You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Poll of the Day
  3. PotdMon: Nerd/Geek

User Info: Broken_Zeus

Broken_Zeus
3 weeks ago#351
Huh. Just learned that Rockstar Spud has apparently been with the WWE for a while now. I've got to say, the WWE is getting pretty damn close to making me want to watch again.

Also finally watched Goblin Slayer, which is probably one of my favorite fantasy anime now. It also reminds me I need to finish watching Lodoss War, which I started like 15 years ago. Speaking of, I know that animation is so much bigger in Japan than the US, but it's weird that Japan has so many Western/European-style fantasy series while the US has... well, I can't even think of a single example. (Granted, I'm sure part of it is the difference in demographics between the nations, as well as the fact that anime versions exist helps to cover an otherwise unmet demand here.)

I_Abibde posted...
Zeus posted...
Kek kek kek kek. What kind of job are they doing?

Except for my wife, all of us work at the same pizzeria. Kinda like the party in Critical Failures, but not as destructive to their surroundings (and each other).

Kind of a neat concept and I imagine it has certain conveniences.... well, other than scheduling issues since I'd guess you can't all get the same time off to play.
Gamefaqs cannot handle my #BrokenBrilliance
(edited 3 weeks ago)

User Info: WhiskeyDisk

WhiskeyDisk
3 weeks ago#352
Any geeks been to NYC? Have you ever crossed Central Park West? Was it difficult? Especially at night?

It takes the X-Men nearly 20 minutes in Dark Phoenix.

This is really all that anyone ever needs to know about this film. The X-Men and...other mutants take 20 minutes to complete a task that millions of mehums pull off yearly without difficulty.
The SBA has closed for business, we thank you for your patronage Assassins.
~there's always free cheese in a mousetrap.
Broken_Zeus posted...
Huh. Just learned that Rockstar Spud has apparently been with the WWE for a while now. I've got to say, the WWE is getting pretty damn close to making me want to watch again.

He's "Drake Maverick". And you're not really missing anything, as they basically hired him to not wrestle.

He's been the General Manager of 205 Live (the cruiserweight show you can only see on the WWE network that literally no one watches), which basically means they use him to facilitate other people having matches by having him stand backstage and tell other people to have matches. Though he does tend to wear snazzy jackets.

In his very sporadic appearances on the main shows he was originally just the manager of the Authors of Pain (a tag team they brought up from NXT and utterly failed to push in any meaningful way until one of them got injured and they just disappeared pretty much forever), and the highlight of that particular run was that he pissed himself once because Big Show frightened him (and I mean literally pissed in the sense that they showed a wet stain slowly form on his pants via a squirt bottle hidden in his pocket he clearly squeezed at the appropriate time). Oh, and he also urinated on Bobby Roode's robe once, because the WWE is a sick animal no one has the courage to put down.

Drake's been slightly more interesting in the very recent past, as he's mostly been sparring with R-Truth (K-Kwik/Ron Killings) over the 24/7 rule, and by "sparring", I mean showing up in videos they're mostly just making themselves which are like 99% shenanigans and 1% people getting pinned, but no actual wrestling.

Oh, and they turned his real world real wedding into a sketch involving it last week:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQ6jsdrAZWA

WhiskeyDisk posted...
Any geeks been to NYC? Have you ever crossed Central Park West? Was it difficult? Especially at night?

This is really all that anyone ever needs to know about this film. The X-Men and...other mutants take 20 minutes to complete a task that millions of mehums pull off yearly without difficulty.

To be fair, it IS as much as half a mile wide. Now granted, I used to be able to jog that distance in about 4 minutes without breaking a sweat (and in about 2 1/2 minutes or so when I actually ran the 800m), but I also possess the super-power of not being in a poorly written film.

"Wall of Text'D!" --- oldskoolplayr76
"POwned again." --- blight family

User Info: WhiskeyDisk

WhiskeyDisk
3 weeks ago#354
ParanoidObsessive posted...
Broken_Zeus posted...

He's "Drake Maverick". And you're not really missing anything, as they basically hired him to not wrestle.

He's been the General Manager of 205 Live (the cruiserweight show you can only see on the WWE network that literally no one watches), which basically means they use him to facilitate other people having matches by having him stand backstage and tell other people to have matches. Though he does tend to wear snazzy jackets.

