• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Monster Hunter Rise
  3. Why from MHW people are obsessed with the meta?
Kyurem123 1 week ago#1
I know there has always been a META in monster hunter but since world people have become very obsessed with it

Now they criticize you for using complete sets or for not going full offensive with your skills or for using non-optimal weapons such as elemental Great swords

Before people did not think of using mixed sets until the endgame or even that they just use the op armor of some endgame monsters.

or they used whatever weapon they wanted anyway they were all usable besides the joke weapons

(edited 1 week ago)
fratalien 1 week ago#2
Not sure why it happened, but it’s led to some very sloppy builds.

”I have Attack Boost 7, Critical Boost 3, Weakness Exploit 3 for my raw GS build…

…but I also have Latent Power 1, Water Attack 2, and Load Shells 1.”
"My dad owns a dealership!"
Kurona 1 week ago#3
From my experience there was always a minority group kicking others for not using mixed/meta sets, it got to the point where this board started s***ting on GaijinHunter and his Top 5 best weapons videos because of these unfair kicks, you couldn't deviate from the perceived neta at all in some rooms

But also as you said this was mostly in endgame (early g-rank in GU's case), you'll still get a kick for using some of the slower weapons against the Ex Deviants or a relic farming room but it's easy to ignore these clowns
717999vlr 1 week ago#4
I think there's 3 main reasons.

First, different populations. MHW attracted a lot of the MMO crowd, which care a lot about meta because when you play a game for 10000 hours, a 2% decrease in efficiency is a lot of time.

Second, but related to the first one is that the game kind of goes in that direction as well. For the deco grind, Kulve gind and Safi grind efficiency is very important, because you're gonna be playing 200h to get the things you want. And because event quests were time limited, it was even more important, because if you didn't get waht you wanted now, you had to wait until the next rotation.

Aditionally a lot of endgame quests had DPS checks, which also force people to embrace the meta or git gud

Third, the power of armor sets. In older games, the difference in DPS between an optimized and an bad set was around 30%.
In World, it was closer to 80%.

That means someone using an unoptimized set is much more of a detriment to the team, especially in the aforementioned endgame quests
SOULR666 1 week ago#5
Fact: Those "DEEEEPSSS" builds are worthless if the hunter who uses them ends up carting 3 times
PSN: SOULR666
The fear of blood tends to create fear for the flesh
That's true of all builds.
MartinAW4 1 week ago#7
Also World introduced the simplified armor skill system which made it easy even for newer players to figure out what was optimal.

I personally cared about the meta since my first MH game MH3U back on the 3DS. Creating the most efficient sets was and still is a big part of what I enjoy doing in MH end games. So no change for me. I haven't played online in Rise except for one Rampage quest, so I cannot confirm if there are really more people who would kick you for not running the best sets.

But most likely, you will be completely fine online even with completely sub-optimal sets in 99% of cases in Rise. I cannot imagine that Rise would be stricter in its set requirements than a game like MH4U which had lv. 140 GQs.
nuke2099 1 week ago#8
SOULR666 posted...
Fact: Those "DEEEEPSSS" builds are worthless if the hunter who uses them ends up carting 3 times

So are the non "deeeps" builds. I have seen more hunters cart with their "nigh indestructible" sets because it makes them too cocky. Carters going to cart regardless of what they have.
Gamertag: Nuke2099
Axonn 1 week ago#9
717999vlr posted...
I think there's 3 main reasons.

First, different populations. MHW attracted a lot of the MMO crowd, which care a lot about meta because when you play a game for 10000 hours, a 2% decrease in efficiency is a lot of time.

This sums it up.

Kyurem123 posted...
Now they criticize you for using complete sets or for not going full offensive with your skills
I've never seen this actually happen.
But I've seen several complaining about the perceived "meta slaves".

or for using non-optimal weapons such as elemental Great swords
The only thing you're accomplishing with this is that your hit does 204 damage instead of 208. Congratulations, I guess?
Want to cure diseases with your spare computing power?
http://folding.stanford.edu/
  1. Boards
  2. Monster Hunter Rise
  3. Why from MHW people are obsessed with the meta?
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A