A Geektivus For The Rest Of Us

You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Poll of the Day
  3. A Geektivus For The Rest Of Us

User Info: shadowsword87

shadowsword87
4 months ago#131
Also these kids are out having lipstick parties!

Ugh, kids these days with their "humor".

Thank god you never did anything stupid as a teenager, along with anybody you knew ever, right? Every single one of you was perfect.
(edited 4 months ago)

User Info: Zeus

Zeus
4 months ago#132
Finally saw the latest Pirates of the Caribbean and... good lord that was awful. The movie ran way too long, the plot was unnecessarily convoluted to fit in an overly large cast, the editing was choppy to the point of incoherence (and might have even included just downright sloppy omissions, such as when Carina mentions to Henry the plot point about his dad which I can't remember him ever telling her)

Carina, the female lead, alternates between being insufferably obnoxious and adorable. The film seems to virtue-signal to feminists up and down the block with the character, between making her overly educated yet branded a witch (the patriarchy!), repeatedly giving her a soapbox to complain about men/male society, and always letting her get the last word.

Salazar, who is kinda neat, seems to just be there to give the film a villain. He's probably the weakest inclusion so far. His backstory is meh, particularly given that they play up this big connection with Jack Sparrow yet they meet once and it consists of a trick. And, despite supposedly giving him his nickname, there's no way he could have known Jack's name at that moment. Of course, giving the film the benefit of the doubt, maybe he just yelled Sparrow *then* found out about Jack via the wanted poster or earlier mechanism. And, of course, Jack getting the compass was underwhelming.

In general, the whole cursed-ghostly-captain-and-crew feels like a retread of the first film but at least Barbossa made the whole thing interesting. The only thing Salazar has going for him is the kinda cool mannerisms and the accent.

Speaking of Barbossa, wtf was up with his storyline? In addition to the extremely choppy introduction and subsequent meeting which puts him on his quest, he felt all over the place. Plus we have the ending where first we learn he has a tattoo on his arm honoring his daughter -- why, if that was just a book (unless he lied about it and wanted her to use it) -- and then we have his completely pointless heroic sacrifice which didn't seem to have that much benefit and potentially could have missed. If this writes him out, I'm going to be pissed. I would have much rather the movie excluded him entirely and brought him back down the road.

And, as far as franchises go, Pirates is extremely shaky. Film 3 had the post-credits scene where Will was set free from the Dutchman's curse which more or less kills the premise of this film. Then *this* one has a nonsensical post-credits scene where Davy Jones or another sea-mutant shows up in a was-it-or-wasn't-it-a-dream sequence *despite* the fact his curse should have been lifted regardless. Oh, and speaking of curses, why did Salazar and his men come back to life when Poseidon's Trident broke? They weren't merely "cursed," they were killed *then* cursed to remain. Breaking the curse should have just ended them

In general, Jack Sparrow has increasingly become my least-favorite part of the franchise given the way he's shoehorned into these stories (more literally in the case of Stranger Tides) and his antics are kinda played out.

And, of course, while I complain about this film, I still wound up watching it and not turning it off so it's likely I'll watch the next one as well.

The Wave Master posted...
Maybe I am not hip anymore, but when I was kid we never ate freaking washing detergent for fun.

What?
(\/)(\/)|-|
There are precious few at ease / With moral ambiguities / So we act as though they don't exist.

User Info: WhiskeyDisk

WhiskeyDisk
4 months ago#133
Zeus posted...
Finally saw the latest Pirates of the Caribbean and... good lord that was awful. The movie ran way too long, the plot was unnecessarily convoluted to fit in an overly large cast, the editing was choppy to the point of incoherence (and might have even included just downright sloppy omissions, such as when Carina mentions to Henry the plot point about his dad which I can't remember him ever telling her)

Carina, the female lead, alternates between being insufferably obnoxious and adorable. The film seems to virtue-signal to feminists up and down the block with the character, between making her overly educated yet branded a witch (the patriarchy!), repeatedly giving her a soapbox to complain about men/male society, and always letting her get the last word.

Salazar, who is kinda neat, seems to just be there to give the film a villain. He's probably the weakest inclusion so far. His backstory is meh, particularly given that they play up this big connection with Jack Sparrow yet they meet once and it consists of a trick. And, despite supposedly giving him his nickname, there's no way he could have known Jack's name at that moment. Of course, giving the film the benefit of the doubt, maybe he just yelled Sparrow *then* found out about Jack via the wanted poster or earlier mechanism. And, of course, Jack getting the compass was underwhelming.

In general, the whole cursed-ghostly-captain-and-crew feels like a retread of the first film but at least Barbossa made the whole thing interesting. The only thing Salazar has going for him is the kinda cool mannerisms and the accent.

