A Geektivus For The Rest Of Us

You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Poll of the Day
  3. A Geektivus For The Rest Of Us

User Info: shadowsword87

shadowsword87
1 month ago#311
Also, speaking of Pathfinder 2e is apparently coming out, which I will call D&D 3.0 Edition 4 Edition.

I will also only think of the mechanics of the game as LARP mechanics, rock paper scissors for all!
ImmortalityV, "I would like to kiss Icoyar to be honest in a non gay way though"
shadowsword87 posted...
Pathfinder is an incredibly powerful tool that can be used to create intricate mechanics to match with a story, if that's what you are looking for. I'm not looking for that for 95% of my games, I only used PF once, and that was because I did want to have a more detail orientated game (it was for my IRL group who were playing a merchant group in a post-apocalyptic heavily magic world), it didn't go through because I was moving, but still the point stands. I honestly don't need it for most of everything because I actually agree with you on some parts about mechanics, if they don't add to the story then they shouldn't be there.

I remembered during nudo's game someone was pushing for Pathfinder over 4e or even 3e. My withered old person brain was telling me it was you, but it might have been Knives.

shadowsword87 posted...
I have a sort of revulsion towards the "you like scifi, so that means you like X"

Well, to be fair, that wasn't the case here. It was more like, "you like sci-fi, as such, do you like X?" The first makes assumptions, but the latter is merely asking questions.

shadowsword87 posted...
when I actually really like is the stories that scifi can tell (man changing technology vs technology changing man, what does it mean to be human/sentient, solving a physical problem non-violently, what does it feel like being a cog in a machine, and those things) but that doesn't mean I like all scifi stories.

Yes, that is all literally sci-fi. Moreso than what most modern people seem to believe the term actually means.

But I also don't think most people would make the assertion "you like X, therefore you must love all of X" (which is yet a third different premise than the previous two). I think most people understand you can enjoy a specific genre to some degree without loving every single possible entry within said genre.

Hell, I'd say fantasy probably rates as my primary fiction genre, yet I probably spend more time ranting about the fantasy I hate than I do praising fantasy I love.

And, I mean, even on the topic of D&D and Pathfinder as the narrowest of focuses, I've mentioned before that I kind of like Faerun, Mystara, and the Nentir Vale as fantasy settings while being somewhat colder on Greyhawk, and actively disliking Eberron and Pathfinder's settings.

If anything, that's part of why I asked how you felt about Starfinder rather than just assuming you loved it.

"Wall of Text'D!" --- oldskoolplayr76
"POwned again." --- blight family
shadowsword87 posted...
Show me some action scene of spaceships shooting lasers at each other, and show me a seafaring ship shooting cannons at each other, and I would honestly prefer the seafaring ship.

Or you could split the difference and play Spelljammer.

Or play Mage: the Ascension as a Son of Ether and do all of the above.

Realistically, though, I don't think fantasy and sci-fi are mutually exclusive. I do think it's nearly impossible to write a story that balances both elements in perfect harmony because the entire purpose of each genre is sort of diametrically opposed to the other (which is why Star Wars isn't sci-fi, damn it), but at the same time, I think it's perfectly possible for a PERSON to enjoy both genres non-exclusively. I definitely lean more towards the fantasy side, but I also enjoy a nice thoughtful sci-fi excursion (especially the more cynical futurist takes), and I've read and enjoyed a LOT of Asimov over the years. And there are plenty of films that are blatant sci-fi (as opposed to "fantasy in space" or "action in space" or "adventure via time travel" and so on) that I quite enjoy.

Going back to Spelljammer, though, that might actually touch on that idea as a pretty good example - Spelljammer feels like outer space hijinks for players who love fantasy, while Planescape is pretty much the exact same mechanical functionality except for people who like more sci-fi chocolate in their fantasy peanut butter.

Which might also play a role in why I really kind of like the idea of Spelljammer as a whole while I'm personally kind of ambivalent towards Planescape as a setting. Or it might just be growing up playing Final Fantasy games with massive flying airship galleons.

shadowsword87 posted...
Starfinder is fine. I would never touch it because any stories that I would want to tell would use a different system.

To be fair, a good GM can tell pretty much any story using any system - it may just require slightly more effort on their part.

I won't follow that up by saying that a truly great GM can tell fantastic stories without using any system at all, but we both know I'm thinking it.

"Wall of Text'D!" --- oldskoolplayr76
"POwned again." --- blight family
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: Zeus

Zeus
1 month ago#314
ParanoidObsessive posted...
Or you could split the difference and play Spelljammer.

https://media.giphy.com/media/3NtY188QaxDdC/giphy.gif

Probably my fave p&p that I never even tried playing. I think I still some of the books or whatever somewhere.

(which is why Star Wars isn't sci-fi, damn it),

https://i.imgur.com/on8CCCS.gif

Or it might just be growing up playing Final Fantasy games with massive flying airship galleons.

