feeling really beaten down right now, gotta rant

You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Poll of the Day
  3. feeling really beaten down right now, gotta rant

User Info: acesxhigh

acesxhigh
1 week ago#1
just graduated with a CS degree. and i'm finding it really hard to find work. just feel like what's the f***ing point after all this, 5 years and tens of thousands of dollars I am barely employable. and I have good internship experience too. 80% of jobs here are in web dev. oops, didn't learn that in school. was i supposed to be studying the latest Angular React dot js whatever framework in my free time after my senior year programming assignments that I stayed late in the lab every other week to finish? what a f***ing joke. aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah f***!!!!!
http://www.last.fm/user/pr0wnage420

User Info: likehelly

likehelly
1 week ago#2
web development is huge right now
"Nobody uses Google anymore." - DPsx7
https://i.imgur.com/JMnvb4m.png

User Info: Kyuubi4269

Kyuubi4269
1 week ago#3
You're supposed to study employable skills in your own time, your degree just gives you the resources to do that.
Scloud posted...
Its like he wants two things at the same time.

User Info: Joshs Name

Joshs Name
1 week ago#4
do some web dev labs online then put one online and blitz through interviews by going on about how much 'passion' you have to webdev. talk about your transferable skills only.

gl it's not ez
So I was standing still at a stationary store...

User Info: GanglyKhan

GanglyKhan
1 week ago#5
Getting a degree doesn't mean you get a free job, it's just another part of a job application that puts you above other people. It'll be ok, man. There's always openings in the job market for design. Any sort of computer related career will require you to spend extra time staying up to date on multiple things, but you got this, you already got through college, right? Just a little extra work to get there now.

User Info: mooreandrew58

mooreandrew58
1 week ago#6
GanglyKhan posted...
Getting a degree doesn't mean you get a free job, it's just another part of a job application that puts you above other people. It'll be ok, man. There's always openings in the job market for design. Any sort of computer related career will require you to spend extra time staying up to date on multiple things, but you got this, you already got through college, right? Just a little extra work to get there now.

my brother's college actually said they would help with job placement. when he graduated they handed him a paper of local places hiring (none of which his degree applied to)
Cid- "looks like that overgrown lobster just got served!" Bartz-"with cheese biscuts AND mashed potatoes!"

User Info: green dragon

green dragon
1 week ago#7
Dang, sorry to hear that, man. I always thought people with cs degrees were in really high demand
Just because you're trash doesn't mean you can't do great things.
It's called garbage can, not garbage cannot.

User Info: CharlesBronson

CharlesBronson
1 week ago#8
GanglyKhan posted...
Getting a degree doesn't mean you get a free job

exactly right. This is why college is a waste of money. He could have invested that money and got a better rate of return.
The real problem is that the college degree as basically become what the high school degree used to be - the default assumption that draws the line between the people who are going to wind up cleaning out sewers or working in fast food, and everyone else. Almost every worthwhile job pretty much REQUIRES you to have a college degree, but a college degree in and of itself doesn't guarantee you a worthwhile job at all (and it certainly doesn't guarantee you a job that will actually help you pay for the student debt you took on to get the degree in the first place).

Unfortunately, it's a fact of modern life, and won't change without some major sort of educational and occupational reform, but the level of sophistication required to actually FIX the problem is far beyond anything the government is actually capable of (see also, the same reason why health care will never be "fixed" in the US, and why universal health care is just a band-aid slapped on a much larger problem).

I know this isn't really helpful advice (especially if you're an introvert), but all I can really suggest is that you go out of your way to try and network as much as possible, make contacts in the field you want to work in, and start trying to learn more marketable skills on your own. Also, learn how to fancy up (read: lie about) your skills on your resume in order to make yourself a more desireable hire - a lot of jobs will ask for specific experience, but then provide on-the-job training for most of what they actually want anyway.

In the meantime, you're probably going to have to get a job in retail or something else "lower" than what you want just to pay the bills, while you make yourself a more enticing hire for the jobs you DO want. Yes, it sucks, but that's the world we live in, and complaining about it doesn't really change anything.

"Wall of Text'D!" --- oldskoolplayr76
"POwned again." --- blight family

User Info: HagenEx

HagenEx
1 week ago#10
College only gives you a piece of paper granting you a useless title. Learning actual skills and having a vocation is entirely your responsibility and noone elses.
The side of the fence that we climb determines who's afraid
  1. Boards
  2. Poll of the Day
  3. feeling really beaten down right now, gotta rant

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.