You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Poll of the Day
  3. PotD's very own hardcore punk topic.

User Info: kind9

kind9
3 weeks ago#11
I gravitate more towards crust punk and metalcore/metallic hardcore. Never been a big punk guy, but add some elements of metal and it's some of my favorite music. Dystopia and Coalesce are probably my two favorite crust punk and metalcore(respectively) bands. Coalesce basically pioneered mathcore.

I'm embarrassed to say I haven't listened to much of what was listed in the OP. I listened to a bit yesterday and I'll check out some more today.
http://i.imgur.com/NkZUeFd.gif
(edited 3 weeks ago)

User Info: argonautweakend

argonautweakend
3 weeks ago#12
kind9 posted...
basically pioneered mathcore.

sold

argonautweakend
3 weeks ago#13
But yeah im kinda the reverse. I never got into too much metal, but when I do its generally thrash since thats like heavier punk anyways.

If you plan on listening to the stuff I listed above you can do any order but if you plan on listening to Zen Arcade by Husker Du, do it last, as its not a traditional punk album in a sense. its 23 tracks, nearly 80 minutes of music, but enough hardcore to form its own album is on the record, so it counts, even if it has elements of psychedelic, jazz, acoustic, piano, etc on it. Also a heavy, heavy influence into bands like Nirvana and grunge in general as well.

If theres some killer thrash albums or anything like it youd like to rec please do.

argonautweakend
3 weeks ago#14
bump

anybody who has albums they want to rec, please do so. I might eventually take a listen.

I did get some Coalesce, gonna check them out later. a term like mathcore intrigues me, even though I already know what that means.

argonautweakend
3 weeks ago#15
Bowdler posted...
GG Allin was a kook.

I don't like him. I've heard some of his music, but not much, but his entire life just seems s***ty and stupid.

Its one thing to be wacky and crazy and have a weird show, its like another thing to get super f***ed up and throw poop at people and look like an embarrassing moron. So, like the old punk adage of "life fast, die young" never struck a chord with me. I don't like normal, boring people. but at the same time i dont like the other extreme. people wallowing in their own filth, like a GG allin.

I view it kinda like bands and musicians who can't play their instruments well. In some cases it can work, like the band Cap'n Jazz, which featured a bunch of teenagers who all went on to do bigger things musicially. But that band had a certain charm to it and it worked. Show somebody who is a fan of the song Take on Me the Cap'n Jazz version for a bit of a refreshing and unusual musical take on a popular song. In general, however, if you can't play your instruments well, it isn't a good sign and something i wouldnt advertise. certainly not what i'd want to be known for.

edit: I am not trying to imply all musicians need to have the technical complexity as the dudes from Converge. But you still need to know how to play your instruments to a decent degree. which most recorded artists do.
(edited 3 weeks ago)

argonautweakend
3 weeks ago#16
This band coalesce has raised an interesting question I ask myself.

So, i've been listening to punk for so long yet rarely ventured into metal outside of a few bands.

Ive stumbled across some metal before, but never got super into it.

Coalesce is a very interesting band, at least based off of the album "0:12 seconds" It isn't totally metal if you ask me, but its close yet distinctly different, though it is noted there are hundreds of metal subgenres just like punk.

It makes me question why I never got in to metal much before, outside of a handful of bands. Like I treat it like okay a couple albums and songs i like but I know there's more.

So lets see. find me a genre, folks. I like hardcore punk. as mentioned the bands bad brains, minor threat, bad religion(early, for this purpose though i like most of their stuff old and new). I like technical complexity. It doesnt have to be, but at the same time I like it and I know metal offers it, so yeah. I like instrumentals.

What do we do? Give me some metal albums and i may or may not listen to them at some point.

This could be a real education right here folks. metal U

still tha hardcore topic but we can do whatever here at the same time.

User Info: Grindcorp9000

Grindcorp9000
3 weeks ago#17
D.O.A

D.R.I

Dead Kennedys

Nausea
Hey

User Info: DevilSummoner1

DevilSummoner1
3 weeks ago#18

https://youtu.be/anqinmG2zu0
featuring dante from the devil may cry series

User Info: kind9

kind9
3 weeks ago#19
argonautweakend posted...
This band coalesce has raised an interesting question I ask myself.

So, i've been listening to punk for so long yet rarely ventured into metal outside of a few bands.

Ive stumbled across some metal before, but never got super into it.

Coalesce is a very interesting band, at least based off of the album "0:12 seconds" It isn't totally metal if you ask me, but its close yet distinctly different, though it is noted there are hundreds of metal subgenres just like punk.

It makes me question why I never got in to metal much before, outside of a handful of bands. Like I treat it like okay a couple albums and songs i like but I know there's more.

So lets see. find me a genre, folks. I like hardcore punk. as mentioned the bands bad brains, minor threat, bad religion(early, for this purpose though i like most of their stuff old and new). I like technical complexity. It doesnt have to be, but at the same time I like it and I know metal offers it, so yeah. I like instrumentals.

What do we do? Give me some metal albums and i may or may not listen to them at some point.

This could be a real education right here folks. metal U

still tha hardcore topic but we can do whatever here at the same time.

Do you have any issues with more "extreme" vocal styles? I've always assumed that was the main turn off for most people when it come to hardcore-influenced metal. Another one of my favorites is Catharsis who are labeled with a lot of genres including anarcho-punk, brutal hardcore, blackened hardcore, and crust. They have some awesome lyrics but good luck understanding the guy. Maybe you're already aware of them. Their whole discography is great, but here's an example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUi7_cf9HL0
http://i.imgur.com/NkZUeFd.gif
(edited 3 weeks ago)

User Info: Renraku_San

Renraku_San
3 weeks ago#20
Sick of it All
I worship Jesus Christ and am 100% proud to be Christian!
I read the Bible every day, you should too!
  1. Boards
  2. Poll of the Day
  3. PotD's very own hardcore punk topic.