• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Monster Hunter Rise
  3. So I'm thinking about trying out the series but...

User Info: Chris-Hansen

Chris-Hansen
2 days ago#1
I've never been interested in Monster Hunter before because entering a creature's home to trap and kill it never sat right with me.
But after playing Stories, I'd be lying if I wasn't a little interested in the main series but I still can't get behind the idea of murdering something that's just minding its own business.
So tell me, is there a reason you actually hunt down these monsters or was my previous assumptions about the series correct?

User Info: From_Within

From_Within
2 days ago#2
In most cases, you are given a loose reason for hunting, such as the monster is running amok in a certain location. The monsters will typically pick a fight with you first while you're going about your business gathering materials, if it helps. And you can capture them to avoid killing to complete the missions and advance the plot.

There are some endgame monsters however that are too strong to be trapped or captured. Those you will have to kill. Wildlife and monster parts will be used to create and upgrade weapons and equipment as you progress. There is an Arena in the village that pits you against (what one can only assume are) captured monsters.

That's the jist of it. You should be able to come to a decision factoring your comforts and morals. You can absolutely go out of your way to hunt other wildlife and monsters in a mission, or you can avoid doing so without penalty.

User Info: Saixe

Saixe
2 days ago#3
https://monsterhunter.fandom.com/wiki/Hunter%27s_Guild
oy

User Info: tw1g_007

tw1g_007
2 days ago#4
Its really not that deep.
MHP3rd AGGL Legend [HoF]: (StickyHBG + ShieldMOD) = [AGGL]
Vindicated! Over a decade of work finally realized for my personal enjoyment. Nothing feels sweeter.

User Info: YoukaiSlayer

YoukaiSlayer
2 days ago#5
They give you reasons. Like you have to hunt down one monster because it spit on someones shoes. In one of the older games you have to kill a pink rathian because this women is jealous of it. So you know, totally solid reasons for killing things.

Fortunately and most importantly though, they aren't real, it's just a video game, no one is actually getting hurt.
I'm ninja
(you can't see me)

User Info: mojavehotwax

mojavehotwax
2 days ago#6
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/a/user_image/2/5/5/AAWbu6AAB4qv.jpg

you're basically a wildlife ranger / village protector, MH is self-aware in its adherence to a code of Hunting practice, so there's technically no overhunting or abuse of ecosystems.
be aware though there are Quest Contracts that do feel like the contrary of this though, where you may be contracted by some spoiled or entitled rich douchebag (unless it's a "Key Quest" that progresses your Rank, the Quests are optional, not that many pay attention to what the Quest Giver is asking, beyond 'Hunt the target Monster')

there's no clean kills, so be aware that you will be battling Monsters in order to seriously damage and weaken them

eventually you will progress to the Rank of Dragon Slayer towards the end, and there is no Capture of Dragons due to the danger they present, which is like fighting an environmental disaster in effect

if you give in to your inner Hunter / Gatherer survival instinct, you may very well enjoy the game.
you can ruminate much on whether you feel bad about it after. let the Material acquired from the Hunt not be wasted (though you may have perform a small genocide to get the rarer parts lol)

User Info: Chris-Hansen

Chris-Hansen
2 days ago#7
tw1g_007 posted...
Its really not that deep.

Never said it was. I just don't like killing animals that aren't hurting anyone.

YoukaiSlayer posted...
Fortunately and most importantly though, they aren't real, it's just a video game, no one is actually getting hurt.

I mean, sure, but you can't expect me to not feel sorry for it when its limping away and I have to kill it anyway as its fleeing

User Info: YoukaiSlayer

YoukaiSlayer
2 days ago#8
Chris-Hansen posted...
I mean, sure, but you can't expect me to not feel sorry for it when its limping away and I have to kill it anyway as its fleeing
Sure I can. Do you think about the fictional family of all the fictional humans you kill in video games? This is no different.

If it makes you feel better though, all large monsters in the game attack humans on sight and in this one specifically, rampages happen where they all at once attack the village so if you aren't out there thinning the herd then it could very well end up with the town defense overwhelmed and all the people dying.
I'm ninja
(you can't see me)

User Info: mojavehotwax

mojavehotwax
2 days ago#9
Chris-Hansen posted...
I just don't like killing animals that aren't hurting anyone.

you prefer to catch a predator

User Info: Josethemaster

Josethemaster
2 days ago#10
Chris-Hansen posted...
Never said it was. I just don't like killing animals that aren't hurting anyone.

You can always capture them instead. But you cant do that with Elder dragons or Apexs.
  1. Boards
  2. Monster Hunter Rise
  3. So I'm thinking about trying out the series but...
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A