A Geektivus For The Rest Of Us

You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Poll of the Day
  3. A Geektivus For The Rest Of Us

User Info: Zeus

Zeus
2 months ago#41
Feliz Navidad, amigos!

Just out of curiosity, for those who occasionally buy Funko's Pop! figures (or similar lines), do you usually take them out of box or just display them in-box? So far I think most of the ones I've unboxed were just ones where the box was damaged (Chernabog and Bumble), although I did remove the Iron Throne from its box. Can't remember if I saved the box afterward.

There are a few where I might get rid of the box because I just don't care that much about the figure or feel that the box adds much value, such as Doomsday. (And, even as a limited edition, I'm not sure that Doomsday would ever have any resale value anyway if I did get rid of him down the road.)
(\/)(\/)|-|
In Zeus We Trust: All Others Pay Cash

User Info: The Wave Master

The Wave Master
2 months ago#42
I love Funko pops.

And no, they do not come our of the box. I did however find a loose Starscream pop, and i kept it on my desk sr work fir years.
We are who we choose to be.

Zeus
1 month ago#43
The Wave Master posted...
I did however find a loose Starscream pop, and i kept it on my desk sr work fir years.

Wait, what? I didn't think Starscream ever had a Pop!, not even the movie version. Are you thinking of Hasbro's Mighty Muggs? If so, that one is pretty damn cool. None of my local retailers ever got it in and I didn't feel like overpaying on ebay for it. I have a bunch of the Muggs I picked up on clearance, mostly Star Wars ones. I *think* I've got all of them in their boxes despite the boxes being a little broken. Grand Moff Tarkin is my fave of the bunch, since he's played by old school horror legend (Amicus, Hammer, etc) Peter Cushing.
(\/)(\/)|-|
A thought that occurred to me today:

Since everyone online has started posting their "Best/Worst of 2017" list-type videos because the year is almost over, there've been quite a few videos talking about how awesome 2017 was for games, and some pointing out all of the terrible things that happened in gaming in 2017 (and some videos that do both).

From your perspective, was 2017 a banner year for gaming, or was it a festering cess-pit of gloom and feces? Are you looking back fondly or with a sense of relief that it's over? And are you filled with optimism for 2018 or a deep, crushing sense of never-ending dread?

"Wall of Text'D!" --- oldskoolplayr76
"POwned again." --- blight family

User Info: Raganork

Raganork
1 month ago#45
ParanoidObsessive posted...
there've been quite a few videos talking about how awesome 2017 was for games

Because it was. I've already sung high praises for the Switch, and I kissed Persona 5 and Nier's ass more than enough earlier this year. There were also other great games sprinkled here and there (Fire Emblem Echoes, MonHun XX and Stories, FFXII Zodiac Age, Tales of Berseria, Nioh) that made this possibly the best year of the current gen gaming cycle.

At the very least, the Switch had such a spectacular showing this year that it leaves me with high hopes for the coming years.

Speaking of great... and by great I mean dogs***... that Stormblood expansion for FFXIV is on sale for $12 already, which says to me that the expansion was a titanic turd, so I guess this wasn't a great year if you're an FFXIV fan ;) *glares at a certain someone*

Zeus
1 month ago#46
2017 was of little interest to me. Other than BotW, I can't think of anything that I'd be really that excited to play and it certainly wasn't enough to get me to run out to buy a Switch yet.
(\/)(\/)|-|

User Info: Entity13

Entity13
1 month ago#47
Zeus posted...
2017 was of little interest to me. Other than BotW, I can't think of anything that I'd be really that excited to play and it certainly wasn't enough to get me to run out to buy a Switch yet.

Yeah, I had gotten BotW for the Wii U, and I currently see nothing exclusive out for the Switch that interests me personally; maybe Mario Odyssey if I was into Mario games at all (which I'm not right now).

The two games from 2017 that did it for me, otherwise, were Resident Evil 7 and NieR: Automata. The latter is a work of gaming art.
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb179/EntityXIII/entityfn7.jpg
Raganork posted...
there've been quite a few videos talking about how awesome 2017 was for games

Because it was.

Ahh, but that's a matter of opinion.

