• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Poll of the Day
  3. Valley of The Geeks

User Info: Broken_Zeus

Broken_Zeus
3 weeks ago#101
ParanoidObsessive posted...
(even if I've never loved One Winged Angel as much as most people seem to),

I didn't realize I liked it until I heard it in KH.

Granted, Sony may need Disney to do Spider-Man well (at least based on recent evidence), but they did fine with early Raimi, and the foundation has already been established to do the current version of the character perfectly well without Disney. So from their perspective they can walk away from that table without hesitation and still likely make a ton of money off the franchise on their own.

They did okay with Amazing at well at first.... but then they cast Jamie Foxx as Electro and for some reason Paul Giamotti was cast as the Rhino (and then barely used). And, of course, it *also* had a downer ending after just coming off a downer ending.

Marvel does that story more often than people realize.

They do a lot of stuff as one-shot comics and usually the handling is lousy. This would be more than a little different.

Plus, remember, they still want to set up a "Spider-Verse" sort of deal, with Black Cat, Morbius, Sinister Six, Venom, etc. That plan stalled out a bit because Amazing 2 was terrible, but between Far From Home and Into the Spider-Verse doing so well, they're in a perfect position to repivot those plans.

But don't they have to abandon what Disney brought to the table? Disney would logically have rights to at least some of it.
Gamefaqs cannot handle my #BrokenBrilliance

User Info: WhiskeyDisk

WhiskeyDisk
3 weeks ago#102
Broken_Zeus posted...
But don't they have to abandon what Disney brought to the table? Disney would logically have rights to at least some of it.

"Why make billions when you can make millions?"

--Sony
The SBA has closed for business, we thank you for your patronage Assassins.
~there's always free cheese in a mousetrap.

User Info: CyborgSage00x0

CyborgSage00x0
3 weeks ago#103
Getting slammed hard on a dumb little Kristen Wiig shoot here, want to actually post some stuff, especially relating to the Disney stuff. But for now: Palpatine officially confirmed...

...But there's almost no way they explain HOW he's still alive that won't be completely awful.

Like, the ONLY way that even begins to make sense is that Palpatine learned to conqueror death via Darth Plague's teachings (we'll ignore how that allowed him to also survive the Death Star blowing up, and how f***ing lame this is and how it totally cheapens the end of RotJ). And even then, they will almost certainly not give proper screen time to explain how and why we even need a reborn Palpatine, how this fits into the established arc of this current trilogy, etc.

Somehow, this trilogy is going to end up worse than the prequels.
PotD's resident Film Expert.

User Info: The Wave Master

The Wave Master
3 weeks ago#104
CyborgSage00x0 posted...
Getting slammed hard on a dumb little Kristen Wiig shoot here, want to actually post some stuff, especially relating to the Disney stuff. But for now: Palpatine officially confirmed...

...But there's almost no way they explain HOW he's still alive that won't be completely awful.

Like, the ONLY way that even begins to make sense is that Palpatine learned to conqueror death via Darth Plague's teachings (we'll ignore how that allowed him to also survive the Death Star blowing up, and how f***ing lame this is and how it totally cheapens the end of RotJ). And even then, they will almost certainly not give proper screen time to explain how and why we even need a reborn Palpatine, how this fits into the established arc of this current trilogy, etc.

Somehow, this trilogy is going to end up worse than the prequels.

Worse than The Prequels... I'm not sure. The first 45 minutes of The Last Jedi were pretty good. After that... let's not talk about that at all. The Force Awakens isn't a bad film at all, not like Attack of the Clones or lots of the Phantom Menace.

I do however agree with you that nothing J.J throws out will make sense when it comes to explaining how The Emperor is back, why it took 30 something years for it to happen, and why? Plus, the tease of a Dark Side Rey is just a tease as I don't think they have the balls to turn her evil and make it stick. Hell, they can't make Palpatine's death permanent.
We are who we choose to be.

User Info: I_Abibde

I_Abibde
3 weeks ago#105
Might be time to pass the torch from the Star Wars movies to all of those new Star Wars TV series on Disney +, perhaps.

I did a very geeky thing today. Had a stack of comic books from when I last had a subscription (... in 2014; this is the fruit of a long period of procrastination), so I took the time to bag and board them to take them out to one of the long boxes in the garage in order to free up a little space elsewhere.

Naturally, it made me reflect a bit. The issues I put up were all from the "Marvel NOW!" runs of Avengers, (not-so-)New Avengers, and Secret Avengers. "Marvel NOW!" was the time when I decided the direction of the comics side of Marvel was no longer for me, which is a shame, since it came after a period (Heroic Age) when I was still pretty excited to see what was coming next. I think, perhaps, when the movies started getting bigger than the source material, that was when I jumped ship.

