You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.

User Info: I_Abibde

I_Abibde
1 month ago#281
Entity13 posted...
and it was my question with Dragon Quest XI for the same reason (less enjoyment for me here).

I forgive DQXI its reliance on standards and tropes because it does not pretend to be anything other than it what it is (i.e. the JRPG gold standard), though it still managed to surprise me at several junctures.

ParanoidObsessive posted...
I knew Mordo was going to turn...

... but, in spite of the audience knowing that in advance, they took Mordo and made him interesting, and I give the MCU bonus points for that.
-- I Abibde / Samuraiter
Laughing at Game FAQs since 2002.
I_Abibde posted...
... but, in spite of the audience knowing that in advance, they took Mordo and made him interesting, and I give the MCU bonus points for that.

Granted. At least he wasn't all "Argle bargle, I'm a bad guy, grrr!", which is about all the motivation he had in the comics.

I wasn't super keen on how they turned him in the movie, though. It felt rushed, like they knew he had to be evil by the end of the movie and only remembered that they had to turn him about 20 minutes before the movie ended. It would have been infinitely preferable to just keep him good (but conflicted), and have the full turn happen in the sequel.

I had the same problem with Sinestro in the Green Lantern movie, though in that case it was hardly the only problem the film had.

"Wall of Text'D!" --- oldskoolplayr76
"POwned again." --- blight family
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: CyborgSage00x0

CyborgSage00x0
1 month ago#283
The Wave Master posted...
Spider-man: Far From Home trailer.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DYYtuKyMtY8

The plot has been leaked online for a few weeks now, and this trailer seems to confirm most of that. Which isn't good...the leaked plot details sounds like a mess. That said, yeah, instantly obvious those are Illusions Mysterio is fighting. But I AM excited for Mysterio. I've always considered him one of the more interesting, and under-used Spidey villain.

WhiskeyDisk posted...
I just wish they weren't playing so fast and loose with Peter's Spidey senses. In infinity War, the hairs on his arm are standing on end as soon as the alien ship drops out of orbit over Manhattan, but then in this trailer he's completely oblivious to the fact that Nick Fury is in his hotel room tranquilizing his buddy until it's too late, and that doesn't bode well for his seeing thru Mysterio's shenanigans.

Even in Homecoming and Civil War it seemed like his Spidey Senses flicked on and off at random depending on what the scene required.

Unless they nail down that it's a still-developing power or something it's going to seem sloppy.

Glad I'm not the only one who noticed this. Either they forget how often Spider Sense should be going off, or they realized it's kinda an OP ability, and would ruin too many "cool" scene moments. Kinda annoying either way. I always liked how much they highlighted it in Raimi's Spider-Man movies.

Speaking of Tales, Vesperia is finally out on a wide release, so I plan on picking it up soon. It's the one Tales game that people say matches or bests Symphonia, so I'm a bit hyped.
PotD's resident Film Expert.
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: Zeus

Zeus
1 month ago#284
ParanoidObsessive posted...
I had the same problem with Sinestro in the Green Lantern movie, though in that case it was hardly the only problem the film had.

Kek. I did kinda wind up liking aspects of Parallax's design, though.

CyborgSage00x0 posted...
The plot has been leaked online for a few weeks now, and this trailer seems to confirm most of that. Which isn't good...the leaked plot details sounds like a mess. That said, yeah, instantly obvious those are Illusions Mysterio is fighting. But I AM excited for Mysterio. I've always considered him one of the more interesting, and under-used Spidey villain.

He made the N64 game awesome and added a lot to Spidey 2 as well.

WhiskeyDisk posted...
then in this trailer he's completely oblivious to the fact that Nick Fury is in his hotel room tranquilizing his buddy until it's too late, and that doesn't bode well for his seeing thru Mysterio's shenanigans.

Conversely, the sense may have recognized that Fury posed no danger?
(\/)(\/)|-|
There are precious few at ease / With moral ambiguities / So we act as though they don't exist.

