You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Poll of the Day
  3. Anime, Manga, VN, JRPG, Related Things Discussion Topic LXXXV

User Info: YoukaiSlayer

YoukaiSlayer
4 weeks ago#101
Kinda tempted to read that spoiler text since I don't care about my hero academia too much. Don't read manga though.

I caved and watched the first 3 episodes of boogiepop that are out. I had read some impressions of it earlier and I'm almost disappointed. It was very clear what was happening and quite easy to follow. I really don't understand how so many people are lost. Compared to the first anime, this one is far easier to grasp. We don't even have an unreliable narrator (at least as far as we know). Have we really come to a point where unmarked timeskips are beyond the average viewers comprehension?

Oh well, none of that really has to do with the show, rather the community. The show itself seems mostly good. There is some super janky animation in the first episode. I'm not sure what happened. It's beyond bad but its also only a few scenes. I'm not sure if someone made a horrible mistake and there wasn't time for corrections or if it was some intentional low frame animation technique the director was trying out and it just didn't work out. It's strange because the background quality is quite good.

The first 3 episodes comprise an introduction arc. There is a villain that gets dealt with but the main purpose is to introduce the main characters and concepts of this world. I think it does that quite well. The OP and ED and really all the music is very good IMO. It really suits this dark mystery series.

A problem with the first anime has also been remedied a bit. In the first one, everyone looked very realistic which means they all looked virtually identical. This version kept a fair bit of realism but did two things to make it easier. Firstly, background character's faces are barely animated often times not drawn at all. Secondly, they just exaggerated some of the main characters features. It's still less extreme than the average anime by a mile but it's just enough to easily be able to tell who is who at a glance. The first one was so confusing with it being seriously hard to tell anyone apart.

Aside from the jank as hell animation I mentioned, it's really everything I was hoping for. If you didn't follow it, the first anime (airing in 2000) was an original story set between two of the light novels and it fully required you to have read the previous light novels to have any idea whats going on. This new boogiepop anime is simply an adaptation of the light novels starting from the beginning requiring no knowledge of the series.

For even more history, boogiepop was the LN that made LN's a thing in japan. It gave LN's their initial view as darker psychological young adult fiction. Of course, that has obviously and unfortunately changed with isekai taking the LN world by storm. I'd consider the monogatari series to be essentially the final evolution of this style of story. I honestly would have loved to see what shaft would have done with this adaptation. Still, I'm having a good time with it so far. I hope it keeps up the quality storytelling and does't let episode 1's jankiness return (it didn't seem present in episodes 2 or 3 at all so thats promising).
I'm ninja
(you can't see me)

User Info: wolfy42

wolfy42
4 weeks ago#102
Just started reading "The Gamer" which is quite fun and fairly long. I read Goblins a week ago and before that I read The Order of the Stick.

All are quite fun and will waste tons of time if any of you guys are looking for something to read/do in your spare time. Best thing is you can do any of it for just a few minutes at a time if you want.
"did you steal my f***in signature" Helly

User Info: keyblader1985

keyblader1985
4 weeks ago#103
I'm a few chapters behind on Academia; last one I saw was Bakugou's curbstomp battle.

I used to read The Gamer, I think I stopped once I caught up with the latest release. I should pick it up again.
Official King of PotD
You only need one T-Rex to make the point, though. ~ Samus Sedai

User Info: T0ffee

T0ffee
4 weeks ago#104
wolfy42 posted...
Just started reading "The Gamer" which is quite fun and fairly long. I read Goblins a week ago and before that I read The Order of the Stick.

All are quite fun and will waste tons of time if any of you guys are looking for something to read/do in your spare time. Best thing is you can do any of it for just a few minutes at a time if you want.

If you like The Gamer, try reading Solo Leveling next.

It's much MUCH better than The Gamer imo, with better pacing, a more active protagonist, and phenomenal art. Like seriously, just check it out for the art during battle scenes alone. It's amazing.

