You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Poll of the Day
  3. Anime, Manga, VN, JRPG, Related Things Discussion Topic LXXXV

User Info: keyblader1985

keyblader1985
1 month ago#71
^I don't know when the show started, but it was probably affected by the manga being canceled over licensing issues with the game franchises.

So I have this little habit, where when I'm doing some menial task I'll say "there we go" to myself. The thing is, when they were dubbing the show Noir, Kirika's voice actor decided to add that little phrase in the same context as a habit of Kirika's, whenever it was appropriate. It was adorable, and now I can't say the phrase without thinking of that show.
Official King of PotD
You only need one T-Rex to make the point, though. ~ Samus Sedai

User Info: YoukaiSlayer

YoukaiSlayer
1 month ago#72
I WON A CONTEST. Gonna have some dialogue I wrote for some unused NPCs put into crosscode and I win the soundtrack and my name in the credits. Crosscode is an absolutely fantastic game btw. 60 hours of finely polished puzzle, action rpg with some of the best level design in games and it's like 20 bucks or something. Super happy I got to leave even a small mark on the game.

I've been playing the absolute f*** out of xenoblade 2 this last week or so and still only like half way through. It's not a perfect game but man do I like it a lot. It kinda sucks that the voice direction was so poor so a lot of the lines sound odd like they were spliced together out of 2 different voice lines with other contexts. When that isn't happening, they sound fine. Well, except when rex yells. He is like the polar opposite of asta yelling. It's so half hearted that it sounds like he just can't be assed to actually yell.

I thought I was going to dislike rex a lot though. I'd seen a few videos of xenoblade 2 and heard the voice and seen how stupid his character is sometimes but in game I feel like they did a fantastic job with him. Might be my favorite boy protagonist. Childish but earnest in a way that feels believable and he actually manages to feel like a leader pretty effectively.

Like with all xenoblade games, the locations and environments are simply the best in the business and this time they rectified my only gripe with the previous formula, IE: more towns. In xenoblade X especially there was only 1 town and a sort of small room of the lion guys in a cave. This game has several towns all with their own culture and customs and it was the missing piece. This one continues the trend of strange world design with the whole world being covered by a large cloud sea and large creatures serving as the landmass.

Even within each area though, the design is still fantastic. All sorts of little ledges and alcoves and secret spots. They also continue to be the only devs besides FF that are using level based ecosystems so that every area is always relevant no matter how far into the game you are and you can organically feel yourself getting stronger as you can be more and more brazen about your movement until eventually you can beat everything and can walk wherever you please although by that point you won't have to cause you will have learned your way around the beautiful twisted sprawling maps.

This one has toned down the level integration from X where you were nearly always at the risk of being mauled by a high level enemy so hopefully it's serving as a good middle ground. It also gives you goals. I'm gonna kill that damn messer taos before long to pay him back from all the unexpected times he chased me around gormot. In the low 50s right now so I probably need 10 more levels to be able to win.

The real thing that stands out to me in this game though is how much of it there is. The areas are huge and theres a ton of em, the enemy variety is huge, the pokemon like blade system is incredibly fleshed out with voiced cutscenes and missions for most of the 50 or so unique ones, theres soooo many quests, theres salvaging, merc missions, affinity charts, area development, complicated but satisfying combat, build and playstyle variety, tons of top tier music. This feels like the most massive project of a game I've seen yet and it just feels like there was so much work that must of went into making it and I'm only half done.
I'm ninja
(you can't see me)

User Info: T0ffee

T0ffee
1 month ago#73
That sounds amazing.

Xenoblade Chronicles and X are some of my all time favorite games.

I'm saving up to get a Switch just so I can play Xenoblade 2. All other games are just a bonus at that point.
"Splashing water on a pervert is like putting lasers on a shark" - Shiho Shishido

YoukaiSlayer
1 month ago#74
I'm probably overselling it a bit. There are a few nitpicks I have. There doesn't seem to be a beastiary or if there is it's not very obvious. Salvaging could use a similar thing as well to keep track of various areas and items. These seem like no brainer inclusions that should have been there. The way trust is gained in battle is a bit lackluster. I feel like it should keep going up while you have max affinity up to a cap to prevent just afking against low level enemies to max it out. Instead it can only go up more than once if you lose affinity by dying.

