• Topic Closed
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Poll of the Day
  3. Valley of The Geeks

User Info: The Wave Master

The Wave Master
1 month ago#341
My favorite part of the Raw/Smackdown Draft is the fake boardroom cut away outrage after every pick between the USA Network executives and the Fox Network Executives.

(You picked Alistar Black over Daniel Bryan. The outrage! Why didn't I think of that? *Paper Toss!*)
We are who we choose to be.

User Info: Revelation34

Revelation34
4 weeks ago#342
I didn't even know wrestling had drafts.
Gamertag: Kegfarms, BF code: 2033480226, Treasure Cruise code 318,374,355, Steam: Kegfarms

User Info: CyborgSage00x0

CyborgSage00x0
4 weeks ago#343
Saw Joker. Definitely feel it's an over-hyped movie. Yeah, Phoenix is fantastic, the cinematography is great, and the sharp jabs the film wants you to feel land their mark mostly. But it's definitely not as deep and powerful as many are claiming, and doesn't really have much to say besides that beaten down people with mental illnesses will eventually snap or kill themselves which, yeah, no duh. Also feels like it diminishes the scheming intellect and raw danger the Joker have. Arthur doesn't feel like the Clown Prince of crime, just a damaged loner with a gun.

Decided to splurge on the board games Instanbul, Arboretum, and Azul, since Amazon had some price slashes on them recently.
PotD's resident Film Expert.

User Info: Aaantlion

Aaantlion
4 weeks ago#344
Revelation34 posted...

The WWE is unique in its size so it has a large enough viable roster to split into brands and, because it has brands, it can play up kayfabe elements like drafts. It's hardly the first time that they've done this.
(\/)(\/)|-|
Scientists are finally waking up to what pyramids have known all along.

User Info: Entity13

Entity13
4 weeks ago#345
So on Tuesday, my folks and I picked up a really nice couch for cheap. Yesterday we acquired a beautiful bed frame in need of a queen-sized box spring and mattress; also some matching drawers are part of the set. These are going into my new apartment.

Next up, I need a new modem, a monitor for my PC (or for hdmi-capable gaming systems), headphones for gaming, a video capture card so I can start streaming, some new pots and pans, and eventually some new bookcases.

I have to budget it all with rent and security deposit, setting up electric and Internet, supplying myself for groceries and keeping the place clean, and eventually paying my folks back for all their help getting me up here. Right, and there's the address change stuff and all that.

Fun, fun.
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb179/EntityXIII/entityfn7.jpg
Aaantlion posted...
Revelation34 posted...

The WWE is unique in its size so it has a large enough viable roster to split into brands and, because it has brands, it can play up kayfabe elements like drafts. It's hardly the first time that they've done this.

More specifically, they started doing it after buying WCW back in 2000, when the influx of new talent gave them enough toys to play with that they could split them across their existing two shows and still run two full cards.

WWE loves the idea of the brand split because it allows them to run two house show circuits instead of one (and thus, in theory, make more money). It also (again, in theory) allows them to build more stars, because you get to put the spotlight on twice as many top guys, as opposed to just having the same top guys main event both weekly shows. Fans generally hate the idea of the brand split, though, because it creates the perception that any show you go to will only have half the wrestlers you actually want to see, and it makes it harder for certain match ups to happen (ie, if one wrestler is on Raw and another wrestler is on SmackDown, you're much less likely to see those two wrestle each other). Also, having two top champions, two mid-card champions, two tag champions, and two women's champions (and now women's tag champions and a 24/7 champion as well) kind of devalues individual titles, because there's so damned many of them.

The current draft/emphasis on the brand split is coming because one of their two shows is still running on USA network (like it always has), while the other has now been bought by Fox and is showing on the main Fox network (which is the most exposure the WWE's had since NBC showed Saturday Night's Main Event - and the current deal is better than that one was, because it's prime-time). So there's more pressure than ever before to limit crossover between shows. And also because USA wants Raw to keep its existing focus on being an "entertainment" type show while Fox wants SmackDown to be more "sports oriented".
"Wall of Text'D!" --- oldskoolplayr76
"POwned again." --- blight family

User Info: Metalsonic66

Metalsonic66
4 weeks ago#347
Life of Brian > Holy Grail
PSN/Steam ID: Metalsonic_69
Big bombs go kabang.

User Info: Zeus

Zeus
4 weeks ago#348
Entity13 posted...
Yesterday we acquired a beautiful bed frame in need of a queen-sized box spring and mattress; also some matching drawers are part of the set.

The frame is generally cheaper than the mattress + box spring combo =p

Entity13 posted...
I have to budget it all with rent and security deposit, setting up electric and Internet, supplying myself for groceries and keeping the place clean, and eventually paying my folks back for all their help getting me up here. Right, and there's the address change stuff and all that.

tbh, you got back on your feet pretty quickly then.

ParanoidObsessive posted...
WWE loves the idea of the brand split because it allows them to run two house show circuits instead of one (and thus, in theory, make more money). It also (again, in theory) allows them to build more stars, because you get to put the spotlight on twice as many top guys, as opposed to just having the same top guys main event both weekly shows. Fans generally hate the idea of the brand split, though, because it creates the perception that any show you go to will only have half the wrestlers you actually want to see, and it makes it harder for certain match ups to happen (ie, if one wrestler is on Raw and another wrestler is on SmackDown, you're much less likely to see those two wrestle each other). Also, having two top champions, two mid-card champions, two tag champions, and two women's champions (and now women's tag champions and a 24/7 champion as well) kind of devalues individual titles, because there's so damned many of them.

Plus with the lack of external competition, they've got to something to hype their product via a rivalry, right? =p

Honestly, my only major issue with the split roster is the titles thing you mentioned. The mid-card titles don't matter, but I like having a definitive heavyweight champ. And the fact that the wrestlers only have inter-brand matches occasionally makes those fights seem more special, like the Champion of Champions match to decide which champ is the realest... which they then s*** on by having Booker win with Kevin Federline's (a minor league only famous for Britney Spears's baby daddy) help.
(\/)(\/)|-|
There are precious few at ease / With moral ambiguities / So we act as though they don't exist.
Metalsonic66 posted...
Life of Brian > Holy Grail

I'd agree with this, but I also think Meaning of Life is the best of the three.

Zeus posted...
Plus with the lack of external competition, they've got to something to hype their product via a rivalry, right? =p

That was the original intention (ie, without WCW, you instead promote inter-brand rivalry between Raw and Smackdown to simulate the same feel of competition and fan investment).

In practice, this has never, ever worked. Partly because the WWE has basically bungled it from jump, but also because fans have never realistically given a s*** about the separate brands, or valued one over the other in a meaningful way (especially since it's mostly the same fans watching both shows anyway).
"Wall of Text'D!" --- oldskoolplayr76
"POwned again." --- blight family

User Info: Metalsonic66

Metalsonic66
4 weeks ago#350
ParanoidObsessive posted...
I'd agree with this, but I also think Meaning of Life is the best of the three.
I read somewhere that many fans put it at a close third, and the other two are more divided in opinions
PSN/Steam ID: Metalsonic_69
Big bombs go kabang.
  1. Boards
  2. Poll of the Day
  3. Valley of The Geeks
  • Topic Closed