• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Poll of the Day
  3. Valley of The Geeks

User Info: Revelation34

Revelation34
3 weeks ago#261
The Wave Master posted...
They are rebooting "Saved by the Bell." With Zach Morris as the governor of California. Zach closes the poor schools.in California, and sends the poor kids to rich ass Bay Side High where hilarity ensues.

Well damn... I have to watch this with copious amounts of alcohol in my system, but I don't drink so now what.

Sounds like a terrible governor.
Gamertag: Kegfarms, BF code: 2033480226, Treasure Cruise code 318,374,355, Steam: Kegfarms

User Info: Korruptor

Korruptor
3 weeks ago#262
the governor that California deserves.

User Info: Aaantlion

Aaantlion
3 weeks ago#263
Tech issues still >_>

ParanoidObsessive posted...
There are a number of scenes where the movie actually tries to adhere to the comic too literally and it messes with the pacing and flow a bit (ie, a case where adaptation has to compromise to the new medium and not just copy everything over verbatim). Ironically, the movie also hurts to some degree because some things happen that lack context because other scenes from the comic were cut for time (which goes back to a case of knowing what to cut and what NOT to cut - which is why you need to understand the material at more than a superficial level). All of that feels like it stems from Snyder only understanding the source on its most superficial level, and picking scenes because they "look cool" and not necessarily based on their importance to the overall story.

Not to sound like a broken record but... examples?

And does the fact that I followed things fine mean I must have read the comic first or the omissions/cut scenes just not as big a deal as people think?

Other than that, the biggest flaw is that, in at least some cases, the acting performances aren't quite what they need to be. Rorschach, Manhattan, and the Comedian are great choices, Nite Owl is serviceable, but Ozymandias tends to play his role a bit too hammy for what he's supposed to be (which kind of makes his turn more obvious in advance), and Silk Spectre... is what it is.

I absolutely loved Ozy's portrayal.

The one HUGE complaint most comic fans have is changing the ending

I also prefer the new ending, between the fact that it doesn't add new elements, Doctor Manhattan was *already* an established threatening entity, and the Ozy's attempts to alienate him also establish a motive for him going over the edge. Plus if he isn't established at the enemy, humanity has less incentive to unite since they'd assume he'd help them regardless.

The one change I kinda remember questioning is the group that's with him during the fake assassination attempt. I recall one version (possibly the film) having critics being killed in the crossfire while the other might have been more people whose deaths didn't benefit him.

It's not a BAD movie. But it's not really a GREAT movie, either. It sort of hovers around above average - though that admittedly probably ranks it higher in comic movie terms, because there've been so many stinkers.

And to be perfectly honest, it's the only comic movie Snyder has been involved with that wasn't painfully bad. Other than 300, of course, but that's helped by the fact that it's almost entirely visual with almost no subtle subtext whatsoever. Again, Zack likes visuals. The thinky stuff, not so much.

I consider it a fantastic film and yes, Zack's visuals (and fight choreography) in Watchmen helped sell me on the film. I'm not so much a fan of 300, given it tends to drag on although it's stunningly beautiful at times.
(\/)(\/)|-|

Korruptor
3 weeks ago#264
Oh ff7 remake will have a classic mode, too bad seven eighths of the game is still missing.

Aaantlion
3 weeks ago#265
I'd easily rank every single one of those way, way, way, way higher than Watchmen. Except maybe IM2.

Hell, I'd also throw Avengers 3 and 4, GotG1 and 2, Cap 2, Ant-Man, 4 out of 7 Spider-Man films, 3 out of 7 X-Men films, and the first Blade into that mix. Maybe Blade 2, if I'm having a really good day and am in JUST the right mood.

About the only thing Watchmen really has going for it is high concept, but it's not even the film's own original concept, and it isn't really done all THAT well. Worse, what was an incredibly influential deconstruction 30 years ago feels a lot less meaningful after a thousand other stories have come along since doing the exact same premise. Which blunts some of its edge (which probably helped contribute to it ultimately bombing at the box office).

