A Geektivus For The Rest Of Us

You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Poll of the Day
  3. A Geektivus For The Rest Of Us

User Info: The Wave Master

The Wave Master
5 months ago#11
I am just feeling a little blue. I lost my wedding band at a theater show last night. Christmas on Ice, and It was fun, but not worth losing a 600 dollar damn wedding ring over. Scarlett wasn't upset at all which made the whole situation worse. This is why I don't wear jewelry or coats. Plus the whole chain snatching thing in the black community.

So, I'm posting this video. It makes me laugh.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0YDo2Ef3Cxw
We are who we choose to be.

User Info: CyborgSage00x0

CyborgSage00x0
5 months ago#12
But man, what an amazing first year for the Switch. Zelda BotW, Mario Odyssey, and Xenoblade 2 aren't just great games; they're the best entries in their respective series. Picking a game of the year is gonna be very tough, especially considering the competition consists of god-tier gems like Nier and Persona 5.

Amazing first 9 months, you mean-it hasn't even been a full year yet! And it's expected to pass the lifetime sales of the Wii U in its first year. A lesson in how to not properly advertise a console for one and all. But yes, the game quality for the first 9 months is impressively good.

Korruptor posted...
I didn't know this until now but yeah Disney just bought a majority of Fox. I guess we will see a reboot of X-Men and Fantastic Four soon.

The deal will take a year minimum to complete, and that's if US regulators don't block it (they very well could). But Stewart, Jackman and Co. are already done with the property, so you'd basically have to hope Fassbender and McAvoy would still be interested at the least.

Alright, so I saw The Last Jedi. Ready to talk about it with spoilers tags with whoever.

My consensus: I liked it way better than TFA, mostly because it didn't completely ape Empire, but I still found it to be riddled with flaws and ultimately frustrating. And with nothing but the climax left in IX, I feel safe to say that this trilogy is a disappointment for me. It's suffering from something I predicted before this all started: That different writers and directors of each film would lead to wildly inconsistent structure and tones, with the films not really building off each other, and picking and choosing what is relevant. I thought each individual scene/arc was pretty strong, as if it was a vignette, and the acting of Hamill and Driver among others really helped me be invested when they were on screen.

But as to the overall plot, and where the story goes from here, I find little that is compelling me to care for all but maybe 2 characters, and I keep wondering where this will all end up, and what the overall point is. And not going to lie, I hated Luke dying. But HOW he died, and why, and the lack of a clear answer to either of those 2 questions, pissed me off more than anything. I can see why Hamill disagreed with what Rian did with the character).

So meh. A stronger movie overall than TFA, with good set pieces and plot points that failed to ultimately build anything of substance, had frustrating or bad answers to big questions, and left many more questions that now need to be answered. I think I would treated it slightly better if I saw it again, and shut my critical fan-brain off more.
PotD's resident Film Expert. Steelers:11-2. Next up: Patriots.

User Info: EvilMegas

EvilMegas
5 months ago#13
Posting to say i still dont like the name. See ya next topic.
Official King of Black People
http://i.imgur.com/Zk3VS3o.jpg http://imgur.com/a/UeQiE

CyborgSage00x0
5 months ago#14
Also, I'll smugly point out that I ended up being correct that The Last Jedi was a dumb and lying name, for the exact reasons I speculated months ago. "I will not be the last Jedi!" Yeah Luke, it was obvious to me that was never going to be the case. 2 titles in a row now that have just sucked.

User Info: Zeus

Zeus
5 months ago#15
CyborgSage00x0 posted...
Also, I'll smugly point out that I ended up being correct that The Last Jedi was a dumb and lying name, for the exact reasons I speculated months ago. "I will not be the last Jedi!" Yeah Luke, it was obvious to me that was never going to be the case. 2 titles in a row now that have just sucked.

My assumption was -- and don't spoil it -- that the title would in fact refer to Rey and Luke would wind up dying or something. Or Luke would be the Last Jedi until he trained Rey. Or other nonsense. Granted, it's hard to believe that only one remains period but... meh
(\/)(\/)|-|
In Zeus We Trust: All Others Pay Cash

CyborgSage00x0
5 months ago#16
Well....(DON'T read this part until you see it, as it will spoil it) ---> That seems like what they wanted to go with , until Luke himself pulls a 180 in the movie and says "I will not be the last Jedi", obviously referring to Rey, and anyone else after her. Up until the end of the movie, it was Luke's plan to be the Last Jedi.

A case could also be made what "Jedi" means. To most people, a Jedi is just the good guys, Light side of the Force, with blue and green lightsabers. But Jedi is actually a particular term, and people that are Force sensitive, and "good", aren't necessarily Jedi. To be a Jedi is to follow a lifestyle, a code, an order, and follow a specific viewpoint in regards to the Force. In that sense, I think that's what the movie was going for and what the title meant...but...*again, spoilers*, the movie does a 180 and implies that Rey will basically follow the original Jedi way anyways, rendering even that take on the title name moot.

User Info: Zeus

Zeus
5 months ago#17
Oh, glancing at the non-spoiler parts, I just remembered that Jedi can be singular or plural as well.
(\/)(\/)|-|
In Zeus We Trust: All Others Pay Cash

User Info: The Wave Master

The Wave Master
5 months ago#18
My wife and a few of my friends really enjoyed the hell out of The Last Jedi.
However, I just think it was a good movie, but not great. There are a lot of flaws in the movie, but there are a lot of good to great parts too.
We are who we choose to be.

User Info: shadowsword87

shadowsword87
5 months ago#19
I stopped caring about the Star War movies when I watched the first 20 minutes of Rogue One.

I'm surprised that I haven't been spoiled yet, not because I'm staying so far away from everything, but everyone's super careful about spoiling it for other people. This was a weird turn I wasn't really expecting.

User Info: WhiskeyDisk

WhiskeyDisk
5 months ago#20
Zeus posted...
Oh, glancing at the non-spoiler parts, I just remembered that Jedi can be singular or plural as well.

Having not seen the film yet myself, let's not forget that even in A New Hope, that Obi Wan's death makes no sense to this day and that that tall Stormtrooper walks headfirst into a door.

Just sayin'
http://i.imgur.com/4fmtLFt.gif
http://s1.zetaboards.com/sba/ ~there's always free cheese in a mousetrap.
(edited 5 months ago)
  1. Boards
  2. Poll of the Day
  3. A Geektivus For The Rest Of Us

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.