• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Poll of the Day
  3. Valley of The Geeks

User Info: Broken_Zeus

Broken_Zeus
4 weeks ago#91
Something started to bug me today (and no, it's not Zang, he's been bugging me for weeks now) and it's a technical question: Could Spider-Man tear somebody's flesh by using only his finger-tips?

There's an anime (Kengan Ashura) where one character has exceptional fingertip strength where he can literally slice apart opponents with his finger-tips (which, among other things, he trained by climbing using his finger-tips, although he had unusual muscle strength there since birth and, perhaps appropriately enough, believed himself to be superhuman). This led me to wonder if Spider-Man could use the adhesive effect in his finger-tips to latch onto an opponent's flesh and tear pieces off.

(I should note that Spider-Man 2099 sometimes used his retractable talons (also used to grip walls) to do that, but those were specifically talons rather than just finger-tips. And, in at least one case, he used those talons to kill an opponent, although iirc it was an accidental reflex in what his opponent wanted to be a death match.)
Gamefaqs cannot handle my #BrokenBrilliance
(edited 4 weeks ago)

User Info: WhiskeyDisk

WhiskeyDisk
4 weeks ago#92
I mean, canonically I'm reasonably sure Spidey could rip a mere human in half if he wanted to. Maybe not an Asgardian or a Weapon#.

But if he were in a pure street fight with say, Matt Murdock or Frank Castle or Clint and wasn't holding back out of morality, I'm not sure how this is even a question. I'm pretty confident that anyone with MeHum physiology would be torn limb from limb by an unrestrained Peter Parker.
The SBA has closed for business, we thank you for your patronage Assassins.
~there's always free cheese in a mousetrap.

Broken_Zeus
4 weeks ago#93
No, I'm talking about a specific kind of damage, not just physical strength. I'm sure he's physically strong enough to do more conventional damage.

WhiskeyDisk
4 weeks ago#94
Broken_Zeus posted...
No, I'm talking about a specific kind of damage, not just physical strength. I'm sure he's physically strong enough to do more conventional damage.

No I get what you mean. Could he literally flay a MeHum with grip strength? I don't think that's really a question given the g forces involved in his web slinging locomotion shenanigans.

I sure as hell wouldn't want a massage from an angry Spidey.

Broken_Zeus
4 weeks ago#95
Come to think of it, I guess the physical strength alone would be enough to rend flesh with just pressure from the fingertips. (Especially considering CT's ape attack some years ago.) The friction/adhesive effect wouldn't even need to come into place.

User Info: The Wave Master

The Wave Master
3 weeks ago#96
I have seen Perer rip off the sides of buildings, plaster, and dry wall with just his finger tips. Therefore, his combined mutated strength with his ability to cling or strip off non human material means logically he could peel flesh from the bone or from an opponent with ease.

However, it is Peter, and he would never do such a thing, which is a shame, because a lot of his enemies would never mess with hin again if he peeled their flesh after a battle or even during a battle.
We are who we choose to be.

WhiskeyDisk
3 weeks ago#97
Sometimes I wonder if a good old sandpaper slap to the face would be more effective than punching...
Entity13 posted...
I can't even do the soundtrack either

It had a soundtrack?

After coming off the FFVI soundtrack that was so great I went out of my way to buy the CD release (in spite of it being entirely MIDI), and the FFVII soundtrack that was much weaker but still had a few memorable tunes (even if I've never loved One Winged Angel as much as most people seem to), the music in FFVIII felt as completely generic as humanly possible, and it's "hit" single (Eyes on Me) was utterly bleh (though part of that might be because it was the capstone theme to an unrealistic and unwanted romance between two mostly unlikable characters, so it had zero positive resonance for me).

To this day, if you asked me to hum a song from FFI, FFIV, FFVI, FFVII, or FFX, I could easily pick at least one or two (and not the intro or fanfare tunes that are basically in every game). But if you held a gun to my head and told me my life depended on it, I couldn't hum one song from FFVIII. I'm not even sure I could identify one if you played it for me and asked what game it was from. There's just nothing memorable or inspiring about any of it.

Broken_Zeus posted...
idk, you'd want them to keep the terrible character designs? >_> I think Rinoa was the only one who had a half-decent look.

I really liked Quistis' design. Rinoa's fine, but mostly because she's kind of generic. Irvine is just a standard cowboy, albeit with s***ty anime touches, and that's a hard look to really screw up. And Squall's wasn't entirely terrible when you consider the standard for FF main characters was essentially turning into "hipster fashion model" - once the franchise decided it was going to be anime-as-f***, we were going to be stuck with designs like that, and it always could have been worse (Tidus comes to mind). Squall's problem isn't what he looks like as much as his whole personality, motivation, attitude, and the entirety of his narrative.

