• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Poll of the Day
  3. Geek+: Streaming Nerdy Nostalgia in 480i
Zeus posted...
Also I saw a copy of Neil Gaimon's Neverywhere miniseries the other day, which reminded me that the tv miniseries was a thing. Slightly kicking myself for not just buying it on the spot, although I'm not sure if I'd enjoy it any more than the comic.

If I recall correctly, that started out as the TV show, then was popular enough for Gaiman to expand on it a bit by adapting it as a full novel, then that got re-adapted into the comic.

So if you read the comic and didn't like it, it's possible that it lost something in translation. Then again, if it's more the setting itself or the premise you don't like, that might be something that's going to be consistent regardless.

I can't really give a recommendation, because honestly, I've never been a huge fan of Gaiman, and I've always felt like a lot of his stuff was a bit overrated. But that might just be because I knew too many Mall Goth types who couldn't stop fellating him over Sandman.
"Wall of Text'D!" --- oldskoolplayr76
"POwned again." --- blight family

User Info: WhiskeyDisk

WhiskeyDisk
1 month ago#272
Neverwhere was an interesting premise with a lot of potential, but the execution was not his best work by a long shot. There's at least two major plot holes an astute 8 year old could point out on a first read through that kind of kill it for me as far as the novel goes.

It still has a special place in my collection for me personally because my copy is signed, and his big release signing at the Borders in the WTC was how myself and the 4 people I went with ended up drinking Guinesses with him after the signing while sitting on the giant leather couch in Borders' flagship store in the WTC, neither of which exist now.
The SBA has closed for business, we thank you for your patronage Assassins.
~there's always free cheese in a mousetrap.

User Info: Zeus

Zeus
1 month ago#273
ParanoidObsessive posted...
I've never been a huge fan of Gaiman, and I've always felt like a lot of his stuff was a bit overrated. But that might just be because I knew too many Mall Goth types who couldn't stop fellating him over Sandman.

I have very conflicted feelings regarding Gaiman. On one hand, many of his works are genius. However, other works are merely pretentious... and some things are just outright bad. Sandman is his claim to fame and also one of my biggest points of contention, given the nature of the series.

Then, of course, there's the matter of things like Coraline which I absolutely loved, only to find out that the movie took a few substantial liberties with Gaimon's novel and the biggest changes were clearly for the better. And one of the things I liked most, the artistic style, was -- as I understand it -- entirely the work of Selick and an artist he hired. So the genius that I admired in the work wasn't necessarily the genius of Gaimon. Gaimon had a pretty cool idea (albeit one clearly inspired by other works) and others used that concept to create something incredible.

Speaking of, I think I often miss that kind of element when watching a film or show. I tend to think, "Wow, that's really neat or creative, that seems so beyond anything I might do," while overlooking that many of these things are highly collaborative where, rather than having a singular vision, a group came together to create something cool
(\/)(\/)|-|
There are precious few at ease / With moral ambiguities / So we act as though they don't exist.
The one story of his I really liked was his short story based on Zelazny's Night in the Lonesome October, where he's sort of crossing film noir with Lovecraft with a werewolf main character. But that might just be because I absolutely love A Night in the Lonesome October.

Then again, I've always been a sucker for film noir Lovecraft:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jK3q1fNLeA
Sooo... this is a thing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLMBLuGJTsA
WhiskeyDisk posted...
I've got to be honest. I've...never understood the entire TCG thing. I can deal with luck based factors, I have no issues with dice or gambling. I also have no problem with known boards with known pieces and known rules.

All that being said, TCGs always seemed to me like playing chess, except pulling the pieces out of a bag like Scrabble, but everyone gets to bring their own bag, which itself is a PTW/gacha in building the bag you bring.

Since we were talking about this recently, I figured I should post this now:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBIsZlV1jHk

User Info: Metalsonic66

Metalsonic66
1 month ago#277
I don't know how to feel about a Morbius movie
PSN/Steam ID: Metalsonic_69
Big bombs go kabang.

User Info: I_Abibde

I_Abibde
1 month ago#278
I didn't know how to feel about a Venom movie, but that turned out all right, IMO.
-- I Abibde / Samuraiter
Laughing at Game FAQs since 2002.

User Info: Metalsonic66

Metalsonic66
1 month ago#279
It wasn't bad but it wasn't great either. It was a big misstep to exclude Spider-Man from his origin.

From that perspective, Morbius is a step forward at least
PSN/Steam ID: Metalsonic_69
Big bombs go kabang.

User Info: WhiskeyDisk

WhiskeyDisk
1 month ago#280
If anything, my main concern is that Leto gonna Leto.
The SBA has closed for business, we thank you for your patronage Assassins.
~there's always free cheese in a mousetrap.
  1. Boards
  2. Poll of the Day
  3. Geek+: Streaming Nerdy Nostalgia in 480i
  • Post New Message