You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Poll of the Day
  3. PotdMon: Nerd/Geek

User Info: Entity13

Entity13
3 months ago#41
WhiskeyDisk posted...
If any company but Google were behind the Stadia I'd expect it to go the way of the Ouya but I think the criticisms levied so far are also completely valid. So much of this country is still looking at coax or even copper for the last mile so this might be a case of Google's bubble biting it in the ass. Whatever happened to Google Glass?

It's so far been deemed too imperfect and not worthy of general release release, and is still being tested in what is now a second iteration. So I guess they scratched the first one.
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb179/EntityXIII/entityfn7.jpg

User Info: The Wave Master

The Wave Master
3 months ago#42
I believe most of us hate our existing ISP's.

If Google wanted to make more profit they would bring Google fiber to smaller cities and more rural communities. Then Stadia could really flourish because of the synergy with the two products.
We are who we choose to be.
(message deleted)

Entity13
3 months ago#44
The Wave Master posted...

If Google wanted to make more profit they would bring Google fiber to smaller cities and more rural communities. Then Stadia could really flourish because of the synergy with the two products.

The problem isn't so much what Google wants to do but what they can negotiate in various areas. Spectrum and Comcast are blocking most areas still, holding people hostage with their own "deals."

User Info: WastelandCowboy

WastelandCowboy
3 months ago#45
Entity13 posted...
The Wave Master posted...

The problem isn't so much what Google wants to do but what they can negotiate in various areas. Spectrum and Comcast are blocking most areas still, holding people hostage with their own "deals."

Same with ATT. And if you don’t like it you “hate capitalism” or whatever bulls*** their supporters/stockholders/legislators spew.

User Info: WhiskeyDisk

WhiskeyDisk
3 months ago#46
Just finished "What the hell did I just read", the third book of Davin Wong's John and Dave trilogy and the title...is a pretty accurate synopsis of the book in a nutshell. I loved it. By far the best of all 4 of his books. It's absurd, and I love it. I put the series on par with the Illuminatus! Trilogy by Robert Shea and Robert Anton Wilson, and I don't say that lightly. It's one hell of a trip. Ignore the John Dies at the End movie, read the books, you'll not be let down if weird is your thing.

Guess it's time to buckle down and get through the Odd Thomas series now...
The SBA has closed for business, we thank you for your patronage Assassins.
~there's always free cheese in a mousetrap.

Entity13
3 months ago#47
So the FFXIV Fanfest in Tokyo kicked off with a stage event to talk about the coming expansion. Some things to note:

- Dancer was indeed confirmed as a job for the game, with chakrams (and similar throwing weapons) as their weapon of choice. Fine, but then DNC will be a supportive ranged DPS instead of a healer, like hope predicted and wanted. The healers in the community are displeased. We are getting a new tank in the form of Gunbreaker (gunblades, lots of loathing from me).
- As (all female) Vierra were revealed as a playable race in the past, we're not getting a male Vierra. Instead FFXIV is getting an all-male lion race called the Hrothgar in the Prime (seventh) world, and Ronso in the First world. The RPers are mining away at their own salt.
- My prediction was correct that the main story will have us hoping to other dimensions. In-lore, there are thirteen worlds; seventh being Prime where the game's events have happened more the most part, the Void (thirteenth) where the Light is nowhere to be found and the Voidspawn dwell (we visited the World of Darkness in a 24man raid four years ago), and the First is a world being consumed by the Light. In the upcoming expansion we'll be heading to First to help restore the balance there... when we're allegedly going to also be finishing off the Garland Empire in Prime. This is also in line with the coming feature to visit other worlds on the same data center, so I imagine a tie-in between feature and lore, and have thought as much since the new system was announced months ago.
- The races in Prime have alternate names in First. The ever-annoying Lalafells of the main game are the Dwarves of First, they all wear beard-like neckerchiefs, and they have a village wear the only way you can get inside as a player is if you're a Lalafell. Cue the producer's sales pitch for Fantasias (body change potions), and me saying I might sooner step on said houses or set them on fire.
- The cat folk in First are rich and fat, and squandering their livelihoods in the face of the end of the world. I play a cat girl from Prime, and wouldn't doubt if I was both richer than them and way more active. <_<;
- The SE CEO and FF Brand Manager both came on stage, and my goodness the brand manager talks loud and is full of energy, unlike the majority of the series.
- Nomura, yes THAT Nomura, will be in charge of Eden, the 8-man raid series this expansion. So it looks like he's working on that instead of focusing on the ill-fated FFVII Remake. (For those who don't know, Yoko Taro will be doing the 24-man raid trilogy, but this was announced in a prior fanfest)
- "We have so much more we want to cover, but we're out of time on the keynotes." Yea... The keynote stage event started 15 minutes late, and was scheduled for an hour and a half.
(edited 3 months ago)