Zell and Selphie are the ones that really sort of look bleh (though Selphie doesn't look bad in her school uniform), but at least part of the issue with Zell is that he's sort of going down the same path Tidus eventually will (and has a terrible personality to boot).

The real problem is, I wouldn't trust them to redesign them well regardless, because they've more or less still got the same over-the-top anime design aesthetic that they had back then, so there's no guarantee a new, "updated" look would be any better than what they looked like then anyway.
"Wall of Text'D!" --- oldskoolplayr76
"POwned again." --- blight family
The Wave Master posted...
Marvel (Disney) and Sony could not come to terms with keeping my boy, Spider-Man in The MCU. Disney wanted a 5%"First dollar Gross" on the next two potential films, and Sony wanted a 50/50 split. Kevin Feige said, "No Way" because they did all the work and should get more, Sony refused to talk to him anymore, and the deal fell apart.

Far From Home made 1.1 Billion dollars, and is Sony's highest grossing film ever. It would make sense for this deal to get done, but money tends to change a lot of things, and blinds most men.

Broken_Zeus posted...
Well, Disney's terms were an insult (and Sony's kinda sounds like extortion). I'm sure they'll either come around or Sony will make more money doing something themselves.

The problem is that Sony (rightfully) has all the bargaining power in that particular scenario. Even if Disney "did all the work" it doesn't matter in the slightest, because without Sony's approval, Disney wouldn't have been able to do ANY work.

Basically, Disney needs Sony to do Spider-Man, but Sony doesn't need Disney.

Granted, Sony may need Disney to do Spider-Man well (at least based on recent evidence), but they did fine with early Raimi, and the foundation has already been established to do the current version of the character perfectly well without Disney. So from their perspective they can walk away from that table without hesitation and still likely make a ton of money off the franchise on their own.

Disney are the ones who basically need to compromise to keep that partnership happening, but they're playing a bit of hardball, which kind of makes the eventual Sony "f*** you" somewhat inevitable.

And considering how s*** Phase 4 is currently looking, Spider-Man might be better off sliced away from the MCU anyway.

Broken_Zeus posted...
God knows we haven't seen Uncle Ben die enough times in the past 20 years...

It'd be interesting if we had a version where it was Aunt May who died and they instead explored how that would impact Peter's life....

http://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/What_If%3F_Vol_1_46
https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/What_If_Aunt_May_Had_Died_Instead_of_Uncle_Ben%3F_Vol_1_1
http://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Peter_Parker_(Earth-6078)

Marvel does that story more often than people realize.

Though personally, if they're going to go full reboot and try to shake things up, I'd almost rather see them go radically different. Let's have the What If? universe where the spider bites Flash, and then Flash becomes a super-villain, and Peter has to invent high-tech armor to fight him (sort of becoming a cross between Tony Stark and Doc Ock in terms of design). Or the Spider-Man Noir universe. Or the Ultimate deal where Peter dies, but it turns out someone cloned him, but the clone is a girl, so you basically get "Jessica Drew" as Spider-Woman, but it's Peter's mind and personality in the girl body.

Not that I think they'd ever do any of that.
Broken_Zeus posted...
Granted, if they did do a reboot, at this point Sony could actually go with Miles Morales which... meh. I know that a Spidey 2099 would never cross that table

To be honest, I don't seem them going full reboot. They're smart enough to want to maintain existing momentum - the only reason they rebooted the Raimi version and the Amazing version was because both of those had hit low points. They're going to want to continue to exploit the current version as long as they can before it bottoms out and they have to reboot again.

Plus, remember, they still want to set up a "Spider-Verse" sort of deal, with Black Cat, Morbius, Sinister Six, Venom, etc. That plan stalled out a bit because Amazing 2 was terrible, but between Far From Home and Into the Spider-Verse doing so well, they're in a perfect position to repivot those plans.

If anything, they'd probably play off the hints of Miles already seeded into the current movies, and have Miles show up and become new Spider-Man after another movie or two with Tom Holland, with at least one movie dedicated entirely to the transition.

Broken_Zeus posted...
This led me to wonder if Spider-Man could use the adhesive effect in his finger-tips to latch onto an opponent's flesh and tear pieces off.

Part of my brain is telling me there was a scene or something somewhere where he used his adhesive fingertips to basically attack to someone's face and kind of pull the skin off, but I might be hallucinating it (if it did happen, it was almost certainly a What If?).

I think he's also done a thing where he kind of palmed a wall and ripped a chunk out of it, but again, I could be imagining it.
  1. Boards
  2. Poll of the Day
  3. Valley of The Geeks
  • Post New Message