You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Poll of the Day
  3. Justice Department alleges Trump knowingly directed Cohen to commit felonies

User Info: darkknight109

darkknight109
3 weeks ago#241
streamofthesky posted...
If I recall correctly, that Justice Dept. memo was written by Clinton's Justice Dept. while he was being scrutinized for the scandal of...having an affair. So the whole thing comes across as sketchy when it comes to being an authoritative legal decision.

The OLC, which wrote the memos (along with two more in the Nixon era) arguing that the president (and vice president) was immune from prosecution, is effectively the President's own private law firm, while the one DoJ memo that argued that the president was not immune from prosecution was written by Ronald Rotunda - a noted conservative legal scholar - at the behest of Special Counsel Kenneth Starr. So yeah, all four of those memos - the three in favour and one against - all have some level of bias built into them.

Not saying I agree with the findings of the memo, just that it's the most convincing argument I've heard.

streamofthesky posted...
I argue they didn't intend for Congress to shield the president from punishment for any possible wrongdoing, either.

Well, that's the thing about democracy - the people get both the government they choose and the government they deserve.
Kill 1 man: You are a murderer. Kill 10 men: You are a monster.
Kill 100 men: You are a hero. Kill 10,000 men, you are a conqueror!

User Info: streamofthesky

streamofthesky
3 weeks ago#242
darkknight109 posted...
streamofthesky posted...
I argue they didn't intend for Congress to shield the president from punishment for any possible wrongdoing, either.

Well, that's the thing about democracy - the people get both the government they choose and the government they deserve.

I don't agree necessarily that the people "deserve" the government they get, though.

Maybe the founders didn't write the most airtight, foolproof plan for elections and government, and it's been exploited by those in power to the point where the will of the people is outright ignored in favor of wealthy special interests?
Do you really thing they would've intended for one party to routinely win a higher % of Congressional votes only to have a minority of the seats in most election years? Do you think they intended for gerrymandering to distort beyond belief the vote % results compared to the proportion of seats won? Or that in 3/4 of the races, the winner is determined in the primary (which is often closed or restricted to unaffiliated voters) rather than the general election, because whoever has the mantle of the dominant party in that district/state is assured victory?

darkknight109
3 weeks ago#243
streamofthesky posted...
Do you really thing they would've intended for one party to routinely win a higher % of Congressional votes only to have a minority of the seats in most election years?

Actually yes. A great deal of concern was given towards the rights of smaller states and ensuring they would not be held subservient to larger ones (and given the clout of large states like New York in America's infancy, this fear was not entirely unfounded). That's why the electoral college somewhat favours smaller states and the Senate flat-out gives them equal representation to larger states.

streamofthesky posted...
Do you think they intended for gerrymandering to distort beyond belief the vote % results compared to the proportion of seats won? Or that in 3/4 of the races, the winner is determined in the primary (which is often closed or restricted to unaffiliated voters) rather than the general election, because whoever has the mantle of the dominant party in that district/state is assured victory?

No, but the argument could be made that they trusted in the will of the people and that if the people chose to elect politicians who would enact those sorts of structural changes, they must have had good reason for doing so.

While it's easy enough to say "it's the damn politicians fault!", that's a bit of a copout - who put those politicians there in the first place? And who doesn't care enough to remove them from power?

User Info: Born Lucky

Born Lucky
3 weeks ago#244
So like I said

It was all a lie

But the brainwashed fools who worship people like Rachel Maddow and Jimmy Kimmel, were foaming at the mouth , hoping it was true..

Proof positive - Liberals are brainwashed little robots, that can't think for themselves.
They get told who to hate, and what to think, by their pop culture gods who do all their thinking for them.
Corsair 550D/ Gigabyte Z170X Gaming3 / Vengeance 16GB DDR4 2666 / i-5 6600k / MSI Twin Frozr VI 6GB GTX 1060 /
(edited 3 weeks ago)

darkknight109
3 weeks ago#245
Born Lucky posted...
Proof positive - Liberals are brainwashed little robots, that can't think for themselves.
They get told who to hate, and what to think, by their pop culture gods who do all their thinking for them.

Yep, that totally proves it. I mean, as long as you ignore that (incomplete) list of 25+ reasons I posted back ~50 posts ago as to why people have good reason to hate Trump.

But since you just seem to enjoy partisan chest-thumping as opposed to actual discussion, I'm guessing this is lost on you.
(edited 3 weeks ago)

User Info: zebatov

zebatov
3 weeks ago#246
Born Lucky posted...
So like I said

It was all a lie

But the brainwashed fools who worship people like Rachel Maddow and Jimmy Kimmel, were foaming at the mouth , hoping it was true..

When you're right, you're right!

zebatov posted...
It's funny how upset this topic makes non-citizens
I'm right, as expected.
(edited 3 weeks ago)

darkknight109
3 weeks ago#247
darkknight109 posted...
Born Lucky posted...

Yep, that totally proves it. I mean, as long as you ignore that (incomplete) list of 25+ reasons I posted back ~50 posts ago as to why people have good reason to hate Trump.

But since you just seem to enjoy partisan chest-thumping as opposed to actual discussion, I'm guessing this is lost on you.

User Info: Doctor Foxx

Doctor Foxx
3 weeks ago#248
https://www.cnbc.com/2019/01/23/michael-cohen-postpones-plan-to-testify-at-congress-.html

Witness Intimidated
Never write off the Doctor!

User Info: Far-Queue

Far-Queue
3 weeks ago#249
Roger Stone arrested:

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/roger-stone-indicted-on-several-charges-as-part-of-muellers-russia-collusion-probe
https://i.imgur.com/ZwO4qO2.gifv
Bluer than velvet was the night... Softer than satin was the light... From the stars...
But like still not collision mannn
When you're such a mistake that God laughs in your face.
  1. Boards
  2. Poll of the Day
  3. Justice Department alleges Trump knowingly directed Cohen to commit felonies