I also DESPISE the fact that hitting + (the switches version of the start button) immediately closes the menu no matter what you were doing. I've canceled so many merc missions after picking out the perfect blades for it cause I hit + instead of X.

Salvaging goes from "I guess this'll make me money slowly" to "holy s*** I just made 1 mil in 20 minutes" very abruptly. It's basically barely worth doing before gold cylinders and then amazingly worth doing as soon as you can buy em. It also kinda took some of the fun out of area development cause so much money is changing hands a 20 minute salvaging session is enough to max out an area.

Still, mostly minor nitpicks. Still having a wonderful time almost 100 hours in.
I'm ninja
(you can't see me)

keyblader1985
1 month ago#75
That's fantastic about Crosscode. I thought I was gonna get my name in Shovel Knight, but I remembered I didn't shell out for that backer tier. I am gonna get my name in Shenmue III though.
Official King of PotD

YoukaiSlayer
1 month ago#76
Yeah fortunately this contest has nothing to do with backing the game or anything. I'm pretty happy I won since the NPCs I chose are in the last equipment store where I and I imagine most people will spend a lot of time. A little annoying that the whole contest is done through email instead of a contest entry form or something but oh well. I kinda figured I'd lose. They said to try to keep it under 10 lines but mine was almost 20 (but in my defense, there were 5 NPCs in mine which is larger than most groups you will find) and I figured there'd be a lot of competition for those NPCs specifically.
I'm ninja
(you can't see me)

User Info: T0ffee

T0ffee
1 month ago#77
Forgot to mention that I finally managed to get a proper PS1 emulator working a while ago, and I just finished Suikoden 1!

All 108 Stars of Destiny, and all castle extras gotten. I did cheat and used a gameshark to level up the characters that'll get imported to Suikoden 2 up to 99, because who has the time for that nonsense?

Overall, it was a good game. It was certainly rough in some aspects, especially the rune system and the combat. Plus, the story definitely suffered from space limitations since it needed a whole lot more time to expand on the world and plot, but the potential was definitely there.

I've heard lots of good things about Suikoden 2 though, and how vastly improved it is from 1. I also heard about the numerous potentially completionist-run ending bugs it has. Thankfully, there's a bugfix patch available so as soon as I apply it, I can start on Suikoden 2!
"Splashing water on a pervert is like putting lasers on a shark" - Shiho Shishido

keyblader1985
1 month ago#78
On that note, I've been playing Omega Labyrinth on Vita (and f*** Sony once again for shooting down the localization). It's probably the easiest roguelike I've ever played.
Official King of PotD

User Info: I_Abibde

I_Abibde
1 month ago#79
Congratulations to our resident Youkai.

And, if Suikoden is good (it is), Suikoden II is great. Every JRPG fan ought to experience it at least once, IMO. ... And then shed a tear for the fact that Konami killed off the series (... despite Suikoden V being almost as good as Suikoden II, if you ask me).

On my end, I have decided that I have waited long enough, and that the time has come for me to return to a series that I once thought dead. I have returned to Guilty Gear (by acquiring Xrd Sign and Xrd Revelator). ... But I also picked up a couple of Blaz Blue titles on the cheap, since the two series are bastard siblings.
-- I Abibde / Samuraiter
Laughing at Game FAQs since 2002.

User Info: dragon504

dragon504
1 month ago#80
I've never played a Suikoden. I do have a copy of 3 for ps2, but nothing to play it on. It's a shame my ps4 can't play ps2 discs.
http://myanimelist.net/profile/dragon504
http://followmy.tv/u/dragon504/time_wasted
  1. Boards
  2. Poll of the Day
  3. Anime, Manga, VN, JRPG, Related Things Discussion Topic LXXXV