• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Metroid Dread
  3. David Jaffe says Metroid games are poorly designed...

User Info: OdinXivraj

OdinXivraj
5 days ago#1
So David Jaffe; director of games such as Twisted Metal and God of War, seems to be dissatisfied with Metroid Dreads approach to level design.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahIy-DWUFg4

Nevermind the fact that:

• There is a tutorial pop up explaining hidden blocks in detail.

• You can clearly see a passage up there

• Enemies are place there to encourage you to shoot them and possibly open the path by accident.

• The game traps you in that area to indicate that path forward is in that area.

Its even better on his twitter we're he complains about dealing with Metroid fanboys who called him out on these facts. Than of all things complains are it costing $60! Ladies and gentlemen I present to you the people who make are games. You ever wonder why they make super handhold'y games these days? Its because the people who make them think that's what good design is. Because who needs player agency?
I saw a used tire store advertising a blowout sale. Now that's irony at it's finest.
(edited 5 days ago)

User Info: Ultros7

Ultros7
5 days ago#2
He's entitled to his opinion but not to imply devs need to compromise on their design vision to cater to people who do not like any form of challenge in their games. That is the BAD kind of entitlement.
He also hasn't made a relevant video game in almost 20 years.

EDIT: https://twitter.com/davidscottjaffe/status/1447058110342828041
One of his many bad takes lately.
(edited 5 days ago)

User Info: 123chatty

123chatty
5 days ago#3
Forget about not knowing where to go, why is he so bad at killing enemies? Kinda wonder what people like him would think of super or fusion when they came out since this design isn't unique to dread.

User Info: whitaker6490

whitaker6490
5 days ago#4
Well if anyone knows anything about good game design it’s the dude who hasn’t made a good game in nearly a decade.
"I will give you a show like you have never, ever seen before. Why? Because I can." -- Shawn Michaels

User Info: Disengaged

Disengaged
5 days ago#5
Ah ha ha ha, it's extra f***ing funny because gow design is so f***ing braindead.

It's literally the game design equivalent of jingling keys at infants so they laugh and clap their hands.
This is my signature. You read my signature. It sucked.

User Info: CountDupon

CountDupon
5 days ago#6
Oh....well then I guess Metroid has always sucked
Honestly hidden block s*** is pretty annoying in metroid games. "stop and mindlessly shoot everywhere" isn't my idea of fun.

however, that jeffe guy is clearly an attention seeker. not worth giving worth to anything he says.

User Info: NeonDragon9000

NeonDragon9000
5 days ago#8
Who?
nd9k: everything i post is terrible

User Info: CountDupon

CountDupon
5 days ago#9
Ultros7 posted...
He's entitled to his opinion but not to imply devs need to compromise on their design vision to cater to people who do not like any form of challenge in their games. That is the BAD kind of entitlement.
He also hasn't made a relevant video game in almost 20 years.

EDIT: https://twitter.com/davidscottjaffe/status/1447058110342828041
One of his many bad takes lately.

Lol what is he even saying...

User Info: redxorange

redxorange
5 days ago#10
And yet every streamer I’ve watched easily figured out those hidden blocks.
You better watch who your calling a child Lois. Cause if I'm a child then you're a pedophile and I'll be damned if I'm gonna be lectured by a pervert.
  1. Boards
  2. Metroid Dread
  3. David Jaffe says Metroid games are poorly designed...
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A