• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Pokemon Brilliant Diamond
  3. Lots of gameplay changes confirmed (new XP share, autosave, etc.)

User Info: GREEN00

GREEN00
5 days ago#1
https://www.gamespot.com/articles/ pokemon-brilliant-diamond-shining-pearl -may-be-more-than-a-faithful-adaptation-for-the-better/1100-6496995/ ?utm_source=gamefaqs&utm_medium=partner&utm_content= news_module&utm_campaign=homepage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mePFpBEa4w

And on top of that, it will be easier to grow the strength of that team thanks to all Pokemon in your party receiving experience for a fight--Exp. Share is available from the start and is applicable to your entire party. That's going to be huge for helping to deal with Diamond/Pearl's level pacing issue. In Generation IV, you immediately go to fight the Elite 4 and Champion after completing all eight Gyms--there's nothing to really do in-between. That's a hard fight if you don't take the time to grind out and level all members of your team--the highest level Pokemon for the eighth Gym is 49, while the Champion has a team of Pokemon that are levels 60-66. Most Generations have a gap in strength between Gym 8 and the Champion, but Generation IV is especially tough given the size of the gap and the team that the Champion uses.

Beyond that, B. Diamond/S. Pearl adds a host of quality-of-life improvements: an autosave feature should help to make sure you don't accidently lose hours of progress, Pokemon move info will inform you whether the attack you want to do will be effective, a button on the battle screen will quickly pull up the Poke Ball page in your bag so you're not scrounging around through menus when catching Pokemon, and a waypoint marker will let you know where to go to next in case you're lost. There are an assortment of other changes too, like being able to access your PC Pokemon from anywhere.

This is a weird game. It's both slavishly faithful to the original games in some ways (seemingly excluding content and features from Platinum, etc.), but completely ignores game design elements in other instances. Some QoL improvements are so superficial so as to not be controversial, but others have massive implications for the entire game.

The new EXP share is extremely contentious, and I pray it will at least be optional this time around. Even if it isn't, it fundamentally changes the game's difficulty. That said, accessing PC Pokemon at any time is equally if not more damaging to any possible challenge the game could present, it's a feature that shouldn't exist in the series period.

And a Bethesda-style waypoint system to point you to the next mandatory location is greatly unwelcome and goes against the spirit of exploration present in the Pokemon series. Perhaps the devs were concerned the people that played Sword/Shield wouldn't know how to progress in a game that wasn't a linear hallway?

I was really excited about this game, as someone who loves D/P and put 999:59 into my copy of Pearl, but the more we learn about it the more my fears about it have sadly come true. We just aren't getting real Pokemon games anymore, even the barest of bare minimums of decency in the game design are too much to expect anymore.

EDIT: New information from a secondary article. The Gamespot article is written by someone completely incompetent who missed important details in their writeup.

https://www.vooks.net/preview-pokemon-brilliant-diamond-and-shining-pearl/

Another couple additions that will be familiar to Sword and Shield players might be a little bit more controversial. The first not so much: the games now feature auto-save, to prevent you from losing your hard-earned progress should something terrible happen. It can be turned off, however, if you’re really keen to relive the lost hours of your youth. What can’t be turned off, however, is the new Exp. Share, which, like Let’s Go or Sword and Shield, now applies to the whole party. That means every time you defeat or catch a Pokémon, your entire party will receive experience, even the ones that didn’t participate in battle. By the looks of it too, there haven’t been any major changes to the level ranges of opponents — at least not in any of the footage I’ve seen — compared to the same trainers in Diamond and Pearl. Defeated trainers also seem to give more money compare to their original counterparts, and between these two changes, you would be forgiven for worrying that these remakes might be a little (or a lot) easier than the OG games. I don’t know if experience gains have been tweaked, or some kind of other balancing has taken place, but it’s likely to be a small concern for some nonetheless, and something to look out for when reviews eventually hit ahead of launch. Like previous games, it would’ve been nice to have the option to turn it off for an extra challenge, but alas, it seems that’s not in the cards right now.

Bulls***. I'm done. Washing my hands of this game right now.
(edited 5 days ago)

User Info: Robot99

Robot99
5 days ago#2
I made a similar topic that went up literally seconds after this one, lol. Since deleted.

I'm fine with most of the QoL changes (even if I don't like some of them), but the EXP Share is - once again, as it was in SW/SH - a deal breaker for me. I can't believe I'll be skipping the remakes of my first Pokémon game, but I kinda saw it coming at this point.

Eh, at least I have Legends to look forward to.