User Info: WhiskeyDisk

WhiskeyDisk
1 month ago#285
Zeus posted...

An interesting take on it, and in a vacuum I'd concede the point even if I tend to consider Fury himself as a chaotic neutral with good intentions, but totally willing to go to almost Punisher levels to get what he wants.

However, there are too many instances already in Tom Holland's run as Spidey where the Spidey sense works or doesn't work depending on what the scene demands and I've always interpreted the Spidey Sense as a bit of a causality breaker in keeping Parker half a second ahead of the script normally when it is on point and if we're being entirely literal, his entire nervous system would have to learn to adapt to having an almost Schrodinger's Cat level of permanent Activation Syndrome/PTSD to handle the level of sensory overload it would produce.

I would argue that out of his entire skillset, it's his most defining and unique skill as a character and it's jarring to see this version of Spidey so inconsistent about it's threshold.

I'm not saying that I dislike Holland's portrayal of a young Parker, but the writing needs to make a stand on how Spidey Sense functions without that Iron Spider version playing half of it off as an AI Deus ex machina when they've also shown instances of organic Spidey Sense at play.
http://i.imgur.com/4fmtLFt.gif
http://s1.zetaboards.com/sba/ ~there's always free cheese in a mousetrap.
Zeus posted...
Kek. I did kinda wind up liking aspects of Parallax's design, though.

I wasn't opposed to it. I just think it's something you save for the sequels, and build up over time. If they'd have been more willing to do that, they might actually have GOTTEN sequels.

Honestly, I would have lifted a lot more from the Geoff Johns reboot continuity for the story. Have Abin Sur transporting Atrocitus in his ship, only to crash on Earth when Atrocitus gets loose and attacks him. Abin Sur dies and passes on the ring, Atrocitus escapes and is running around on Earth. Hal gets the ring and starts to figure stuff out, eventually fights Atrocitus and loses. Then Sinestro shows up, having trailed Abin Sur to Earth. He becomes the a****** mentor figure, explains some of the important details to Hal, and eventually they work together to defeat Atrocitus. Movie ends with Sinestro leaving with Atrocitus and Hal and Carol having their moment of reconnection.

Then you save most of the actual Green Lantern Corps stuff for the sequel, wherein Hal is finally recalled to space (by Sinestro, who has reported the transfer of the ring), and you develop the deeper mythos. Meanwhile, they wind up fighting a new threat (maybe the Manhunters, maybe the Weaponeers, maybe Krona, maybe something else). You have more buddy cop interaction between Sinestro and Hal, where each sort of dislikes but also learns to respect the other's methods, so we can actually work up to them having something like a friendship. Meanwhile, we have a quiet voice whispering in Hal's head every now and then for the entire movie (we have have Ryan Reynolds voice it so the audience just assumes it's his own self-doubt inner monologue), telling him he's not good enough, and that he's going to fail, and just generally trying to make him afraid. His arc in the film is that he overcomes this "great fear". Then they beat whatever the threat for the movie is, but it's a close victory, and Sinestro is rattled ("What happens next time when something stronger comes along?"). Cue a cut to Sinestro's point-of-view, where we hear a similar voice in his head whispering that he won't be able to protect Korugar, that he'll be forced to watch Hal Jordan die just like Abin Sur died, that the Green Lanterns aren't strong enough to do what actually needs to be done to protect the universe. Then end the movie on him forging the yellow ring, and hear the whispering voice laughing, because of course it's Parallax.

Then the third movie skips ahead a bit in time, and Sinestro has recruited the Sinestro Corps, so the whole movie is a huge fight between Green Lanterns and Sinestro Corps, and Hal isn't just trying to beat them physically, he's also trying to reason with Sinestro, trying to win him back to the good side, trying to convince him to reject fear in favor of will. So you wind up ending your epic trilogy with the fights that wowed the s*** out of comic book readers because it had been building for years and wasn't hotshotted into the first couple issues of the book.