I would also put Legendary Moonlight Sculptor above The Gamer. It doesn't have the "game mechanics in the real world" setting that the other two have, but the protagonist does go into a VR fantasy game world so you still see him earn skills and level up and such. Just a head's up though, the artist changed between the first and second season, so the art style is drastically different between the two parts. So yeah, don't get too attached to the first artstyle.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that Moonlight Sculptor is currently on hiatus, and no news has been released yet about when it'll come back. :(
"Splashing water on a pervert is like putting lasers on a shark" - Shiho Shishido
(edited 4 weeks ago)

User Info: T0ffee

T0ffee
4 weeks ago#105
Anybody else keeping an eye on the english patch for Super Robot Taisen OG Saga: Endless Frontier EXCEED? They posted an update recently:

From ValkyrieXY on gbatemp...
Translation

- The entire script of the story is translated.
- Menus (Items, Attacks, Skills, etc…) : 100% translated.
- Tutorial : 100% translated.
- Ending Credits : 100% translated.

- - - -

Review

The translated script needs to be reviewed twice.
First review : 92% done (115/125).
Second review : 52% done (65/125).

- - - -

Beta-test

I can't give you a percentage about this, sorry.
But beta-test won't be long I think, because the game is running fine in our betas.

Super glad to see the project is still ongoing. At this rate we might see it finished around March.
"Splashing water on a pervert is like putting lasers on a shark" - Shiho Shishido

User Info: I_Abibde

I_Abibde
4 weeks ago#106
I am still divided on whether to import that or just bite the bullet and play the translation instead.

YoukaiSlayer posted...
For even more history, boogiepop was the LN that made LN's a thing in japan.

*eyebrow twitch*

The original sin, eh?
-- I Abibde / Samuraiter
Laughing at Game FAQs since 2002.

YoukaiSlayer
4 weeks ago#107
Watched episode 4 of boogiepop. New arc has started and it seems more interesting than the first. You can finally start to see what the shows really about if you look hard enough although judging by comments, nobody is doing that. Gotta mention btw but the OP and ED are the best of season without even watching the other shows. Solid songs, solid visuals, extremely fitting for the show.

I_Abibde posted...

*eyebrow twitch*

The original sin, eh?

LNs were actually great back then. Or at least what got adapted to anime was. I think it wasn't till around sword art that they become what they are now.
I'm ninja
(you can't see me)
(edited 4 weeks ago)

User Info: wolfy42

wolfy42
4 weeks ago#108
T0ffee posted...
wolfy42 posted...

If you like The Gamer, try reading Solo Leveling next.

It's much MUCH better than The Gamer imo, with better pacing, a more active protagonist, and phenomenal art. Like seriously, just check it out for the art during battle scenes alone. It's amazing.

I would also put Legendary Moonlight Sculptor above The Gamer. It doesn't have the "game mechanics in the real world" setting that the other two have, but the protagonist does go into a VR fantasy game world so you still see him earn skills and level up and such. Just a head's up though, the artist changed between the first and second season, so the art style is drastically different between the two parts. So yeah, don't get too attached to the first artstyle.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that Moonlight Sculptor is currently on hiatus, and no news has been released yet about when it'll come back. :(

Awesome thanks!! I hate when i finish a comic and then have nothing to replace it with:) Can't wait now!!!!

Edit, found the first one easily, but LMS was hard to find the webtoon version of, but found it I did eventually!! YEAH:) Also the website might have more for me as well. Totally new to these online comic things, I love them!!
"did you steal my f***in signature" Helly
(edited 4 weeks ago)

YoukaiSlayer
4 weeks ago#109
Watched the episode of manaria friends thats out. It's really well animated for something that's just magic highschool yuribait. Kinda looks like a discount violet evergarden. The yuribait is quite strong but people seem to be saying it won't go beyond bait which is frustrating. Every girl constantly looks like they are 1 second away from confessing to the main girl. Their default state seems to be blushing. Annoyingly, it's short form. Only like 11 minutes of content for the first episode. The stuff that happened wasn't exactly interesting either. Might still be worth watching for the art and bait alone but thats about all it has going for it.
I'm ninja
(you can't see me)

User Info: Zeus

Zeus
4 weeks ago#110
I_Abibde posted...
I never played any of the anime-based CCGs, and I only dabbled in MTG (... because CCGs always seemed to bring out the worst in people, back in the day, and my opinion of that has not changed).

I tried some of the offshoots -- such as the first DBZ one, which was kinda okay -- and a few of the fringier cash-ins (like the Gundam one, which I don't remember being any good)
(\/)(\/)|-|
There are precious few at ease / With moral ambiguities / So we act as though they don't exist.
  1. Boards
  2. Poll of the Day
  3. Anime, Manga, VN, JRPG, Related Things Discussion Topic LXXXV