A Geektivus For The Rest Of Us

You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Poll of the Day
  3. A Geektivus For The Rest Of Us

User Info: Zeus

Zeus
1 month ago#301
Iron Fist is shaping up to be pretty enjoyable so far, which is surprising given how much s*** the series got -- although part of that was probably motivated by SJWs who were mad that a white man was playing the part of a white man (and, if they bothered learning anything about the source material afterward, fell back on their "white excellence" complaint).

Granted, one thing that really bugs me (besides the writing for Ward) is that the close-captions kinda gave s*** away. Back when a Hand representative was talking to Harold, the caption read "[Gao]".... something which I *assume* was meant to be a bigger reveal because Madame Gao is shown on-screen for the first time several episodes later. Granted, I'm not sure I would have recognized her at a glance, but I remembered her name from Daredevil.

Otherwise when Jeri first appeared, I didn't really recognize her (although she was also nicer than in Jessica Jones) and didn't make the connection until *maybe* I heard the law firm mentioned.

The biggest thing I don't like about the show is the silly amounts of choreography during the fight scenes. It often looks fake as s*** and I sometimes have a hard time following what's happening.
(\/)(\/)|-|
There are precious few at ease / With moral ambiguities / So we act as though they don't exist.
Zeus posted...
The biggest thing I don't like about the show is the silly amounts of choreography during the fight scenes. It often looks fake as s*** and I sometimes have a hard time following what's happening.

That's what happens when you cast a meh actor from Game of Thrones for the recognition value and then try to teach him martial arts in the month or two you have before you start filming, rather than deliberately looking for a solid actor who also has a strong grasp of fight choreography from the start.

Granted, I'm not talking Power Rangers levels of casting where everyone's apparently a martial artist or gymnast but can only barely borderline act, but I refuse to accept the premise that they couldn't find a single actor who didn't have more experience (both with martial arts and acting) than "Ser Loras" did.

"Wall of Text'D!" --- oldskoolplayr76
"POwned again." --- blight family

User Info: The Wave Master

The Wave Master
1 month ago#303
The tradition continues!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dSpOjj4YD8c
We are who we choose to be.

Zeus
1 month ago#304
ParanoidObsessive posted...
Zeus posted...

That's what happens when you cast a meh actor from Game of Thrones for the recognition value and then try to teach him martial arts in the month or two you have before you start filming, rather than deliberately looking for a solid actor who also has a strong grasp of fight choreography from the start.

Granted, I'm not talking Power Rangers levels of casting where everyone's apparently a martial artist or gymnast but can only barely borderline act, but I refuse to accept the premise that they couldn't find a single actor who didn't have more experience (both with martial arts and acting) than "Ser Loras" did.

Oh f***, is that who that is? I didn't recognize him, maybe the beard threw me. (Then again, I've never been great with faces.)

Granted, my issue is less about individual performance but instead the unnecessarily elaborate nature of the routines. It's the same reason why I've never been able to get into the lucha style of wrestling, you can clearly see some cooperation between fighters so it's closer to dancing than fighting (and no, not in the flatteringly metaphorical way where actual fighting is made to sound beautiful)
(\/)(\/)|-|
There are precious few at ease / With moral ambiguities / So we act as though they don't exist.
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: CyborgSage00x0

CyborgSage00x0
1 month ago#305
Iron Fist is the only entry from the 4 and Defenders I haven't seen. Oh, and I guess if The Punisher counts.
PotD's resident Film Expert.

The Wave Master
1 month ago#306
Iron Fist is terrible. Hopefully I can save you 13 hours of your life.

Zeus
1 month ago#307
The Wave Master posted...
Iron Fist is terrible. Hopefully I can save you 13 hours of your life.

>_>

Not sure if you missed my other posts, but so far (watching the last episode now) Iron Fist has been my second-favorite of NFI's Marvel shows. (Although Jessica Jones is generally a *better* show, its grimdark nonsense and Jessica's toxicity kinda killed a lot of the fun.)

The only real disappointment so far has been Luke Cage, although I enjoyed parts of it like the homages to his old outfit.

CyborgSage00x0 posted...
Iron Fist is the only entry from the 4 and Defenders I haven't seen. Oh, and I guess if The Punisher counts.

Haven't seen Punisher either but not hugely looking forward to it after DD s2.
(\/)(\/)|-|
(edited 1 month ago)

The Wave Master
1 month ago#308
I finally saw Black Panther. It was great. I loved every minute of the movie.

Did anyone else watch it, or have a different opinion?
Quick offhanded question for Shadow - since I know you like Pathfinder, and I know you like sci-fi in your RPG, what do you think of Starfinder?

"Wall of Text'D!" --- oldskoolplayr76
"POwned again." --- blight family

User Info: shadowsword87

shadowsword87
1 month ago#310
ParanoidObsessive posted...
Quick offhanded question for Shadow - since I know you like Pathfinder, and I know you like sci-fi in your RPG, what do you think of Starfinder?

Woah there, let's take this one step at a time.

1. Pathfinder is an incredibly powerful tool that can be used to create intricate mechanics to match with a story, if that's what you are looking for. I'm not looking for that for 95% of my games, I only used PF once, and that was because I did want to have a more detail orientated game (it was for my IRL group who were playing a merchant group in a post-apocalyptic heavily magic world), it didn't go through because I was moving, but still the point stands. I honestly don't need it for most of everything because I actually agree with you on some parts about mechanics, if they don't add to the story then they shouldn't be there.

2. I have a sort of revulsion towards the "you like scifi, so that means you like X" when I actually really like is the stories that scifi can tell (man changing technology vs technology changing man, what does it mean to be human/sentient, solving a physical problem non-violently, what does it feel like being a cog in a machine, and those things) but that doesn't mean I like all scifi stories. Show me some action scene of spaceships shooting lasers at each other, and show me a seafaring ship shooting cannons at each other, and I would honestly prefer the seafaring ship.

3. Starfinder is fine. I would never touch it because any stories that I would want to tell would use a different system. Maybe if I wanted to do a more over the top early Star Trek game, but I also don't like that... so whatever. There's just something better that I would use, Eclipse Phase, Fantasy Flight Star Wars, FATE, or some One Roll Engine game.
ImmortalityV, "I would like to kiss Icoyar to be honest in a non gay way though"
  1. Boards
  2. Poll of the Day
  3. A Geektivus For The Rest Of Us

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.