• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Poll of the Day
  3. Geek+: Streaming Nerdy Nostalgia in 480i

User Info: The Wave Master

The Wave Master
3 months ago#31
WhiskeyDisk posted...
It's not the diversity that irks me, it's that it seems like a third of every episode has to grind to a halt to shoehorn it in. Sure there's a villain tearing up the city that we need to stop, but here is 10-15 minutes of mandatory lesbian relationship drama first.

It does that for straight relationships too. After all it is a CW show, and those are some of the tropes, but it rings false just to point out the same sex relationships.

I guess it's like when you buy a new nee car, all of a sudden you begin to notice that other people have the same color and make of car a lot more often. So, if you're looking for same sex relationship drama you're going to find it.

Nevertheless, I recognize the criticism, but it happens in comics too. The relationship drama is peppered before, during, and after the villain attacks.
We are who we choose to be.

User Info: I_Abibde

I_Abibde
3 months ago#32
ParanoidObsessive posted...
The Wave Master posted...
but it's not always about power and money is it?

Yes it is.

This PO post only contains three words.

Account hacked?
-- I Abibde / Samuraiter
Laughing at Game FAQs since 2002.
Zeus posted...
jfc, I underestimated how awful CW's Supergirl is. This clip -- which looked intriguing -- is just painful.

Here's a question I can't answer - is it only the show in its current CW form that is bad, or was it bad from the very beginning even when it was on CBS?

Or to ask the same question a different way, is it the CW itself that made it bad, or it is inherently bad and just happens to be on the CW?

Zeus posted...
I disagree with your disagreement.

I disagree with your disagreement of my disagreement

But if you read what I actually wrote, it's an objectively factual statement, and you're objectively wrong if you disagree with it.

Because I said "at least from my perspective". Because no matter how much you may disagree with my perspective, my perspective really isn't going to change.

Just based solely on games that interest me, or that would ever motivate me to buy a console, the PS3 was just inherently weaker than the 360 was. The 360 may actually have my personal strongest library in the entire history of gaming (and remember, I span 6-out-of-8 generations worth of personal experience).

People who like different genres of gaming than what I like, or who like genres I dislike and dislike genres I like are obviously going to have different opinions, but that doesn't really change my perspective.

And I'm sure there are even people who think the Wii-U had the best showing last gen. Those people are sick and deserve our pity, but they're entitled to their opinions as well. God help them.

Zeus posted...
The LBP hate is real... and annoying.

Ehh, more like the LBP apathy.

I played it, and just playing through it (and through other people's builds) never really interested me all that much (remember, it doesn't help that I dislike platformers in general).

I suppose I would have gotten more into it if I was interested in the nuts and bolts of the mechanics and builds, but for all the time I sink into Minecraft in my OCD, I've never really gotten into doing redstone machines either. It doesn't really scratch the parts of my brain that really fall in love with games.

Zeus posted...
Metalsonic66 posted...
Just watched The Man Who Knew Too Little with absolutely no clue what it was about going into it. And I'm glad I did, because the movie kept me engaged and entertained the whole way through.

Oddly enough, I saw a copy of that movie while stopping at a thrift store this week. Prior to that, I'm not sure I even heard of it.

The real question is, have either of you ever heard of/seen The Man with One Red Shoe?
"Wall of Text'D!" --- oldskoolplayr76
"POwned again." --- blight family
(edited 3 months ago)

User Info: Metalsonic66

Metalsonic66
3 months ago#34
Never heard of it
PSN/Steam ID: Metalsonic_69
Big bombs go kabang.
Metalsonic66 posted...
inFamous 2 alone I would put over most open-world games of the last decade

Nothing about that franchise really stood out for me last gen (and I always wound up confusing it with Prototype in my head).

When I got the PS4 I was actually willing to give it a try (in the same way I dipped into Uncharted and enjoyed it because of the Nathan Drake Collection), since Second Son was on the PS4, but Delsin Rowe just looks and seems like such a cringy unlikeable douche-nozzle I couldn't bring myself to bother (and I've read the plot since, and it doesn't really move me all that much anyway).

I_Abibde posted...
This PO post only contains three words.

Account hacked?

I think my personal record is three characters.

My smart-ass response to people pointing out when my posts were short was usually just to go monosyllabic with a "No."

And I've done posts that were nothing but this before as well: -_-

Metalsonic66
3 months ago#36
Second Son had some neat powers, but the story was definitely less interesting. What got me hooked on that series was how much fun traversal was, and how smooth combat felt with all the different powers available
Big bombs go kabang.
Metalsonic66 posted...
Never heard of it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqbuWpkoth0
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Man_with_One_Red_Shoe

The Wave Master posted...
I don't mind the same sex agenda and liberal slants. Considering that I'm in an interacial marriage in the deep south, my in laws won't talk to me because ue I am black, and some of my closest friends are gay, it never bothers me that the story lines are so diversity.

