• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War
  3. Thoughts on the game so far?

User Info: Dooshy

Dooshy
1 month ago#1
Now that the game has been out for almost two weeks I'm curious to hear everyone's opinion on this game. I personally have really been enjoying it, sure there's some stuff I don't like but that's every game. I'm not sure about the scorestreak system. I like it in some ways but dislike it in others and think I would prefer the old way. The maps seem okay except for not really liking Miami and not really liking Cartel for visibility reasons of course but I feel we are able to move around more compared to Modern Warfare. I wish we had more of them too. I do think the core foundation is good overall as someone who didn't really enjoy Modern Warfare because it felt more like Ghosts than MW to me.

User Info: Em_Jay_Dee

Em_Jay_Dee
1 month ago#2
I'm also really enjoying it. The only real complaint is the lack of maps but I know that will be sorted out sooner then later.

User Info: Nordini

Nordini
1 month ago#3
All of my friends have already quit due to SBMM.

I am personally enjoying it because I like the zombies and dead ops. SBMM is more tolerable in combined arms so I am sticking to that. And I like to grind for the weapon camos.

If you took out SBMM then the game is mostly fine. There isn't really any glaring problems except lack of maps and maybe the scorestreak system. Problem is there's nothing exceptional about it either.

Em_Jay_Dee
1 month ago#4
Nordini posted...
All of my friends have already quit due to SBMM.

I am personally enjoying it because I like the zombies and dead ops. SBMM is more tolerable in combined arms so I am sticking to that. And I like to grind for the weapon camos.

If you took out SBMM then the game is mostly fine. There isn't really any glaring problems except lack of maps and maybe the scorestreak system. Problem is there's nothing exceptional about it either.
I'm curious what the problem is with skill based matchmaking? Are good players upset that they don't have noob fodder to make them feel like pros?

User Info: Nordini

Nordini
1 month ago#5
Em_Jay_Dee posted...
I'm curious what the problem is with skill based matchmaking? Are good players upset that they don't have noob fodder to make them feel like pros?

I feel like I've answered this question a thousand times. I know it's not your fault, but it's just exhausting.

To a certain extent, that is actually part of it in the sense that people should feel their progression. If I am in the top 10% of players, then I should feel like I'm in the top 10% of players. I should be better than 90% of my opponents because I have worked to be in the top 10%.

When I started playing Call of Duty, I was absolute trash. I remember going like 2-23 my first couple games. Eventually I got to a place where I was going even, then the next game I was going 1.3, then the next 1.6, etc. until I got to where I am now. I had incentive to work to get better at the game because I wanted to be the one that was on the winning end. I wanted to do what I saw other players doing to me.

In a SBMM environment with no ranks displayed, all of that progression is lost. There is no incentive to get better because you won't feel like you're getting better. The game will just keep putting you against better opponents to keep your winrate at 50%. A person who is in the top 10% will feel the same as someone in the bottom 20%.

All of that is just one reason though. There are many others:

• Weapon variety - This is huge. If you're a high level player in an SBMM environment, you have to use the meta loadout. If you aren't using one of the meta guns (usually only 2 options or so), then you are going to get absolutely steamrolled because your opponents, who are just as good as you, will be using those guns. Without SBMM, you can make up for the fact that you're using a worse gun by having a higher skill level than your opponent. This allows people to mess around and use fun classes and utilize all weapons in the game.
  • Playstyle - SBMM absolutely encourages camping. People acted like Modern Warfare's maps were the reason for the incessant camping, but it's the SBMM. The fact is that if you are in a lobby filled with other people who are just as good as you, then the best and sometimes only way to consistently win a gunfight against them is to secure an advantage of seeing them first by camping. Just like weapon variety, people are forced into these playstyles because they can't make up for a worse positioning with a skill gap over their opponent.
  • Enemy Variety- This is mostly an issue in BR modes. One of the greatest sources of joy is not knowing to take a risk by rushing that next group or hang back. It's very exciting not knowing if that team up on the mountain are bad players that you can afford to rush, or are just as good as you, or are some gods that will crush you if you rush. This provides a healthy variety of opponents and creates a varied experience. Under SBMM, you have to always play the careful route. Rushing up is almost always a bad decision.
  • FRIENDS - This is quite possibly the worst side effect of SBMM. SBMM absolutely destroys the experience of playing with friends. If, like most friend groups, you have some friends that are significantly worse or significantly better than you, you frankly can't have a good experience playing with them under SBMM. The worse players will always get steamrolled because the SBMM is putting them against a full team of opponents that is better than them every game.

User Info: Alexanaxela

Alexanaxela
1 month ago#6
^ damn that's a good explanation. Plus connection gets worse as "skillz" is prioritized over connection
Tomorrow will be the most beautiful day of Raymond K. Hessel's life. His breakfast will taste better than any meal you and I have ever tasted.

Em_Jay_Dee
1 month ago#7
Nordini posted...
I feel like I've answered this question a thousand times. I know it's not your fault, but it's just exhausting.

To a certain extent, that is actually part of it in the sense that people should feel their progression. If I am in the top 10% of players, then I should feel like I'm in the top 10% of players. I should be better than 90% of my opponents because I have worked to be in the top 10%.

When I started playing Call of Duty, I was absolute trash. I remember going like 2-23 my first couple games. Eventually I got to a place where I was going even, then the next game I was going 1.3, then the next 1.6, etc. until I got to where I am now. I had incentive to work to get better at the game because I wanted to be the one that was on the winning end. I wanted to do what I saw other players doing to me.