Doesn't mean I won't go back and reread the oldies, though, even if "oldies" now includes the '00s runs, back when comic books started picking up a new head of steam after the clusterf*** that was the '90s and the comic book crash.
-- I Abibde / Samuraiter
Laughing at Game FAQs since 2002.

The Wave Master
3 weeks ago#106
I have not had a solid comic book subscription in over a decade. Back when I use to work at a Comic store part time, and I hung out with my friends there every Saturday. Back before I was sick and before I was married.

Now I just keep up with comics from reviews on various ious websites and Wikipedia. I just don't have the time and money to spend on comics; when I can just be selective with graphic novels after a run is over, if I'm interested in the book. It just saves time and money which is definitely more precious as I get older.

User Info: Broken_Zeus

Broken_Zeus
3 weeks ago#107
While I usually have mixed feelings when I see some peoples' collections, Funko's fan features consistently manage to depress me:
https://www.funko.com/blog/article/funatic-of-the-week-paul-methric

I'm not sure if it's because I assign less collectible value to Pop!s, the fact that the displays are usually just walls of boxes, or how Funko itself promotes the stuff.

Granted, I keep most of my non-blind-boxed Funko stuff boxed, so that could also be part of it (although, the case of the Savage World stuff, that packaging looks amazing).

WhiskeyDisk posted...
Broken_Zeus posted...

"Why make billions when you can make millions?"

--Sony

Disney's offer wasn't going to be that great for Sony.

CyborgSage00x0 posted...
Getting slammed hard on a dumb little Kristen Wiig shoot here, want to actually post some stuff, especially relating to the Disney stuff. But for now:

Goddamnit, Cyborg, can't you toss a warning before your spoilers? =(

CyborgSage00x0 posted...
...But there's almost no way they explain

Clone.

Or Force Teleport... which probably isn't a thing, so clone.

Granted, the question isn't so much how did this happen within the continuity, but why do they think this is a good idea?

The Wave Master posted...
Worse than The Prequels... I'm not sure. The first 45 minutes of The Last Jedi were pretty good. After that... let's not talk about that at all. The Force Awakens isn't a bad film at all, not like Attack of the Clones or lots of the Phantom Menace.

I consider TFA unilaterally worse than TLJ, except maybe for the existence of Rose who makes me wish they had just put Jar-Jar in that role. Granted, the fact that TFA was so bad it made me wish I was watching the Phantom Menace instead may have lowered my expectations to the point that TLJ seemed half-decent (and by half-decent, I mean the half not featuring Finn & Rose's pointless sidequest where the *only* payoff was ruining the Rebellion's escape attempt)

I_Abibde posted...
Might be time to pass the torch from the Star Wars movies to all of those new Star Wars TV series on Disney +, perhaps.

tbh, the concept flat-out works better as a tv show than a film series.

The Wave Master posted...
I have not had a solid comic book subscription in over a decade. Back when I use to work at a Comic store part time, and I hung out with my friends there every Saturday. Back before I was sick and before I was married.

At the risk of one-upping you, I've never had a comic book subscription. I always bought individual issues (often on clearance) and TPBs. The subs never really seemed like a good value.

Granted, now we have things like Marvel Unlimited so, hypothetically, at some point when I have far more time than I know what to do with, I could just binge one of those comic services (assuming that they have a backlog of older runs and it's not just the complete garbage they've put out in recent years)
Gamefaqs cannot handle my #BrokenBrilliance

User Info: Revelation34

Revelation34
3 weeks ago#108
Broken_Zeus posted...
While I usually have mixed feelings when I see some peoples' collections, Funko's fan features consistently manage to depress me:
https://www.funko.com/blog/article/funatic-of-the-week-paul-methric

I'm not sure if it's because I assign less collectible value to Pop!s, the fact that the displays are usually just walls of boxes, or how Funko itself promotes the stuff.

Granted, I keep most of my non-blind-boxed Funko stuff boxed, so that could also be part of it (although, the case of the Savage World stuff, that packaging looks amazing).

I only have one because I was given it as a joke birthday present. There's a few I would want but I definitely would never buy ones I have no interest in just to collect them.
Gamertag: Kegfarms, BF code: 2033480226, Treasure Cruise code 318,374,355, Steam: Kegfarms

The Wave Master
3 weeks ago#109
I'm just going to leave this here.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3n1T3HxHd7Yl

User Info: Korruptor

Korruptor
3 weeks ago#110
Don't give a **** about it at this point, but it would be interesting to see if Rey was some sleeper Palpatine clone that becomes aware, Kylo goes good and kills him err... her... err... whatever.
(edited 3 weeks ago)
  1. Boards
  2. Poll of the Day
  3. Valley of The Geeks
  • Post New Message