Honestly, for me while there were certainly SOME great games this year (like Horizon: Zero Dawn), I didn't give a single s*** about at least half the games most people were fellating the hell out of (Persona, Cuphead, Nioh, Nier, literally everything on the Switch, etc). Maybe closer to 2/3rds. As is, most of the games I've played this year were at least a few years old (or more), not new releases.

Combined with the fact that a lot of the terrible things that peaked this year (microtransactions and loot boxes, the slow creeping death of single player, etc) were things that absolutely effected me personally (like finally losing all pretense of faith that developers like Bungie or BioWare will ever make a single worthwhile game again), and 2017 was kind of bleak as f*** in my opinion.

I won't really remember 2017 as a great year, and I don't necessarily think that 2018 is going to be all that much better. Though it's nice to see some publishers like EA and Activision apparently getting repeatedly kicked in the dick as some of their s***ty behavior is coming back to haunt them.

"Wall of Text'D!" --- oldskoolplayr76
"POwned again." --- blight family

User Info: Entity13

Entity13
1 month ago#49
Raganork posted...
that Stormblood expansion for FFXIV is on sale for $12 already, which says to me that the expansion was a titanic turd

Except it wasn't. Squeenix just sold so many copies of it during the Summer, and it is now time for Winter sales, so they had no qualms about providing a deal for it. I actually loved the story and dungeons of SB far more than those of Heavensward. Being able to move around freely on Bard again is definitely nice too.

If anything was really s*** about Stormblood, it was the throttling that they did, especially on NA servers, during the Early Access. For 51.5 hours, since about twenty to thirty minutes into Early Access starting, barely anyone was able to get past a single solo instance--maybe ten or so people per minute--that became known as Raubahn Savage. Many people took time off work that weekend to enjoy Early Access, but they ended up frustrated and clicking on the NPC many, many times. It gated far too many people at once. Squeenix first came out and said that everything was running as intended; then, a couple days after the throttling ended and suddenly hundreds of thousands of people were able to practically (or literally) overload the instance servers, they came out again and were like "Oh, yeah, we were totally being DDOS'd, we're sorry." Yeah, that was s***, but all else was good in the expansion so far.

The 24-man raids are based on the story of Tactics, even starting off with Rabanastre (from XII) and a couple of Ivalice's Espers (eg., Mateus). The 8-man raid is Omega forcing us to fight major bosses from previous FF titles in which Omega had also appeared (Deltascape being the last few bosses of V). The "Trial" raids are about to bring back four bosses from XI (also: doggo mounts that look like Okami). Half of the expansion's story is set in the far east, which gives us VI's Doma so hard that we VI fanatics are left needing to clean up after ourselves. Shirogane opened as a residential zone, and now we're going to be getting even more housing wards across all four of those zones. Kugane is a really nice city to chill, with or without that damn tower everyone has to try at least once to climb. Endgame maps are enjoyable, complete with two versions of a randomized treasure-hunting dungeon, if luck-based content strikes your fancy at all. Outfit glamours and housing designs are good, and only getting better with more and more things constantly coming out. And then Hildibrand is coming back with another story, hopefully better than the Heavensward one. Then there are the relics, which have been delayed over and again (so far to 4.25), which are supposed to accompany the release of an amusement park type of zone called Eureka, AND are supposed to include relic armor in addition to the weapons.
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb179/EntityXIII/entityfn7.jpg
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: Raganork

Raganork
1 month ago#50
Ahh, but that's a matter of opinion.

Funny. You're the last person I'd expect to pull the "that's just your opinion" card. Of course it is. I hate that I'm expected to stipulate that in almost every post nowadays. Why can't it just be assumed without pointing it out?

Sorry if this is coming across as angry, but it's just frustrating that I can't go a single day without somebody on the internet decrying "that's just your opinion." Yes, it's an opinion, and these are letters that are being strung together to create words, which in turn create the sentences that comprise my posts. No need to remind me that I'm sharing my thoughts with others on the internet; I already know.

/passiveaggressive

To respond to your post, the reason why I think this was a great year was because I greatly enjoy the games Japan has been pumping out, while Western devs have been boring me lately, and you're the polar opposite (like Western games, not so much Japanese). I know I'm throwing a blanket here, but people that aren't fans of jRPGs probably didn't think much of this year.
  1. Boards
  2. Poll of the Day
  3. A Geektivus For The Rest Of Us

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.