Again, it's not a BAD movie. But it's not really a GREAT movie, either. And ultimately, it's mostly just a forgettable movie.

Well, I'm triggered.

Korruptor posted...
You say that, but Burton's first two Batman films turned (the latter two he only produced, but I will say that B&R is fantastic in its own way) out great and, Zack Snyder's *other* work aside, I'd easily put Watchmen over ANYTHING in the MCU.

Burton didn't touch B&R.

First one was decent for the bastard child of TDKR and the Killing Joke, second one was some artsy project that Burton had too much creative control. Heck I don't remember anything from that movie other than Walken being Walken, Pfeiffer giving me a boner, and Devito playing as the Baron Harknoen from Dune.

I thought Burton was still a producer on B&R? Or did they drop him altogether after Forever?

Revelation34 posted...
Aaantlion posted...
Civil War,

That one had practically nothing to do with the comic. They just slapped the name on it to make the comic book fans think they would actually adapt it.

None of the movies tie that much to the comics other than at a surface level. Plus the full story arc would take far too long to tell, involves too many characters (including ones they didn't have rights to), etc.

I_Abibde posted...
Or it might be that I generally do not have good taste. I also thought Superman Returns was great. *shrugs*

It was enjoyable. Man of Steel seemed the better film, but there wasn't as much joy to it.
(\/)(\/)|-|

Aaantlion
3 weeks ago#266
I don't actually know anything about the specific context of the book, but I DO know that there's a kid version of Apocalypse running around that has been generally presented as being a bit more "good", so it might be him instead. If so, he's probably going to call himself Genesis.

Oo

That'd be kinda weird, considering that there already was a Genesis menacing the X-teams. (Also, between Genesis and Exodus, I have to wonder what other Bible books they're going to crib for names. Maybe Proverbs will be next -- a mutant who chants evil sutras!)

But again, that's sort of confusing "good movie" with "so terrible it's fun to make fun of" movie.

Don't even play. This isn't B&R or even Forever (although Jim Carrey captured at least some of Gorshin's manic energy, so I've come to appreciate that movie more over the years)

I REALLY dislike DeVito's performance in Batman Returns

GASP!

I CAN enjoy those performances - in the same way I can enjoy Schwarzenegger as Mr. Freeze - as ridiculously over-the-top weirdos blatantly f***ing around and devouring the scenery like giant hams. But that doesn't make the movie as a whole GOOD - to the contrary, it makes it worse.

Almost any bad movie can be enjoyable if you laugh at it or mock it in an MST3K sort of way, but it's still a bad movie.

B&R was a great throwback to the campier Batman age. The *only* problem with it is when it actually tried to get serious (specifically the Batgirl & Alfred stuff), which really killed the flow.
(\/)(\/)|-|

Aaantlion
3 weeks ago#267
Yeah, but even there, they change them and justify them to some degree. In X1, the X-Men are trying to be more of a covert team, so the black looks more subdued and doesn't draw attention as much. Whereas in First Class, they're wearing tactical suits provided by the government as officially sanctioned operatives, so they're willing to be more visually obvious. But even there, the costumes have been changed from the comics - in the comics they're skin-tight spandex, but in the film they're more like certain types of sporting gear.

Ironically, the best possible scenario might be if they had suits made from the same material as the tactical outfits in First Class, but black like the X1 suits. Which would sort of make them look like Rumlow in Winter Soldier. That would make the most sense from a tactical perspective, and could be more easily passed off as government, military, or SWAT/police officers if they're trying to maintain a bit of subtlety (which you don't get as much from leather gimp suits).

...or they could have done X-Force's black & gray color scheme. It's still dark and subdued enough.

But I've always been a proponent that most comic costumes don't look as good in 3D in a more realistic-style film. Even the MCU feels the need to adapt.