Speaking of Barbossa, wtf was up with his storyline? In addition to the extremely choppy introduction and subsequent meeting which puts him on his quest, he felt all over the place. Plus we have the ending where first we learn he has a tattoo on his arm honoring his daughter -- why, if that was just a book (unless he lied about it and wanted her to use it) -- and then we have his completely pointless heroic sacrifice which didn't seem to have that much benefit and potentially could have missed. If this writes him out, I'm going to be pissed. I would have much rather the movie excluded him entirely and brought him back down the road.

And, as far as franchises go, Pirates is extremely shaky. Film 3 had the post-credits scene where Will was set free from the Dutchman's curse which more or less kills the premise of this film. Then *this* one has a nonsensical post-credits scene where Davy Jones or another sea-mutant shows up in a was-it-or-wasn't-it-a-dream sequence *despite* the fact his curse should have been lifted regardless. Oh, and speaking of curses, why did Salazar and his men come back to life when Poseidon's Trident broke? They weren't merely "cursed," they were killed *then* cursed to remain. Breaking the curse should have just ended them

In general, Jack Sparrow has increasingly become my least-favorite part of the franchise given the way he's shoehorned into these stories (more literally in the case of Stranger Tides) and his antics are kinda played out.

And, of course, while I complain about this film, I still wound up watching it and not turning it off so it's likely I'll watch the next one as well.

Maybe I am not hip anymore, but when I was kid we never ate freaking washing detergent for fun.

What?

I almost miss the serenity of a pre-youtube, pre-twitter world. Stupid local fads stayed just that. Stupid and local, not getting Nationwide attention and notariety overnight.
http://i.imgur.com/4fmtLFt.gif
http://s1.zetaboards.com/sba/ ~there's always free cheese in a mousetrap.

User Info: WhiskeyDisk

WhiskeyDisk
4 months ago#134
I don't know why it quoted that whole pirates post but I'm not fixing that mess.
http://i.imgur.com/4fmtLFt.gif
http://s1.zetaboards.com/sba/ ~there's always free cheese in a mousetrap.

Zeus
4 months ago#135
WhiskeyDisk posted...
I don't know why it quoted that whole pirates post but I'm not fixing that mess.

>_>

You also didn't really clarify what you were talking about. Did somebody post themselves doing that on social media or something?
(\/)(\/)|-|
There are precious few at ease / With moral ambiguities / So we act as though they don't exist.

User Info: The Wave Master

The Wave Master
4 months ago#136
Of course we did stupid things when we were kids. I saw idiots snort dry kool aid, but that stuff is not meant to clean clothes. That stuff is edible, barely. I ate dirt freely when I was a kid. I was like 5, but dirt tasted good. Until I has deli meat, and I moved on, because I was 5 not 15.

I'm freely admitting I'm turning into an old grumpy man, but I'm going to mock kids for eating poisonous detergent.

As for Pirates. I was never Into the franchise, but it should have stopped when Gore Verbinski left the franchise.
We are who we choose to be.

Zeus
4 months ago#137
Because you never really answered the question, I finally just googled it.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/tide-pod-challenge-ingesting-detergent-risks/

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/tide-pods-health-warning_us_5a5f478ae4b00a7f171c2926
(The Denver 7 report in the HuffPo article is great. "For children, they're doing.... but for adults who should know better...")

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/opinion/huppke/ct-met-tide-pod-challenge-huppke-20180115-story.html

Not sure how prevalent this s*** actually is, tbh, although they say 50 people have been hospitalized in the past year or two.

Plus found "A beginner’s guide to eating Tide Pods, and other forms of laundry detergent"
https://www.golfdigest.com/story/a-beginners-guide-to-eating-tide-pods-and-other-forms-of-laundry-detergent
(\/)(\/)|-|
(edited 4 months ago)

Zeus
4 months ago#138
TDIL: Ryan Gosling played Hercules in Young Hercules

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfpC-HZC3Cg
(\/)(\/)|-|

User Info: CyborgSage00x0

CyborgSage00x0
4 months ago#139
But we dis not eat Tide Pods on a dare. My God.

I few it as a form of population control. It's a stupid, more dangerous version of the Ice Bucket challenge in a way, but with the added benefit of potentially killing those who try it, which is a net positive in my book.
PotD's resident Film Expert.

User Info: Entity13

Entity13
4 months ago#140
Natural selection at its most grotesque.
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb179/EntityXIII/entityfn7.jpg
  1. Boards
  2. Poll of the Day
  3. A Geektivus For The Rest Of Us

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.