User Info: Zeus

Zeus
3 months ago#48
Coulda sworn I posted it recently, but finally did the Goron bulls*** in BotW. Apparently if you just buy a fireproof potion, the whole Fireproof Lizard roundup thing is a lot easier because you can just go to that Southern Mine (assuming you know to find it -- a lot of the things in the game really make you think you need an item, etc, to proceed, but you actually don't. It's kinda annoying... by which I mean really annoying).

I also had the bad fortune of first encountering the NPC that gives that quest *outside* the mine -- iirc he was on that path when you first go into the canyon or whatever -- so I both thought you were supposed to collect the lizards earlier on and regroup with him in that same vicinity but nope, really gotta go to the mine. Not sure if it was a glitch or what.

The other Goron stuff was pretty straightforward. The quest/miniquest to gain access to the divine beast was completely without issue (unlike some of the *other* miniquests) and then the divine beast itself was relatively simple to figure out compared to the other three. The *only* thing that threw me for a little bit was having to light that torch at the top to release the ball. Granted, Fireblight Ganon -- who was absurdly easy for the most part -- took a while to figure out one of his gimmicks where I tried using other things before realizing I was meant to deflect that fireball with my shield -- among other things I tried was reflecting with my sword, which was how it *used* to be done in other games
(\/)(\/)|-|
There are precious few at ease / With moral ambiguities / So we act as though they don't exist.

User Info: I_Abibde

I_Abibde
3 months ago#49
I'm having fun designing a batch of Undead to challenge my problem D&D player. You can't beat me by memorizing the Monster Manual, dude.

Entity13 posted...
Nomura, yes THAT Nomura, will be in charge of Eden, the 8-man raid series this expansion.

*watches the raid series get delayed to 2024*
-- I Abibde / Samuraiter
Laughing at Game FAQs since 2002.

User Info: WhiskeyDisk

WhiskeyDisk
3 months ago#50
I'm about a third of the way into Odd Thomas, and I can't stress enough how much Koontz's writing style irritates the hell out of me. I've committed to the series and all, but JFC I don't need to know what every person in a hundred yard radius is wearing and what they smelled like. I don't need a breakdown of every plant and insect in the environment.

I get that he likes establishing a scene. Every scene. Like it's a script treatment for a photoshoot. But I wish the man would actually get around to telling the f***ing story.

I'm half tempted to go back after I've finished the first book and red pen the entire thing for s***s and giggles to distill it down to the narrative story-wise and see how short I can make the novel without his penchant for chewing every scene for everything it's worth.

To put it in video game terms if you've never read Koontz, imagine the first DMC game, and make every single fight an 8 to 20 stage QuickTime event. That's what reading this book is like. On some level I can appreciate his attention to detail, but I wish he'd tell the story instead of describing every minute detail of it in grueling detail.

He would have been an amazing biography writer, but applying the same style to a work of fiction is obnoxious on many levels. I mean I get it, but I'd rather advance the plot than thread count the garments of every guest at a dinner party.

That being said, he certainly has a cadence I can't compare to any other author even if his technique invokes Dickens, but Dickens had the excuse of being paid by the word, Koontz doesn't really have that same excuse.

Koontz would tell a great story, but he can't seem to stop himself from describing the story instead.
The SBA has closed for business, we thank you for your patronage Assassins.
~there's always free cheese in a mousetrap.
  1. Boards
  2. Poll of the Day
  3. PotdMon: Nerd/Geek