In his very sporadic appearances on the main shows he was originally just the manager of the Authors of Pain (a tag team they brought up from NXT and utterly failed to push in any meaningful way until one of them got injured and they just disappeared pretty much forever), and the highlight of that particular run was that he pissed himself once because Big Show frightened him (and I mean literally pissed in the sense that they showed a wet stain slowly form on his pants via a squirt bottle hidden in his pocket he clearly squeezed at the appropriate time). Oh, and he also urinated on Bobby Roode's robe once, because the WWE is a sick animal no one has the courage to put down.

Drake's been slightly more interesting in the very recent past, as he's mostly been sparring with R-Truth (K-Kwik/Ron Killings) over the 24/7 rule, and by "sparring", I mean showing up in videos they're mostly just making themselves which are like 99% shenanigans and 1% people getting pinned, but no actual wrestling.

Oh, and they turned his real world real wedding into a sketch involving it last week:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQ6jsdrAZWA

WhiskeyDisk posted...

To be fair, it IS as much as half a mile wide. Now granted, I used to be able to jog that distance in about 4 minutes without breaking a sweat (and in about 2 1/2 minutes or so when I actually ran the 800m), but I also possess the super-power of not being in a poorly written film.

I'm talking about the three lane street itself. The X-Men have difficulty crossing a three lane street at night and that sequence amounts to 1/6 of the film's runtime, and about half of the third act. And Nightcrawler is in fact present. Pretty sure Quicksilver is too, though the film is so forgettable that I'm not entirely sure...
The SBA has closed for business, we thank you for your patronage Assassins.
~there's always free cheese in a mousetrap.

User Info: Broken_Zeus

Broken_Zeus
3 weeks ago#355

Given his in-ring work, that might be for the best >_> I always preferred him as a personality.

Ohhhhh.... =x

Which, again, is probably better than actually seeing Rockstar wrestle, although R-Truth was always fun in the ring even if he lacked variety.

https://youtu.be/EQ6jsdrAZWA

O snap, was that EC3 next to him? Is EC3 back in the WWE? Are they actually going to do something with EC3 this time?
Gamefaqs cannot handle my #BrokenBrilliance

User Info: I_Abibde

I_Abibde
3 weeks ago#356
The current state of the WWE almost makes me nostalgic for the WCW. ... Almost.

*cue Shockmaster footage*

Broken_Zeus posted...
Kind of a neat concept and I imagine it has certain conveniences.... well, other than scheduling issues since I'd guess you can't all get the same time off to play.

One of my players is the store manager, so scheduling is a non-issue.
-- I Abibde / Samuraiter
Laughing at Game FAQs since 2002.
WhiskeyDisk posted...
I'm talking about the three lane street itself.

Oh, so not Central Park itself, you meant 8th Avenue.

Yeah, you can cross that in about 20 seconds. I think a blind tortoise that's missing a leg could cross that in less than 20 minutes.

I_Abibde posted...
The current state of the WWE almost makes me nostalgic for the WCW. ... Almost.

AEW should be a breath of fresh air when it comes. Even if it's absolutely terrible it'll still wind up being better than the WWE has managed to be over the last few years.

NXT is a different story, but NXT is barely connected to WWE at all at this point, at least creatively speaking. It's a sad state of affairs when most people are basically hoping and praying their NXT favorites never get called up to the main roster, because it's effectively a 100% kiss of death that ruins them forever.

Broken_Zeus posted...
Given his in-ring work, that might be for the best >_> I always preferred him as a personality.

They barely allow him to have one. He's better than some, but not enough to really care about.

Basically, if you're a brilliant technical wrestler or incredibly athletic gymnast who can flip across the ring (and get hugely over because of it), the WWE shuts you down, forces you to wrestle their "safe" house style, and more or less erase everything unique about you. If you have a brilliant personality and get over by sheer force of charisma, the WWE brings you in and doesn't let you show that in any way, turning you into a cardboard persona with wooden line delivery until no one cares about you and you inspire nothing but apathy.

SPEAKING of which...

Broken_Zeus posted...
O snap, was that EC3 next to him? Is EC3 back in the WWE? Are they actually going to do something with EC3 this time?

It was - EC3 was Drake/Spud's Best Man at his wedding (and it was his real, actual wedding, not a kayfabe one).

But EC3's another example of how WWE works - they basically brought EC3 in, who got over in TNA/Impact through sheer force of personality and being gold on the mic, and the first thing they did was give him a gimmick where he didn't talk for about a month. He's been there for four months now, and he's probably said fewer words all told than I've written in this paragraph. And Vince has decided to arbitrarily hate him for no good reason, so this will never change and he'll be treated like s*** forever unless he leaves.