But they've also gradually been toning down or dropping the goofier elements of their changes. And part of it is likely less a matter of "this won't work!" and more a matter of what they think most movie-goers would prefer.
(\/)(\/)|-|

Aaantlion
3 weeks ago#268
At any rate, as the gang knows, I've been cleaning as of late (partly to figure out everything I have, but also because it feels like I'm living in an episode of Hoarders). My most recent discovery is that the beaten-up SNES copy of Primal Rage I ordered a few weeks is wholly superfluous -- I have a completely pristine copy that was in an old nightstand. Thankfully I don't believe I ordered X-Men Mutant Apocalypse, because I discovered a copy of that as well. One of these days I really need to bust out my SNES.

Near to that was my Masterpiece Soundwave, which has sadly fallen from Mint-in-Box to Very Good so I probably won't be reselling that down the road. I had left in package just because I wasn't sure how much I cared about it, but I'll probably display it out of box someday when I find a good place for it. Right now my MP Thundercracker and Skywarp don't have great placements.

Otherwise watched a few more clips from that show that Hugh Laurie and Stephen Fry did together, which as with the previous ones I saw were pretty damn lousy. However, the court room skit was funny. Also found some clips from Yes, Minister, which seems hilarious.
(\/)(\/)|-|
Don't really have time to reply to everything, but:

Aaantlion posted...
...or they could have done X-Force's black & gray color scheme. It's still dark and subdued enough.

Yeah, but if they went that route, they could just as easily go the early X-Factor route and put them all in blue jumpsuits.

Or God help us, the more recent X-Factor costumes:

http://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/marveldatabase/images/5/5c/All-New_X-Factor_Vol_1_1_Larroca_Variant_Textless.jpg
http://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/marveldatabase/images/8/8f/All-New_X-Factor_Vol_1_12_Textless.jpg

The ones you were referring to were just individually modified versions of the original team costume anyway (in the same way that the original New Mutant costumes were just black-and-yellow X-Men uniforms - which have always kind of been my favorite variation).

Ironically, I think the best costumes they could have had for them were just plain-clothes. In a world without costumed heroes, the best possible way to blend in is to just dress normally (the only reason they wear costumes in the comics is because Xavier is deliberately trying to evoke the idea that they are "mutant heroes" in the vein of the Fantastic Four and Avengers). And it makes sense for a group that are just teachers and "normal" people 99% of the time - they're not fighting super-villains every week in the movie universe. Just like Logan spends a lot of time in his jacket and Rogue has her hooded deal that kind of evokes her comic costume and Cyclops is going to be Cyclops no matter what he's wearing as long as he's got the glasses/visor, they can easily fight in normal clothes without needing some kind of tactical uniform.

But if you went that route people would complain because people assume "superhero movie" must equal "costumes".

Aaantlion posted...
But they've also gradually been toning down or dropping the goofier elements of their changes. And part of it is likely less a matter of "this won't work!" and more a matter of what they think most movie-goers would prefer.

Yes, but that's sort of the point - most people prefer a more subdued version of most costumes, because most costumes don't really work on screen the way they do on the page.

That's pretty much the entire point of the scene in Captain America where they show him on-stage in what is the closest version to his comic outfit, to highlight how it sort of looks goofy, before switching him to something more functional but still era-appropriate. Then over various movies we see how they shift the design in an attempt to stay close to the comics while still having something that works on screen (and in the case of the first Avengers movie, to put him in something that evokes his Ultimates version, since that movie was basically a deliberate hybrid of 616 Marvel and Ultimate Marvel - which is sort of true of the MCU as a whole in a lot of ways).

Spider-Man may be the one character who seems to work with the tight spandex regardless - which might be something inherent to that character or costume, or just because we've kind of been desensitized to it over the years via cartoons and general live-action parodies and the like. He's kind of too iconic to look goofy.
"Wall of Text'D!" --- oldskoolplayr76
"POwned again." --- blight family

Korruptor
3 weeks ago#270
I thought Burton was still a producer on B&R? Or did they drop him altogether after Forever?

He went on to work on the canned Superman film.
  1. Boards
  2. Poll of the Day
  3. Valley of The Geeks
  • Post New Message