's only about 61 Pokemon left that aren't "switch-ready"
They just refuse to patch them all into a single game
Merlin: Remember to believe in magic... or I'll kill you.
(edited 4 days ago)
Plasmas posted...
I believe you mean "minor"

There's only about 61 Pokemon left that aren't "switch-ready"
They just refuse to patch them all into a single game
No I meant “serious work”, they decided to be lazy and only leaving out some after both expansions just tells people “yeah we could do it but mad about cell phones and it hard” which was on record about why they decided to not have every mon.

I love Pokemon but I do not forgive or accept their bulls*** excuses, they have plenty of money to hire more people to get the job done.
doa-plus.com - We Press Forward. . . By Pressing Back.
(edited 4 days ago)
This just isn’t happening. The 25th anniversary’s game was BDSP. 30th is arguably less special in my mind than 25th.
October 5th, 2021 - Sora is finally here.
xF0x 4 days ago#7
By now the Switch is already 5 years old and it's time to be thinking of what's next, but with those record breaking sales it's probably going to become the first ever system with three consecutive Pokémon generations so even if the successor releases shortly after gen 9 it would be hard to justify abandoning an install base this massive. Still though, Game Freak might want to not screw up the transition between the Switch and whatever replaces it, they better get those darn dev kits early this time. Their transition from 3DS to Switch was such a s***show and showed how utterly unprepared they were for it.
Everything will be fire.
xF0x 4 days ago#8
Mudkip_in_Space posted...
This just isn’t happening. The 25th anniversary’s game was BDSP. 30th is arguably less special in my mind than 25th.
Fully completed decades are typically celebrated way more lavishly than the stop-gap ones that end on 5s. 30th anniv is going to be very special and it would be a waste not to arrange something big on it.
Everything will be fire.
RedDiamond 4 days ago#9
Gen 8:

• 2018: LGPE
  • 2019: SWSH
  • 2020: SWSH expan$ions
  • 2021: BDSP
  • 2022: PLA

You mean, like the last generation?
kevin804635 4 days ago#10
Funny you should say this. I saw this article yesterday speculating that the Switch could last another 4 years based on some comments made by Nintendo's president the other week: https://www.gamesradar.com/nintendo-says-moving-to-its-next-console-is-a-major-concern/

"It's clear that Nintendo is focusing on winning the trust of consumers to support the follow-up to the Nintendo Switch. When that might be, however, is not entirely clear - Furukawa and Nintendo of America president Doug Bowser have said in the past that the Nintendo Switch is still roughly in the middle of its overall lifecycle. If this is the case, we could be waiting at least another four years to see the next Nintendo console."

I recommend reading the full article for context, but that makes sense to me. And Game Freak may or may not want to wait to put Gen 10 out as a launch title for the next console. If they do, then extending Gen 9 to fill out the rest of the Switch's life would be the play to make.
  1. Boards
  2. Pokemon Scarlet
  3. I feel like Generation 9 will be a four-year generation.