You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Poll of the Day
  3. Anime, Manga, VN, JRPG, Related Things Discussion Topic LXXXVI

User Info: YoukaiSlayer

YoukaiSlayer
1 month ago#11
AllstarSniper32 posted...
If it's about characters going to another world how do One Piece and Pokemon count?

I was just talking about adventure anime there. They definitely do not count.
I'm ninja
(you can't see me)

User Info: keyblader1985

keyblader1985
1 month ago#12
I kind of want to update my MAL and do other things on the site, but the combination of ridiculous password requirements + not keeping me logged in is killing me. I always forget my password, change it, and forget it again.
Official King of PotD
You only need one T-Rex to make the point, though. ~ Samus Sedai

User Info: dioxxys

dioxxys
1 month ago#13
Yeah to be honest I havent updated my MAL in a long time

dioxxys
1 month ago#14
Overlord S3 Spoilers

YoukaiSlayer posted...
I feel like overlord took too long for the main character to go evil.

I think it was necessary for this devolpment as it gives the impression of him slowly loosing his humanity. Also when you finally reach that point, you are like "holy f*** he's the bad guy". Another theory is that He lost all humanity from the begining and that if you look at all of his actions everything was meant to benefit or further his goal of conquering the world.

User Info: dragon504

dragon504
1 month ago#15
Been playing Monster Hunter World. Doing better on this than I did on Tri. Don't like the latest area I've found. Played using a great sword for a while, and though it can land some heavy shots, it's so damn slow. Switched to what I remember using in Tri, the hammer, and it's working out much better. Love thunking monsters in the face with a charge attack. Doesn't do nearly as much damage as the sword could do, but I'm more mobile and doing a lot better.
http://myanimelist.net/profile/dragon504
http://followmy.tv/u/dragon504/time_wasted

User Info: Zeus

Zeus
1 month ago#16
YoukaiSlayer posted...
It really exploded since SAO came out. Before that it was frequently shoujo like escaflowne or twelve kingdoms for whatever reason. Now it's in it's modern JRPG style fantasy world for the most part.

Considering that SAO followed the likes of .hack and countless other popular properties, I find that claim silly.
(\/)(\/)|-|
There are precious few at ease / With moral ambiguities / So we act as though they don't exist.

User Info: YoukaiSlayer

YoukaiSlayer
1 month ago#17
Zeus posted...

Considering that SAO followed the likes of .hack and countless other popular properties, I find that claim silly.

What countless others? .hack//sign was awesome, but it was far from popular and focused a lot more on the interpersonal relationships and actions of players in an MMO whereas SAO was escapist fantasy. /hack//sign is what MMOs are actually like and SAO is what people wish they were like.

Also .hack//sign's main character was a girl, despite the in game character being a boy.

As for other pre SAO isekai you have stuff like 12 kingdoms (shoujo), escaflowne (shoujo), Fushigi Yuugi (shoujo), Magic Knight Rayearth (shoujo), Kyou kara Maou! (shoujo), Harukanaru Toki no Naka de: Hachiyou Shou (shoujo), inuyasha is a bit of mix but it's a girl being transported to a fantasy world. Hell even wizard of oz and alice in wonderland feature female protagonists transported to a fantasy world.

Now, I said frequently shoujo, we still had stuff like zero no tsukaima, it just wasn't all that common. Isekai clearly started booming with SAO and we got SOOOO many jrpg fantasy world isekai since then.
I'm ninja
(you can't see me)
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: I_Abibde

I_Abibde
1 month ago#18
Like it or not, though, the genre is here to stay ... to the point that it has already been popping up in e-book format (as 'LitRPG' or 'gamelit') on Amazon for years. If it's popular enough to consistently make money in English, then it's not going anywhere. I mean, hey, sci-fi / fantasy trash harem anime are still happening, and it's been a quarter century since the original Tenchi Muyo.

The only annoyance for me is that it's SAO that started the current isekai boom, and there are many better anime in the genre than that one.
-- I Abibde / Samuraiter
Laughing at Game FAQs since 2002.

dioxxys
1 month ago#19
Yeah SAO is definitely responsible for the explosion of isekai we've had in the years following the first SAO.

Same goes with fortnite, we will see battle royale's for years to come.

Too bad we can't have explosive popularity with the collectathon 3D platformer genre. I'd love to get me some more titles like banjo kazooie, Mario 64 Pat in time and ukulele.
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: dragon504

dragon504
1 month ago#20
dioxxys posted...
Yeah SAO is definitely responsible for the explosion of isekai we've had in the years following the first SAO.

Same goes with fortnite, we will see battle royale's for years to come.

Too bad we can't have explosive popularity with the collectathon 3D platformer genre. I'd love to get me some more titles like banjo kazooie, Mario 64 Pat in time and ukulele.

I'd credit PUBG with causing the br boom. Also, I don't really consider SAO and settings like it to be strictly isekai. More of a sub genre and very closely related, but not exactly the same.
http://myanimelist.net/profile/dragon504
http://followmy.tv/u/dragon504/time_wasted
  1. Boards
  2. Poll of the Day
  3. Anime, Manga, VN, JRPG, Related Things Discussion Topic LXXXVI