You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.

User Info: Zeus

Zeus
1 month ago#251
Wiki-walking again >_>

I always kinda assumed that catpeople had mythology behind them, but haven't been able to find much.
(\/)(\/)|-|
There are precious few at ease / With moral ambiguities / So we act as though they don't exist.
Zeus posted...
Wiki-walking again >_>

I always kinda assumed that catpeople had mythology behind them, but haven't been able to find much.

As in anime catgirls? That mostly stems from the idea of yōkai, and is sort of an outgrowth of kitsune, just swapping out the fox for a cat.

"Wall of Text'D!" --- oldskoolplayr76
"POwned again." --- blight family

User Info: Entity13

Entity13
1 month ago#253
Tales of Vesperia ; Definitive Edition is out now. I'm grabbing it on the PS4 to finally support the game like I intended years ago, now that an English version isn't locked to a system I will never buy.
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb179/EntityXIII/entityfn7.jpg

User Info: I_Abibde

I_Abibde
1 month ago#254
Acquired Vesperia here, too. Tales is one of those series I keep supporting despite the occasional eye-rolling entry (e.g. the GBA version of Phantasia), but Vesperia is one of the highlights. Also getting back into Blaz Blue and Guilty Gear despite the layer of rust on my fighting game skills (i.e. the reason I signed up for Game FAQs in the first place).

My D&D group will be starting Season 2 of the campaign next week, and I am hoping that the products of two months of brainstorming are going to result in a plot that is a hit with my players. They have been asking me, more than once, when we are going to be starting again, and I take that as a good sign.

Also: On a lark, I hooked up my XBox (the original model), and KOTOR has been calling to me. Might be time to Sith out and have fun.
-- I Abibde / Samuraiter
Laughing at Game FAQs since 2002.

Zeus
1 month ago#255
ParanoidObsessive posted...
Zeus posted...
Wiki-walking again >_>

As in anime catgirls? That mostly stems from the idea of yōkai, and is sort of an outgrowth of kitsune, just swapping out the fox for a cat.

No, not as in the case of human girls with cat ears (who occasionally have cat-like eyes). I mean more cat-like than that. Something closer to the Elders Scrolls' Khajiit or D&D's Catfolk.
(\/)(\/)|-|
There are precious few at ease / With moral ambiguities / So we act as though they don't exist.

Entity13
4 weeks ago#256
Zeus posted...
ParanoidObsessive posted...
Zeus posted...
Wiki-walking again >_>

No, not as in the case of human girls with cat ears (who occasionally have cat-like eyes). I mean more cat-like than that. Something closer to the Elders Scrolls' Khajiit or D&D's Catfolk.

The dangerously furry catfolk? This is conjecture, but perhaps they, along with Lycans, are a relatively recent example of mankind's love for man-beast hybrids, going back to Egyptian and Greek mythologies, and possibly beyond that (and before written history).

Zeus
4 weeks ago#257
Anthros are kind of a staple trope throughout history. A *lot* of mythological creatures are just humans with animal heads and sometimes matching fur. You see minotaurs (and variations thereof) often enough in fantasy despite there only really being one "historical" legend really associated with them and that was a one-off thing.

afaik, lycans aren't a new invention. There were supposedly civilizations of dog or wolf-headed people. Plus that ties into the whole werewolf lore. I can see the history for lycans and minotaur, just not for catfolk. And I was really just wondering if there was any basis for them. (And sure, you kinda have Bastet but I can't think of much else.)

In particular, I'm also wondering about some of the origins for the existing catfolk tropes where they're often given a gypsy-like background and/or an Arabic feel (ie, scimitars and the like)
(\/)(\/)|-|
(edited 4 weeks ago)
It definitely predates Skyrim - ie, there were catfolk cards in Magic: the Gathering back in the mid-90s, and Marvel had a race of cat-people back in the 70s.

I feel like that particular flavor ("Arabic" or "Gypsy" catpeople) goes back to sword and sorcery in general. The sort of Howard variety where it's supposed to take place in a distant past with exotic races and cultures, all of which look and sound suspiciously like modern cultures we're all familiar with today (ie, what early D&D tended to be based on, before it drifted more into epic fantasy). I can't pin down anything off the top of my head, but there were so many pulp fantasy writers back in the 30s and 40s (give or take a couple decades) that I feel like it had to have come out of there.

Conversely, there's the line of thinking Entity mentioned, wherein there was always at least some impetus to make at people cultures reflective of Egypt (for obvious reasons) or African flavored (also for obvious reasons), which could then have drifted into Arabic over time due to blatant similarities.

EDIT: Though that actually reminds me of a related concept - it seems like cat-people are often portrayed as "foreign" to Western culture in some way (or at least "exotic"), while dog or wolf-people, when they're a thing, tend to be much more "us". A lot of times wolf-people are going to be portrayed with more of a German, Norse, or even old Russian sort of flavor, and old-school D&D at one point basically had Arabic cat people and French dog people.

Even in White Wolf's Werewolf game, where they had both werewolf tribes and werecat species, the werecats were very much rooted in Africa and Egypt (which is also Africa, but you know what I mean, sue me), while most of the werewolf tribes were rooted in northern Europe in general, except for a couple token tribes from North America and one from Asia.

Maybe the whole thing ties into the fact that, as dogs were the first species humans ever domesticated, and in some ways the one we seem to have put the most of ourselves into ("man's best friend" and all), we always tend to see dogs (and by proxy, wolves) as being sort of similar to ourselves, but cats have always retained that sort of "alien" and "separate" feel that makes us more likely to paint them as a more exotic, foreign culture because we tend to subconscious see them more as "them" than "us".

(edited 4 weeks ago)

Entity13
4 weeks ago#259
I also sometimes see it as a sign that, deep down, even humans hate humans, or are relatively unattracted to their own race. Add even one or two animal features, or something alien, and suddenly the resulting being is better, but at the same time a target of vitriol because of the human parts. Because humanity. I'm not sure what I can point to for this, however.
Entity13 posted...
deep down, even humans hate humans

I'd argue that's not very deep down!