In a SBMM environment with no ranks displayed, all of that progression is lost. There is no incentive to get better because you won't feel like you're getting better. The game will just keep putting you against better opponents to keep your winrate at 50%. A person who is in the top 10% will feel the same as someone in the bottom 20%.

* Weapon variety - This is huge. If you're a high level player in an SBMM environment, you have to use the meta loadout. If you aren't using one of the meta guns (usually only 2 options or so), then you are going to get absolutely steamrolled because your opponents, who are just as good as you, will be using those guns. Without SBMM, you can make up for the fact that you're using a worse gun by having a higher skill level than your opponent. This allows people to mess around and use fun classes and utilize all weapons in the game.
* Playstyle - SBMM absolutely encourages camping. People acted like Modern Warfare's maps were the reason for the incessant camping, but it's the SBMM. The fact is that if you are in a lobby filled with other people who are just as good as you, then the best and sometimes only way to consistently win a gunfight against them is to secure an advantage of seeing them first by camping. Just like weapon variety, people are forced into these playstyles because they can't make up for a worse positioning with a skill gap over their opponent.
* Enemy Variety- This is mostly an issue in BR modes. One of the greatest sources of joy is not knowing to take a risk by rushing that next group or hang back. It's very exciting not knowing if that team up on the mountain are bad players that you can afford to rush, or are just as good as you, or are some gods that will crush you if you rush. This provides a healthy variety of opponents and creates a varied experience. Under SBMM, you have to always play the careful route. Rushing up is almost always a bad decision.
* FRIENDS - This is quite possibly the worst side effect of SBMM. SBMM absolutely destroys the experience of playing with friends. If, like most friend groups, you have some friends that are significantly worse or significantly better than you, you frankly can't have a good experience playing with them under SBMM. The worse players will always get steamrolled because the SBMM is putting them against a full team of opponents that is better than them every game.
Awesome post and well said. You have some very good points. Particularly the points about weapon and player variety.

But here's where my issue begins. Some players tend to treat cod like a sport yet don't want actual competition. Meaning you've acquired these skills so you feel you should have the luxury of owning all the dumb noobs that dare test your skills.

I mean, if you're playing the game for fun, play the game for fun. Don't focus on the meta and lose the "try hard" attitude and you'll be put into lobbys with lower skilled players.

Because skill based matchmaking makes for a way better experience for players that aren't as good as you. I work full time and play maybe 3 hours of cod a week. I'd rather those 3 hours weren't spent up against players who essentially live in this game. Personally I've been having a much better experience with this game for this very reason and I imagine I'm not alone.

User Info: StraydoG

StraydoG
1 month ago#8
Only picked it up recently so keep in mind of 3 days I've put in maybe 2 hours each day...

Weapons - Could use a little more but quite happy with what there is. Would be nice if snipers and burst guns took a nerf to level things out otherwise I'm seeing a good variety with is nice.

System in general is cool BUT its hard for people like me who just picked it up when everyone has access to pro attachments and perks.

Maps 50/50 - I like ones where you can move around more but the snow map is just too little. I might need to start being a dick and just play it camping like Nuketown cos not into the ADD maps. I see why people dislike Miami, its kind of cool though at the same time. Cartel, Moscow, Garrison are cool. Satellite is kind of stupid, each to their own I guess.

SBMM - I'm not convinced of this yet only because the regular and hardcore players buy the game first so there wont be many noobs hence you will be playing against people that are COD mainstays and are like decent to good or pro.

User Info: Weiland101

Weiland101
1 month ago#9
Nordini posted...

* Weapon variety - This is huge. If you're a high level player in an SBMM environment, you have to use the meta loadout. If you aren't using one of the meta guns (usually only 2 options or so), then you are going to get absolutely steamrolled because your opponents, who are just as good as you, will be using those guns. Without SBMM, you can make up for the fact that you're using a worse gun by having a higher skill level than your opponent. This allows people to mess around and use fun classes and utilize all weapons in the game.
* Playstyle - SBMM absolutely encourages camping. People acted like Modern Warfare's maps were the reason for the incessant camping, but it's the SBMM. The fact is that if you are in a lobby filled with other people who are just as good as you, then the best and sometimes only way to consistently win a gunfight against them is to secure an advantage of seeing them first by camping. Just like weapon variety, people are forced into these playstyles because they can't make up for a worse positioning with a skill gap over their opponent.
* Enemy Variety- This is mostly an issue in BR modes. One of the greatest sources of joy is not knowing to take a risk by rushing that next group or hang back. It's very exciting not knowing if that team up on the mountain are bad players that you can afford to rush, or are just as good as you, or are some gods that will crush you if you rush. This provides a healthy variety of opponents and creates a varied experience. Under SBMM, you have to always play the careful route. Rushing up is almost always a bad decision.
* FRIENDS - This is quite possibly the worst side effect of SBMM. SBMM absolutely destroys the experience of playing with friends. If, like most friend groups, you have some friends that are significantly worse or significantly better than you, you frankly can't have a good experience playing with them under SBMM. The worse players will always get steamrolled because the SBMM is putting them against a full team of opponents that is better than them every game.

What are your thoughts about the rumoured SBMM in this game?

User Info: saber262

saber262
1 month ago#10
I really only have one complaint and its the scorestreak system as it relates to uav. The spamming of uav can get overwhelming even for a player like myself that makes it a priority to shoot scorestreaks down when called. It is the first time in awhile where I have ghost in all my classes.
  1. Boards
  2. Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War
  3. Thoughts on the game so far?
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A