• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.

User Info: Gietzy

Gietzy
1 month ago#41
Machine1136 posted...
Ahh, the old fall back of the shyster - "I mean everything I say, but not literally". If you're going to use a number (twice!), then use a number (twice!) with intent.

However, even if you had not used a number (twice!) and instead just said "a few", I would have still asked you to clarify, and you still would have fallen apart.

Fallen apart? So you think different parts of my anatomy would have become separated from each other due to gravity? That sounds interesting.

I still don’t see what your argument about CoD BOCW SBMM is. What are you actually trying to say about it?
My systems: SNES, GameBoy, Megadrive, PS1, N64, PS2, GCN, PS3, XBox360, Wii, WiiU, PS4, XBOne, Switch, PS5
PSN/XBLive: Willavom

User Info: Machine1136

Machine1136
1 month ago#42
Gietzy posted...
Fallen apart? So you think different parts of my anatomy would have become separated from each other due to gravity? That sounds interesting.

I'm glad you asked for clarification. Of course, I meant that you have fallen apart emotionally, and that your logic has fallen apart. Given that the language I used was qualitative and not quantitative, there was room for misinterpretation.

Gietzy posted...
I still don’t see what your argument about CoD BOCW SBMM is. What are you actually trying to say about it?

Machine1136 posted...
Regardless, at least one difference between then and now is that everyone has been learning CoD for 10 years now - the average player is better than the 10-years-ago average, and the standard deviation has almost certainly tightened, too. This would affect your perception of matchmaking with no underlying change in any algorithm.

NNID, PSN: Machine1136 (I also have a secondary account on PSN, but it's top secret)
ICE - $2B per year toward abusing human rights

Gietzy
1 month ago#43
Okay. What evidence do you have that the player base now is the same one from 10 years ago? What evidence is there that the average player now is better than the average player before? What evidence is there that the standard deviation has tightened? Am I right in thinking your claim is that SBMM is no different now than 10 years ago? Do you have any evidence or is it just your prediction?
My systems: SNES, GameBoy, Megadrive, PS1, N64, PS2, GCN, PS3, XBox360, Wii, WiiU, PS4, XBOne, Switch, PS5

Machine1136
1 month ago#44
Gietzy posted...
What evidence do you have that the player base now is the same one from 10 years ago?

I never made that claim. However, I've been playing now for 10 years, and many here have (or more than 10 years), and the fact that the game has sold 10s of millions every year for those 10 years points toward a pretty solid and continuous player base. Not identical, but significant continuity.

Beyond that, one does not have to play continuously for the past 10 years or more to have been learning CoD - the mechanics today are similar enough to those of many other years that the previous experience readily carries over if one has missed a few installments.

Gietzy posted...
What evidence is there that the average player now is better than the average player before?

Are you better than you were when you first started playing CoD? Is it not fairly well documented that continuous practice improves performance at almost any activity? Is there not a much larger volume, and easier access to, of "performance optimization" information (and equipment) than there was 10 years ago? Thus, because many others have been playing for a while, the average level of play is higher than it was 10 years ago.

Gietzy posted...
What evidence is there that the standard deviation has tightened?

The game mechanics have been stripped down to their simplest level, those basic mechanics have been stable for years now, the maps are often remakes, connections are much more frequently to dedicated servers rather than player hosts - all of these reduce performance variation.
Gietzy posted...
Am I right in thinking your claim is that SBMM is no different now than 10 years ago?

My claim is that there are alternative - and at least equally well-supported - explanations (or major factors) for the perceived state of this game's matchmaking, besides the developers changing underlying algorithms.
NNID, PSN: Machine1136 (I also have a secondary account on PSN, but it's top secret)

Gietzy
1 month ago#45

I see. So it’s one rule for you and a different rule for me? I have to be precise but it’s fine for you to speak in generalities. You say “everyone” has been playing CoD for 10 years but you don’t mean that, you mean “points towards a pretty solid and continuous player base” but you still have no evidence to support either point.

You assert that “the average player is better” but again you have no evidence.

You claim that the maps are often remakes to support your point that the standard deviation is tighter but there are no remakes in this game other than Nuke Town which launched after our discussion began.

It seems like “you have fallen apart emotionally, and that your logic has fallen apart.”

User Info: SeekAndDestroy2

SeekAndDestroy2
1 month ago#46
I'm pretty sure it takes your K/D and W/L and tries to match you with players who have similar stats. I've noticed if you kill it a few matches it always puts you in a sweaty lobby and if you start sucking a few games the SBMM lessens. It's kinda all over the place for average players.

Machine1136
1 month ago#47
Gietzy posted...
You say “everyone” has been playing CoD for 10 years but you don’t mean that,

Yeah, you got me - now, did I fall apart when asked to clarify? No, I just clarified.

Gietzy posted...
but you still have no evidence to support either point.

Logically derived arguments with a factual basis are certainly evidentiary.

Gietzy posted...
You assert that “the average player is better” but again you have no evidence.

Gietzy posted...
You claim that the maps are often remakes to support your point that the standard deviation is tighter but there are no remakes in this game other than Nuke Town which launched after our discussion began.

That was not the only element of that argument.

Gietzy posted...
your logic has fallen apart

You have not rebutted my logic, only erroneously dismissed it as not being evidence.

Gietzy
1 month ago#48
Machine1136 posted...
Yeah, you got me - now, did I fall apart when asked to clarify? No, I just clarified.

That was not the only element of that argument.

You have not rebutted my logic, only erroneously dismissed it as not being evidence.

So the parts you have no evidence for don’t require any evidence because you think it’s obvious (even though it clearly isn’t) and the part of your argument that was just plain wrong doesn’t matter because it was only part of your argument. You should get a job as a scientist.

Machine1136
1 month ago#49
Gietzy posted...
the parts you have no evidence for don’t require any evidence because you think it’s obvious (even though it clearly isn’t)

The facts underlying the logical arguments are evidence.

Gietzy posted...
the part of your argument that was just plain wrong doesn’t matter because it was only part of your argument.

That part of my argument was not plain wrong - this and all of the most recent CoDs has remade maps. If you want to toss that aspect out for this specific version because the number of remade maps is one for now, fine - but the other aspects of that argument stand.

Gietzy
1 month ago#50
Machine1136 posted...
The facts underlying the logical arguments are evidence.

That part of my argument was not plain wrong - this and all of the most recent CoDs has remade maps. If you want to toss that aspect out for this specific version because the number of remade maps is one for now, fine - but the other aspects of that argument stand.

No, old CoDs are irrelevant. This topic is about SBMM in this game. Other games reusing maps is irrelevant to whether this game has stronger SBMM or not.

What facts are there to tell us that the audience of the game is largely the same as its predecessor 10 years ago?
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A