Flying boats and space whales are generally awesome. (Space jellyfish, however, are pretty scary... and space starfish.)

(Also completely unrelated but you can never go wrong with sharks in space.)

https://i.imgur.com/n516T6h.jpg
(\/)(\/)|-|
There are precious few at ease / With moral ambiguities / So we act as though they don't exist.

User Info: I_Abibde

I_Abibde
1 month ago#315
+1 for Spelljammer. Underrated, and I wish more had been done with it as a setting. One of my favorite boxed sets, though it is looking a little beat up nowadays.

shadowsword87 posted...
Also, speaking of Pathfinder 2e is apparently coming out, which I will call D&D 3.0 Edition 4 Edition.

... that sound you hear is my stomach going into my shoes as I look at the stack of standard Pathfinder books next to me ...

Why you do this, Paizo?! *facepalm* I need to find details.
-- I Abibde / Samuraiter
Laughing at Game FAQs since 2002.

shadowsword87
1 month ago#316
I_Abibde posted...
Why you do this, Paizo?! *facepalm* I need to find details.

http://www.enworld.org/forum/content.php?5024-Paizo-Announced-Pathfinder-2nd-Edition!
http://paizo.com/pathfinderplaytest/faq#v5748eaic9wf4
ImmortalityV, "I would like to kiss Icoyar to be honest in a non gay way though"

Zeus
1 month ago#317
Started watching The Defenders last night, which has been a major letdown on every front. The first episode and a half so far have been jumping between five separate story threads (one for each Defender, plus another for Sigourney Weaver's character) at a pace that might give me whiplash. Even more annoyingly, it glossed over some of the big semi-cliffhangers from the ends of the individual seasons (such as Karen's reaction to Matt revealing that he's DD and, less significantly, Luke Cage just leaving prison -- I'm going to be all kinds of pissed if DD s3 doesn't either pick up or flashback to the reveal since that's not the kind of s*** you just gloss over).

A large part of that is likely due to the sheer stupidity of not building the set-up to some extent *directly* into any of the four shows so instead of pairing at least two characters right off the bat we have all four acting separately. Plus there's a LOT of build for a 8-episode season. The first episode is mostly shadowy conspiracy/intrigue leading up to the "earthquake"

That said, I really should have waited to start it until *this* weekend so I could have just binged the episodes straight. On the plus side, seeing Jess and Trisha together again has got me a little hyped for JJ s2 which, assuming I finish the Defenders by the weekend, I'll likely binge then.
(\/)(\/)|-|
There are precious few at ease / With moral ambiguities / So we act as though they don't exist.

User Info: I_Abibde

I_Abibde
1 month ago#318
Thank you for the links, Shadow. *reads* If Paizo makes a real effort towards backwards compatibility with all of the supplements it has released for original Pathfinder, I will be happy, but I still do not think this reboot is necessary. The whole appeal of PF is being the "perfect" 3rd Edition (i.e. 3.5, 3.75, etc.) for players not turned on by 4th Edition. This new version looks like PF-meets-5E in terms of design philosophy.
-- I Abibde / Samuraiter
Laughing at Game FAQs since 2002.

shadowsword87
1 month ago#319
I_Abibde posted...
Thank you for the links, Shadow. *reads* If Paizo makes a real effort towards backwards compatibility with all of the supplements it has released for original Pathfinder, I will be happy, but I still do not think this reboot is necessary. The whole appeal of PF is being the "perfect" 3rd Edition (i.e. 3.5, 3.75, etc.) for players not turned on by 4th Edition. This new version looks like PF-meets-5E in terms of design philosophy.

We also know literally nothing about PF 2, the mechanics could be anything. Every time a new edition comes out for every game it's a constant "we're making character generation easier with more options available!" so I'm going to honestly ignore all of that.

Also, you can only do so much with an RPG before you just run out of stuff to do, at least creatively if not mechanically. So new editions just makes sense.

Zeus
1 month ago#320
Wound up finishing the Defenders. It was choppy and disjointed at the beginning and the end, although the middle was pretty good for a while. I don't get the praise for Sigourney's character, as she seemed like a mess of bad cliches and her performance of those cliches was nothing special. She also had that hilariously bad fight scene with Elektra, which looked like it was in slo-mo. The fights at the end were also a mess.

Didn't much care for Daredevil's portrayal in it, but everybody else seemed alright. I enjoyed the contrast between fighting styles at times, including Jess complaining that she must be the only person in NY who doesn't know martial arts (or she might have said kung fu?).

And again, for an 8-episode series/season, there was *way* too much junk. On the plus side, the fact it was super short means I *can* binge Jess Jones this weekend.
(\/)(\/)|-|
  1. Boards
  2. Poll of the Day
  3. A Geektivus For The Rest Of Us

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.