WhiskeyDisk posted...
It's not the diversity that irks me, it's that it seems like a third of every episode has to grind to a halt to shoehorn it in. Sure there's a villain tearing up the city that we need to stop, but here is 10-15 minutes of mandatory lesbian relationship drama first.

That's sort of my issue with it (and a large part of why I didn't watch Agent Carter). It's less that I have a problem with implications of diversity or the need to have strong female or ethnic protagonists, or even reminders that the past really wasn't a nice place to be for a lot of people who didn't look like me, but when it feels like the show is coming to a hard stop every 10 minutes or so to toss in an awkward hamfisted DO YOU GET IT? BIGOTRY AND PREJUDICE ARE THINGS THAT EXIST!, it starts to get annoying after the dozenth time someone has come out with an eye-rollingly stupid statement or moment solely to make the point they've already repeatedly made.

Yes, I get it, men were really sexist in the 40s, hooray for feminism.

Yes, okay, still get it. Life was totally hard on those 1940s women living in a society that dismissed their accomplishments and demeaned them as second-class citizens. No, this is not a thing I've stopped being aware of at any point, and I ever get the unsubtle barely-subtext you're trying to establish comparing it to how things are now, and how women are still discriminated against. Good job on the social commentary, now can we get back to the comic book action show?

Oh, for God's sake. ALL RIGHT, I GET IT. I'M AN EVIL WHITE MALE. GET THE f*** OVER YOURSELF.

To be fair, context is everything with this. I'm not going to get too over-excited about lesbian relationships if I'm watching The L Word, or if I'm watching War and Remembrance (wait, do you Millennials even know what that is?) I'm not going to complain about how they seem to keep demonizing Nazis and emphasizing the whole anti-semitism thing. But I'm also not going to comic book movies and TV show for cutting social commentary.

It's also the difference why I can enjoy a well-written character like Kamala Khan (an ethnic female whose stories often explore the effect of being a devout Muslim girl in modern America), whereas I can still be annoyed by the majority of Young Avengers characters, who seem to exist solely to scream LOOK HOW PROGRESSIVE WE ARE! DO YOU LOVE US NOW, INTERNET? WHY WON'T YOU BUY OUR COMICS?!

Young Avengers basically just feels like Tumblr f***ed a box of crayons.

Mostly, what it really comes down to is whether or not your social subtext is well-written, and integrated well into a story that is also well-written. Hit those requirements and I rarely care what sort of social message you're selling. Get too stupidly preachy or ham-fisted about it, and I'll be annoyed even if you're preaching something I actually believe in.

Metalsonic66
3 months ago#38
Otm Shank, eh?
Big bombs go kabang.
Metalsonic66 posted...
What got me hooked on that series was how much fun traversal was

As much as people talk up the idea of traversal as a selling point (usually for games like Arkham City), it never really grabbed me all that much. At least not in a major way as a stand-alone positive - I can look back and say I really enjoyed leaping and gliding around the city in Saints Row IV, or that the rail-grinding in Jet Set Radio Future was fun at the time, but if you asked me whether I liked those games I'm not sure how much that would factor into my answer (which would probably be "I absolutely loved Saints Row IV, but for a lot of reasons other than how you move, and I'm kind of meh on Jet Set Radio Future because rail-grinding is about the only thing the game really has". The latter also being a large part of the reason why Sunset Overdrive never even remotely interested me this gen.)

I haven't played Spider-Man on the PS4 yet (though I do own it - it's in my ever-growing pile of games I own but never have the time/desire to play, which I ignore while I go back to spending another 40+ hours in Minecraft), so it's possible that I might love the web-swinging so much that it completely redefines my entire perspective on games and how important traversal can be as a mechanic, but I suspect I'm going to go lukewarm on it very quickly, and it will be up to the overarching narrative, dialogue, and mission structure to either win me over or lose me.

The same kind of holds true for most of the stereotypical "parkour" games for me. The first time I ever played one it was amazing for all of like 15 minutes, and then it mostly just became a ho-hum way to get from Point A to Point B where the game was actually happening.

Metalsonic66
3 months ago#40
Sunset Overdrive was a blast but Spider-Man outdoes it
Big bombs go kabang.
  1. Boards
  2. Poll of the Day
  3. Geek+: Streaming Nerdy Nostalgia in 480i
  • Post New Message