You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Poll of the Day
  3. ITT: Unpopular opinions

User Info: Noop_Noop

Noop_Noop
4 weeks ago#71
MICHALECOLE posted...
Noop_Noop posted...
We should make a clear distinction between citizen and civilian.

4 years of public service should be a requirement for citizenship. Otherwise you don't vote and you don't run for office.

Do you pay taxes?

Are you asking if I personally pay taxes? Of course.

Are you asking if a civilian should need to pay taxes? Again, of course.
I am your shepherd cloaked in obscenity. Heed these sickening words: I worship only what you bleed.

User Info: Decoy77

Decoy77
4 weeks ago#72
PS has no good console exclusives.
5-27-15 The day Gfaqs died
i7 4770k | ASUS Maximus VII Hero | EVGA GTX 1070 8GB | 16GB RAM | ADATA SP600 256GB | 3TB HD | Asus 23.6'' @ 1920 x 1080, Win10 x64

User Info: WastelandCowboy

WastelandCowboy
4 weeks ago#73
Valiant_Kaiser posted...
Firewerx posted...
Valiant_Kaiser posted...
There are way too many bald guys with beards now.

I think there are just way too many beards. It's like living in the 1870s.

Yeah. It's really out of control. The Amish have never been so fashionable.

I’m bald and have a beard. I started losing my hair so I cut the middleman and started shaving my head.

Noop_Noop posted...
WastelandCowboy posted...
Noop_Noop posted...

4 years of public service should be a requirement for citizenship. Otherwise you don't vote and you don't run for office.

What would qualify as “public service”?

Its a pretty wide range, but ill name a few

Military
Police
Fire
Judiciary (clerical work etc.)
Public education
Sanitation

So what if you’re mentally, physically, or emotionally disabled and cannot serve one of these positions? You’re just branded as a non citizen and can’t vote, despite it being within your legal rights as a citizen of your country?
(edited 4 weeks ago)
(message deleted)
(message deleted)

User Info: Firewerx

Firewerx
4 weeks ago#76
Valiant_Kaiser posted...
Firewerx posted...
Valiant_Kaiser posted...

I’m bald and have a beard. I started losing my hair so I cut the middleman and started shaving my head.

I've been scraping the blade of a Gillette across my head stubble for years, but I found that when I grew a beard it looked like I'd put my head on upside down.
textual predator

User Info: adjl

adjl
4 weeks ago#77
Noop_Noop posted...

An interesting idea, but I don't think it's altogether practical. For one thing, public service jobs are already pretty bloated with a bunch of unnecessary bureaucracy, and that would only get worse if enough jobs had to be added for everyone to be able to spend four years in one (and if said jobs weren't added, then you've got the government picking who's allowed to vote, at which point you should abandon all pretense of democracy altogether). For another, you're talking about making people delay their actual educations and careers by four years if they want to vote, which would inevitably result in fewer, less-qualified professionals, as well as a voting base that's less educated overall, even if they have more experience in public service matters. Neither are a good thing.
This is my signature. It exists to keep people from skipping the last line of my posts.

Noop_Noop
4 weeks ago#78
Valiant_Kaiser posted...
Firewerx posted...
Valiant_Kaiser posted...

Noop_Noop posted...
Noop_Noop posted...

Military
Police
Fire
Public education
Sanitation

So what if you’re mentally, physically, or emotionally disabled and cannot serve one of these positions? You’re just branded as a non citizen and can’t vote, despite it being within your legal rights as a citizen of your country?

Like I said, its a wide blanket, and I named a few.

There is no physical disability short of death that would limit you from EVERY public service job available.

There are very few mental disabilities that would do the same unless you're vegetative and yeah, vegetative people probably shouldn't vote.

And you're branded as a civilian, which means you're welcome to dwell here and take advantage of what the country has to offer. But, since you didn't spend time busting your ass in menial employment in service to the state, proving your dedication to it, you don't get to have a voice in it. Instead, youve proven your dedication is to yourself, which is fine, but removes your ability to make choices for the rest of us.
I am your shepherd cloaked in obscenity. Heed these sickening words: I worship only what you bleed.
(edited 4 weeks ago)

User Info: MICHALECOLE

MICHALECOLE
4 weeks ago#79
Noop_Noop posted...
Noop_Noop posted...

Military
Police
Fire
Public education
Sanitation

So you want immigrants to come in and have to work government jobs for four years, without be able to vote, but still pay taxes, even though you have a huge amount of people claiming they are stealing jobs already?

🤔

Noop_Noop
4 weeks ago#80
MICHALECOLE posted...
Noop_Noop posted...
Noop_Noop posted...

Military
Police
Fire
Public education
Sanitation

So you want immigrants to come in and have to work government jobs for four years, without be able to vote, but still pay taxes, even though you have a huge amount of people claiming they are stealing jobs already?

🤔

Uh, what? Who mentioned immigrants? I'm saying I want this rule for everybody, including the native born population.

You're not paying taxes so you can vote. Youre paying them to use and maintain public services. Don't Like it? Take a f***ing public service job or gtfo. Prove to us that you have the nations interest at heart and I'm happy for you to have a say in it.
  1. Boards
  2. Poll of the Day
  3. ITT: Unpopular opinions