Also, never use Hector Hammond, because Hector Hammond is and has always been a s*** character.

Then, if that works and you have a wild success, and Ryan Reynolds is willing to do more movies (or you're willing to recast him with John/Guy/Kyle/Simon/etc), you can start a new movie/trilogy with the build up to the prophecy and the War of Light, bringing in Larfleeze, Star Sapphire, the hope and compassion lanterns, and Atrocitus (who we can show escaping in the third movie, during the war between green and yellow) forging his red lantern. Possibly with a bad ass threat thanking Sinestro for "showing him the way" and mentioning that he'll return "ready to destroy both corps".

Blackest Night would probably be impossible to do on screen, especially without a functioning shared universe.

User Info: mooreandrew58

mooreandrew58
1 month ago#287
WhiskeyDisk posted...
Zeus posted...

An interesting take on it, and in a vacuum I'd concede the point even if I tend to consider Fury himself as a chaotic neutral with good intentions, but totally willing to go to almost Punisher levels to get what he wants.

However, there are too many instances already in Tom Holland's run as Spidey where the Spidey sense works or doesn't work depending on what the scene demands and I've always interpreted the Spidey Sense as a bit of a causality breaker in keeping Parker half a second ahead of the script normally when it is on point and if we're being entirely literal, his entire nervous system would have to learn to adapt to having an almost Schrodinger's Cat level of permanent Activation Syndrome/PTSD to handle the level of sensory overload it would produce.

I would argue that out of his entire skillset, it's his most defining and unique skill as a character and it's jarring to see this version of Spidey so inconsistent about it's threshold.

I'm not saying that I dislike Holland's portrayal of a young Parker, but the writing needs to make a stand on how Spidey Sense functions without that Iron Spider version playing half of it off as an AI Deus ex machina when they've also shown instances of organic Spidey Sense at play.

I've seen it be inconsistent in comics as well. I don't read much marvel though but I have read a comic where Deadpool killed Peter Parker simply by knocking on his door and shooting him once he opened it.

Is it because Deadpool is hard to get a read on? Because him and Spiderman are sorta kinda friends?
Cid- "looks like that overgrown lobster just got served!" Bartz-"with cheese biscuts AND mashed potatoes!"

User Info: WhiskeyDisk

WhiskeyDisk
1 month ago#288
Deadpool gonna Deadpool is what I'd write that off to. I could theorize something something 4th wall breaks interfere with Spidey sense something something, but really him being such a wild card on the best of panels means he doesn't exactly adhere to in universe logic around anyone really.
http://i.imgur.com/4fmtLFt.gif
http://s1.zetaboards.com/sba/ ~there's always free cheese in a mousetrap.
WhiskeyDisk posted...
Deadpool gonna Deadpool is what I'd write that off to. I could theorize something something 4th wall breaks interfere with Spidey sense something something, but really him being such a wild card on the best of panels means he doesn't exactly adhere to in universe logic around anyone really.

I'd also assume it was in a non-canon book, for obvious reasons. And those tend to play a lot faster and looser with the rules.

Hell, the What If? series is basically "How can we destroy the entire universe/kill pretty much everyone in 22 pages worth of story, based on changing a single detail?" Some of their stretches to pay off on the premise border on completely ridiculous.

User Info: Entity13

Entity13
1 month ago#290
So Blue Mage came out in FFXIV, and I managed to get it to cap on my main character (Aster) without really playing the job. That was a fine way to close out my current sub time. I was also going to make my alt character (The'aster Bunny) now and change her to Viera for free when the race comes out in 5.0, but the server I'm on is too congested at the moment and will b until after the sub runs out. Ah well, I'll have to do that when I get back into the game.

Now to get back to work on other projects, including more effort in finding a new job.
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb179/EntityXIII/entityfn7.jpg