EDIT: Didn't hear about the pointer system untill re-reading your above excerpt just now. Lol, welcome to 2021...
Favorites: Super Mario Galaxy, Pokemon Platinum Version. Interests: Pokemon, Metroid, Mario, Mega Man, Rhythm Heaven, Kirby.
Super Mario Maker 2 ID: 0DV-9NP-WXG
(edited 5 days ago)

GREEN00
5 days ago#3
Robot99 posted...
I made a similar topic that went up literally seconds after this one, lol. Since deleted.

I'm fine with most of the QoL changes (even if I don't like some of them), but the EXP Share is - once again, as it was in SW/SH - a deal breaker for me. I can't believe I'll be skipping the remakes of my first Pokémon game, but I kinda saw it coming at this point.

Eh, at least I have Legends to look forward to.

Same. Some of the changes, like the HM change, I'm not upset about. Admittedly HMs were never well implemented, and not having to drag along an HM slave is alright with me. An optional autosave feature? It's optional, whatever. The waypoint marker is insulting, but theoretically has to be pulled up so can likely be ignored.

I try to be reasonable, and open-minded. But mandatory party-wide EXP share on at all times is horses***. It being present even as an optional mechanic is dumb and unacceptable, but being mandatory just kills the game dead.

I went from sufficiently excited about this game to want to buy a Switch largely just to play it, to never wanting to touch it. The same happened with Sword/Shield. I'm at the point that I just don't care about the IP anymore, it's not made with people like me in mind at all and I've had enough.

User Info: SmokyProgg

SmokyProgg
5 days ago#4
The exp share is the last thing I needed to convince me to buy the game, but it's too bad that people who don't want it can't turn it off still :/
(o_o.,;'.\
. ||. ||. \';.',;.,.

User Info: Catmeister

Catmeister
5 days ago#5
People today seriously need waypoints to navigate a linear game lmao.

This is the point im gonna shamelessly plug Renegade Platinum for the definitive Sinnoh experience.
Troll slayer Cate: the hero Gamefaqs needs, but certainty not the one it deserves.
I popularised the term 'flopic'. Show appropriate respect.

User Info: Robot99

Robot99
5 days ago#6
SmokyProgg posted...
The exp share is the last thing I needed to convince me to buy the game

Good for you! Enjoy it for me plz :-P

Catmeister posted...

TBF, Sinnoh is the least linear setting in the series. But yes, it is a stupid change, lol.
Favorites: Super Mario Galaxy, Pokemon Platinum Version. Interests: Pokemon, Metroid, Mario, Mega Man, Rhythm Heaven, Kirby.
Super Mario Maker 2 ID: 0DV-9NP-WXG

GREEN00
5 days ago#7
Catmeister posted...

This is the point im gonna shamelessly plug Renegade Platinum for the definitive Sinnoh experience.

Just looked at a rundown of Renegade Platinum, it sound fantastic. Were you involved in it's development?
GREEN00 posted...
Same. Some of the changes, like the HM change, I'm not upset about. Admittedly HMs were never well implemented, and not having to drag along an HM slave is alright with me. An optional autosave feature? It's optional, whatever. The waypoint marker is insulting, but theoretically has to be pulled up so can likely be ignored.

I try to be reasonable, and open-minded. But mandatory party-wide EXP share on at all times is horses***. It being present even as an optional mechanic is dumb and unacceptable, but being mandatory just kills the game dead.

I went from sufficiently excited about this game to want to buy a Switch largely just to play it, to never wanting to touch it. The same happened with Sword/Shield. I'm at the point that I just don't care about the IP anymore, it's not made with people like me in mind at all and I've had enough.

There's a s*** ton of other games out right now that satisfy that itch. I wouldn't even worry about it.

I saw all this coming, but it's not the only thing steering me from buying.

User Info: Aly94AG

Aly94AG
5 days ago#9
So that means these games will be a cakewalk unlike the originals ouch. Will Cynthia have below 60 mons too, gyms will force you to have type advantage etc. making kinda to easy.
Sounds like they're trying to do lets go 2.0 sinnoh edition.
(edited 5 days ago)

User Info: SeamusOHassey

SeamusOHassey
5 days ago#10
🙄 I knew Masuda's stench would be all over this.
You're not funny and nobody likes you.
Attn: Wash your hands. Wear a mask. But most of all please get vaccinated. Just saying.
  1. Boards
  2. Pokemon Brilliant Diamond
  3. Lots of gameplay changes confirmed (new XP share, autosave, etc.)
  • Post New Message