It's gotten so bad that people have basically been posting memes about him being borderline suicidal, or just having had his love for wrestling crushed out of him entirely. And he's pretty much started Tweeting stuff on Twitter now like "Every time I make you laugh, I suffer more inside", or replying to one of Cena's boilerplate "Follow your dreams, kids!" tweets with "Dreams can become nightmares".

User Info: Donald_J_Zeus

Donald_J_Zeus
3 weeks ago#358
But EC3's another example of how WWE works - they basically brought EC3 in, who got over in TNA/Impact through sheer force of personality and being gold on the mic, and the first thing they did was give him a gimmick where he didn't talk for about a month. He's been there for four months now, and he's probably said fewer words all told than I've written in this paragraph. And Vince has decided to arbitrarily hate him for no good reason, so this will never change and he'll be treated like s*** forever unless he leaves.

Did he leave the WWE voluntarily the first time or was he fired? If he quit, that might explain Vince holding a grudge.
Making Gamefaqs great again
Donald_J_Zeus posted...
Did he leave the WWE voluntarily the first time or was he fired? If he quit, that might explain Vince holding a grudge.

Apparently part of the problem is that Vince just hates anyone who gets famous outside of the WWE in general, as he's got the general mentality of "If you didn't get over here you didn't get over" for most wrestlers (with a few rare exceptions these days). But the other part of the problem is that Vince apparently got pissed that fans at a house show were booing EC3 (who was supposed to be a face) and cheering Dean Ambrose (who was supposed to be a heel), in spite of the fact that the fans all knew Dean was leaving the company soon (so they were going to cheer him no matter what), and the fact that the WWE had done a phenomenally piss-poor job of pushing EC3 in any way (meaning no one in that audience was going to care what he was supposed to be, because almost no effort had been put into making those fans care in any way). So he arbitrary decided to hate EC3 from now until doomsday, because that is what Vince does.

The fact that the situation was entirely out of EC3's hands is immaterial - Vince basically formed a knee-jerk irrational visceral opinion of him and will never change it no matter what. EC3 is hardly the only person who's been f***ed over that way recently - Luke Harper has apparently been depushed for years and is being contract-f***ed right now solely because Vince was pissed he couldn't do a believable Southern accent, in spite of it being entirely superfluous to his character... and supposedly Andrade complained about not getting a push and Vince's answer was basically "Learn English" - in spite of the fact that Andrade actually speaks English, AND his whole character involved having a valet who does 98% of his talking for him anyway.

Keep in mind, this IS the same man who hates sneezes and who didn't know what a burrito was in spite of eating them for about a year. And who - as Chris Jericho has pointed out - will torpedo entire creative ideas or storyline builds if he didn't enjoy lunch that day (look up Jericho's "Bad Cow" anecdote). He's a man who won't bother to show up to shows until a couple hours before they go live, but who also won't allow anyone in his organization to make a long-term creative decision unless he micromanages it first (and he's more than willing to undo months worth of storyline builds and radically rewrite character motivation or alignment on a whim). He's pretty much an insane old man who no one has the courage to tell he's wrong, and his ego has expanded to astronomical levels.

The modern product is likely to continue to suck until he dies (because he's never, ever giving up power voluntarily), and as some people have pointed out, his mother is actually still alive, so he may have the genes to live more or less forever. When we're all dead, Vince may still be running the WWE (and running it into the ground).

User Info: Donald_J_Zeus

Donald_J_Zeus
3 weeks ago#360
But the other part of the problem is that Vince apparently got pissed that fans at a house show were booing EC3 (who was supposed to be a face) and cheering Dean Ambrose (who was supposed to be a heel), in spite of the fact that the fans all knew Dean was leaving the company soon (so they were going to cheer him no matter what), and the fact that the WWE had done a phenomenally piss-poor job of pushing EC3 in any way (meaning no one in that audience was going to care what he was supposed to be, because almost no effort had been put into making those fans care in any way). So he arbitrary decided to hate EC3 from now until doomsday, because that is what Vince does.

If only Vince could take that hint with Reigns >_>

The modern product is likely to continue to suck until he dies (because he's never, ever giving up power voluntarily), and as some people have pointed out, his mother is actually still alive, so he may have the genes to live more or less forever. When we're all dead, Vince may still be running the WWE (and running it into the ground).

idk, once he's out of the picture, are we all that sure that his idiotic daughter and doofus son-in-law will really do better?
Making Gamefaqs great again
  1. Boards
  2. Poll of the Day
  3. PotdMon: Nerd/Geek