You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Poll of the Day
  3. PotdMon: Nerd/Geek

User Info: Entity13

Entity13
1 month ago#241
WhiskeyDisk posted...
Entity13 posted...
more then enough

*Than.

If you need an editor, I know a guy.

😅

The best part is I know better and have no idea how I made that typo. Thanks for pointing it out. xD

Also, I have a buddy looking over the Google Doc version of the story for the typos and other mistakes I made along the way. He's at the end of chapter 8, though. <_<
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb179/EntityXIII/entityfn7.jpg
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: WhiskeyDisk

WhiskeyDisk
1 month ago#242
Just 'avin a giggle m8.
The SBA has closed for business, we thank you for your patronage Assassins.
~there's always free cheese in a mousetrap.

User Info: Raganork

Raganork
1 month ago#243
Entity13 posted...
My novel, "Elysium Shining," is almost 100k words in length. It is also an estimated 5/6 of the way complete on the first draft. If all goes well enough then I will likely publish it online through eBooks and Amazon.

A buddy of mine suggested that I decline any exclusivity deal that Amazon tries to present, because they will (and it'll be a bad deal).

Best of luck. Been trying to finish a book for years, but every attempt ends with me dragging the file to the recycle bin 60k words in. Couldn't complete a story if my life depended on it.

I'm always reading novels and researching writing tips, and when I compare my work to published material, I realize how terrible my prose is and scrap the projects I'm working on. If I'm not satisfied with my work, why should I expect others to read it?

The damage I caused when I learned about adverbs, and how proper word choice for verbs should eliminate the need for most adverbs, was nuclear. Went to look at several stories, did a ctrl+f for the words "just," "very," and words ending in "-ly", and wound up trashing 200k+ words in under a minute because the stories were not salvageable. I love writing, but releasing published work is something I doubt will ever happen.

Entity13
1 month ago#244
WhiskeyDisk posted...
Just 'avin a giggle m8.

I know.

Entity13
1 month ago#245
I'm nearing 115k words at the moment, and have chapter 49 in progress. What was meant to be one chapter of s*** fitting the fan became three . . . three solid chapters. Ah ah ahhh...

Raganork posted...
I'm always reading novels and researching writing tips, and when I compare my work to published material, I realize how terrible my prose is and scrap the projects I'm working on. If I'm not satisfied with my work, why should I expect others to read it?

The damage I caused when I learned about adverbs, and how proper word choice for verbs should eliminate the need for most adverbs, was nuclear. Went to look at several stories, did a ctrl+f for the words "just," "very," and words ending in "-ly", and wound up trashing 200k+ words in under a minute because the stories were not salvageable. I love writing, but releasing published work is something I doubt will ever happen.

I'm usually good against "very," not really using it much inside of dialogue even. The "-ly" words are typically minimal, but then I go through my revision work to adjust as much as needed or ask myself if I'm doing the sentence enough justice. As for "Just," that might be a weakness of mine when I write fast to get the story's first draft done. As I go through to polish the story, because I'd feel justled otherwise, I'll consider how to rewrite that sentence in the event that deleting the word isn't enough. Again, if it's inside of dialogue from a character, or at least internal monologue, then I might leave it for flavor's sake since people talk how they talk.

Entity13
1 month ago#246
Just posting to keep this thread out of the purge monster's foul maw.

Entity13
1 month ago#247
And bumping again while I work on chapter 53 of "Elysium Shining." The projected ending is 59+epilogue, at this point. It's also past the 130k mark. My quick "just" revision is up to chapter 34.

As I pointed out before the 65 appearances of "just" until that point amount to adjustments, a couple references to justice, and characters saying the actual word in their dialogue. I still have another hundred or so uses to review while I run my quick revisions. This helps me spot a few typos too.

Now if I can finish this thing properly within the week it should be pretty damn good. My test audience is liking it, at least.

User Info: The Wave Master

The Wave Master
1 month ago#248
I tore the hamstring in my left leg. It hurt like the Dickens for the last two weeks. The pain is slowly going away, but my mobility is still limited.

I'm just not having the best 2019 this far, and I hope it a gets better very soon.

Of anyone saw Detective Pikachu this weekend let me know if it's worth my time.
We are who we choose to be.

User Info: I_Abibde

I_Abibde
4 weeks ago#249
Solving FOE-based puzzles in Etrian Odyssey puts hair on the old chest. ... Nexus made me sweat by throwing all of those giant pineapples at me in the Southern Shrine.

What really struck me about those damn things, though, is that they are clearly modeled on the beach ball monster from the old John Carpenter movie Dark Star. And they laugh like that little sumb****, too. ... Atlus has a sense of humor.
-- I Abibde / Samuraiter
Laughing at Game FAQs since 2002.

Entity13
4 weeks ago#250
The past couple chapters I've written have been in the 4300-4600 range on the word count. This is during the final major conflict of the story, btw, and the end word count may or may not pass 150k. <_<
  1. Boards
  2. Poll of the Day
  3. PotdMon: Nerd/Geek