You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them

User Info: Metalsonic66

Metalsonic66
2 months ago#31
Die Again Tomorrow Forever
PSN/Steam ID: Metalsonic_69
Big bombs go kabang.
Entity13 posted...
InhumaneRaider posted...
So, if Superhumans existed? How would the government be able to identify and register them? Do you believe advancement in technology would grow?

I believe the technology to catalog or make conflict would grow with more certainty or haste than technology to conceivably help us all, superpowered or no. Politics would be much the same. Acts out of fear, anger, or damaged egos and pride tend to rush forward.

To go the route Marvel went with the "Days of Future Past" storyline where all mutants are hunted, rounded up, and forced into internment camps, one of the first things they did was find a couple of mutants with telepathy or mutant-detecting powers, collar and condition them, and then force them to hunt down their own kind. If superpowers exist across a wide enough spectrum, it's almost a given that eventually someone will develop the power to detect others who also have powers. And at least a few of them will almost certainly sell out their own kind for favors, or simply out of a sense of personal preservation.

On top of which, "mutant-detecting" technology already existed in-universe (a la Professor Xavier using Cerebro to locate mutants to recruit into the X-Men), and there's no reason why the government couldn't replicate that sort of technology for themselves. Issue special ops police with handheld scanners and use stronger, omni-directional scanners mounted in roving surveillance vans and you can cover most populated areas and detect potential superpowered beings no matter how well they keep under cover.

Of course, there's also the fact that, in any universe where people start manifesting unnatural super powers, scientific studies will begin almost immediately to analyze the nature of the empowered and determine the origin of the mutation (with the dual goals in mind of neutralizing powers in those who aren't authorized but also to help jumpstart powers in those you deem worthy - ie, controllable). And once you isolate the X-gene/metagene/Wild Card virus/etc in someone's biology, it would be incredibly easy to develop biochemical tests that can detect it - and from there it's a short hop to "Spit in this cup, we'll send it off for testing, and if you're cleared we'll issue you government-approved ID that says you're allowed to actually buy things and hold a job and otherwise live your life". That's something else that happened in the Marvel setting - everyone was forced into getting tested, and then sorted into "normal baseline human", "mutant", or "anomalous human" (ie, humans who weren't mutants and lacked powers, but had the potential to give birth to mutant children). And then mutants were forced to wear identifying marks at all times so everyone would know they were a mutant at a glance, and anomalous humans had most of the rights of normal humans, but weren't legally allowed to breed.

And that was in a setting before cell phones were ubiquitous and pretty much everyone leaves a digital trail a mile wide (even people who are "off the grid" but still get mentioned in other people's Facebook or Twitter posts, or go places with camera surveillance, are still more "on the grid" than they realize). It's pathetically easy to track people these days, cross-reference who has been "tested" and who hasn't, and track down violators who display any signs of possessing powers.

(Hell, the entire idea of the Batcave has been ridiculous since 2000 or so, as we now live in a world where satellites can read a license plate from space, and flying drones with cameras are a thing. The first time the Batmobile drives into a cave near Wayne Manor, his secret identity is pretty much f***ed.)

"Wall of Text'D!" --- oldskoolplayr76
"POwned again." --- blight family

User Info: Entity13

Entity13
2 months ago#33
Alrighty, so... Dalton was a bit more Bond-like in his second film, which was the one where, for plot reasons, he had more reason to be consistently angry or a******-ish. Oh, and I'm not sure about the ending. It basically amounts to "Oh, your rogue vengeance quest is over, and everything is A-OK again, including possibly your job that you threw away earlier in the film." I've seen nonsensically happy endings, but come on.

That just leaves the Bosnan films, three of which I enjoyed when they came out, and one that was just really "meh." I'll let y'all guess which of the four that was. <_<
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb179/EntityXIII/entityfn7.jpg

User Info: Zeus

Zeus
2 months ago#34
Found a copy of Arkham Asylum: A Serious House on Serious Earth at a thrift store the other day. I got excited at first because I had heard things that intrigued me... but the art, layout, etc, makes the damn thing seem borderline incomprehensible.

The Wave Master posted...
Honestly, I'm not a Smash fan, and I do not even own a Switch. I just don't care about the game, and there isn't s stage, song, or character that will get me invested in this franchise. It's not a traditional fighting game in my eyes, and the random nature of the gameplay take any skill out of the game, and thus my fun.

I.... what?
(\/)(\/)|-|
There are precious few at ease / With moral ambiguities / So we act as though they don't exist.

User Info: Metalsonic66

Metalsonic66
2 months ago#35
Yeah that only applies if you play with items on and on the wackier maps.
PSN/Steam ID: Metalsonic_69
Big bombs go kabang.

User Info: Raganork

Raganork
2 months ago#36
I'm looking at picking up The Shadow of the Colossus HD remake and Dragon Quest 11.

I was never a fan of the DQ series, but I’m either psychotic or just plain stupid, because I bought DQ11 anyway, fully expecting to hate it. I loved it. Probably my favorite game of the year. It was such a welcoming palate cleanse.
Entity13 posted...
What would you consider to be your top three fantasy-based races? As a related bonus, so you can possibly separate the genres, what might you call your three favorite science fiction races?

Humans ( :P )
Demons (Sepcificially Succubi and Incubi, but really any demons that still retains human physical characteristics)
Titans (I’m talking the size of Greek Titans or preferably even larger, not just really tall humans)
Honestly, I'm not a Smash fan, and I do not even own a Switch. I just don't care about the game, and there isn't s stage, song, or character that will get me invested in this franchise. It's not a traditional fighting game in my eyes, and the random nature of the gameplay take any skill out of the game, and thus my fun.

I’ve loved Smash since the N64 days, so I’m very excited for this one. Part of the reason is because I never took the games seriously as competitive games; I can look past the bulls*** and enjoy them as fun party games. My brother and I have played these games for almost 20 years now, so it’s a very special series to us.
Entity13 posted...
That just leaves the Bosnan films, three of which I enjoyed when they came out, and one that was just really "meh." I'll let y'all guess which of the four that was. <_<

Die Another Day? That’s my favorite at least. I really liked the Pierce Brosnan films, partly because I like Pierce Brosnan. I don’t think he’s a particularly good actor, but he has charm, and that counts for a lot.

Entity13
2 months ago#37
Raganork posted...
Die Another Day? That’s my favorite at least. I really liked the Pierce Brosnan films, partly because I like Pierce Brosnan. I don’t think he’s a particularly good actor, but he has charm, and that counts for a lot.

He was a good fit for the part, even before Dalton took it. And "Die Another Day" is one of the three good ones.
Entity13 posted...

If you completely reverse that, it mostly sums up my views on Brosnan as Bond. Goldeneye was a damned good movie, Die Another Die was 7/8ths s***, and the other two were kind of bleh.

Which is a shame, because I like Brosnan AS Bond - he just got handed some really s***ty scripts.

...which is how I tend to view Colin Baker's time as The Doctor, though in his case I think he actually had a lot more good episodes than most people give him credit for.

Entity13
2 months ago#39
ParanoidObsessive posted...
If you completely reverse that, it mostly sums up my views on Brosnan as Bond. Goldeneye was a damned good movie, Die Another Die was 7/8ths s***, and the other two were kind of bleh.

Reverse what exactly? I said there were three that I liked, at least on release. How I feel about them now may vary.
Entity13 posted...
ParanoidObsessive posted...

Reverse what exactly? I said there were three that I liked, at least on release. How I feel about them now may vary.

You said there were three you liked and one you kind of didn't. For me it was the reverse - there was one I liked and three I kind of didn't.