• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.

User Info: kant69

kant69
3 months ago#1

Has anybody tried playing around with the (relatively) new Aim Assist Settings (legacy, standard, precision, focusing)?

How do they compare? Do they really affect the way you play? Have the settings improved or harmed your game?

The default (standard?) settings are starting to do my head in. Despite my own attempts to focus on a specific enemy, they seem to drag onto (and divide) my attention or aim when another enemy player gets close to them - so I'll end up fighting the game instead and often lose the fight.

User Info: Vulcan422

Vulcan422
3 months ago#2
Aim assist is trash in all Treyarch games for a variety of reasons.
  1. Treyarch is notorious for having extremely s***ty hit detection.
  2. The majority of COD games since Black Ops 1 run on the most godawful servers known to man: Demonware. These servers have abysmal data sending rates, which combined with the above result in s*** that is commonly complained about, like your bullets somehow completely phasing through the opponent even though you're perfectly tracking them, you somehow magically getting killed even though you successfully hid behind cover, you dying in seemingly one bullet even thought the killcam shows otherwise, and enemies zipping and warping aaround the map well beyond the game's speed cap, especially after dying.
  3. Both of the above combined results in an effect where your aim assist drags along the target's hitbox, but they aren't actually there because the server doesn't recognize that they are beyond the point you see them at yet. This means you have to fight against the aim assist and shoot where they're going instead of where you see them at. You will notice when they die sometimes, that they suddenly warp to the position where they died after you kill them.
  4. In this game specifically, and in more recent CODs but particularly Modern Warfare 2019, Activision has been utilizing a new SBMM system. One that actively favors lower skilled players and actively changes the parameters of the game during a match. Basically, if the game detects you are above their skill level, it will actively work against you to give them an unfair advantage. It's literally cheating on behalf of weaker players for the sake of an "equal experience". This means your bullets may end up passing through enemies, your bullet damage becomes completely randomized, and your aim assist (no matter the setting) will be inaccurate on purpose, sometimes randomly turning off or verring well into negative aim assist.
The default aim assist setting is awful, because it's much too sticky and you feel the effects of the above more often. I switched to Legacy as soon as it was made available since I am used to Modern Warfare and Warzone aim assist. It's not perfect like those games, but it gives you more control and is much less sticky.
SF5: M. Bison, Urien, Seth | T7: Leroy, Kazumi, Dragunov | GBVS: Belial, Beelzebub | GGST: Nagoriyuki, Ky

User Info: Machine1136

Machine1136
3 months ago#3
Vulcan422 posted...
Aim assist is trash in all Treyarch games for a variety of reasons.
1. Treyarch is notorious for having extremely s***ty hit detection.
2. The majority of COD games since Black Ops 1 run on the most godawful servers known to man: Demonware. These servers have abysmal data sending rates, which combined with the above result in s*** that is commonly complained about, like your bullets somehow completely phasing through the opponent even though you're perfectly tracking them, you somehow magically getting killed even though you successfully hid behind cover, you dying in seemingly one bullet even thought the killcam shows otherwise, and enemies zipping and warping aaround the map well beyond the game's speed cap, especially after dying.
3. Both of the above combined results in an effect where your aim assist drags along the target's hitbox, but they aren't actually there because the server doesn't recognize that they are beyond the point you see them at yet. This means you have to fight against the aim assist and shoot where they're going instead of where you see them at. You will notice when they die sometimes, that they suddenly warp to the position where they died after you kill them.
4. In this game specifically, and in more recent CODs but particularly Modern Warfare 2019, Activision has been utilizing a new SBMM system. One that actively favors lower skilled players and actively changes the parameters of the game during a match. Basically, if the game detects you are above their skill level, it will actively work against you to give them an unfair advantage. It's literally cheating on behalf of weaker players for the sake of an "equal experience". This means your bullets may end up passing through enemies, your bullet damage becomes completely randomized, and your aim assist (no matter the setting) will be inaccurate on purpose, sometimes randomly turning off or verring well into negative aim assist.
The default aim assist setting is awful, because it's much too sticky and you feel the effects of the above more often. I switched to Legacy as soon as it was made available since I am used to Modern Warfare and Warzone aim assist. It's not perfect like those games, but it gives you more control and is much less sticky.

How do you not choke on all that BS erupting from you?
NNID, PSN: Machine1136 (I also have a secondary account on PSN, but it's top secret)
ICE - $2B per year toward abusing human rights

Vulcan422
3 months ago#4
Machine1136 posted...
How do you not choke on all that BS erupting from you?
It's not BS, it's the truth. Hard to accept, I know.
SF5: M. Bison, Urien, Seth | T7: Leroy, Kazumi, Dragunov | GBVS: Belial, Beelzebub | GGST: Nagoriyuki, Ky

User Info: Machine1136

Machine1136
2 months ago#5
Vulcan422 posted...
It's not BS, it's the truth. Hard to accept, I know.

The fact that it's all completely made up is what makes it hard to accept.
NNID, PSN: Machine1136 (I also have a secondary account on PSN, but it's top secret)
ICE - $2B per year toward abusing human rights

kant69
2 months ago#6
Anyone want to contribute something meaningful?

User Info: StraydoG

StraydoG
2 months ago#7
kant69 posted...
Anyone want to contribute something meaningful?

Good luck with that dude. This board now is just 1 person posting then people fighting most times.

I cant help though sorry. Left it on the default since thats the way its always been but this video may be of some use to you?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LY900fAVRXk

kant69
2 months ago#8
thanks StraydoG

Vulcan422
2 months ago#9
Default: Black Ops-style aim assist. Classic "magnetic" style of aim assist. Extremely sticky when near enemy's hitbox.

Legacy: Modern Warfare/Warzone style aim assist. A less sticky version of Default that allows for more aim control.

Precision: Disables left-stick AA, but maximizes right-stick AA. Only occurs when aiming directly at the target's hitbox.

Focusing: Same as Precision, but with a slightly bigger window for aim assist to occur.
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A