• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Dragon Quest XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age - Definitive Edition
  3. Comparison showing updated graphics...from Switch anyhow.

User Info: behindtheword

behindtheword
3 months ago#1
So this is to showcase that things have been updated, and they've actually managed to fix, what they were initially mucking up. This is the stairs and the slimes when they first appear.

TGS Trailer, released today, PS4/XB/PC Definitive Edition:
https://youtu.be/tXUy6_qqE0k?t=123

PS4/Steam original:
https://youtu.be/ZoFAckE1tZs?t=962

Switch:
https://youtu.be/e4NT_HjvBJU?t=787

It's not quite PS4, but it's DEFINITELY an improvement, and without that horrible white coat of lighter colour on everything. There are a few more comparisons I could make, but I'm in a rush. Suffice to say, they have added back in more foliage, higher res textures, more accurate lighting, and I hope they fixed the light source and shadow issues.

Light source issue on Switch? The game only allows one light source at a time, so when near a different light source, the entire game world changes to that light source. This is most noticeable at night, where when walking near a window, or through a doorway, the outside world will take on the light source of the indoor light.

Shadows? The game doesn't do well with dynamic shadows during sun movement, when there are numerous things to account for, from buildings to people to trees. So it becomes almost liquid like as the sun moves. This is less noticeable when it's at high noon/to of the sky, but is very noticeable near sunset and sunrise. This is probably fixed. It's far more common in handheld mode on Switch, but it does appear a bit here and there in docked. This should be fixed, as it would be a hardware limitation.

The trees in certain shots have a LOT more foliage, and it stands out as a higher res texture. So that's another positive. I don't think they'll use dynamic lighting, but probably to get the game to run as close to 60FPS as they can in normal play, while giving us some updated graphics. Definitely seems like the king's room in Heliodor has some more textures and stuff added back in.
Life can be unexpected. Embrace and prepare for anything.

User Info: exodus2020

exodus2020
3 months ago#2
Thanks for uploading this. I noticed something as well, I don't remember the scene from 1:15 to 1:25 anywhere in my switch version from start to finish.. Did I miss it somewhere? Is this new? Possibly something added?

behindtheword
3 months ago#3
exodus2020 posted...
Thanks for uploading this. I noticed something as well, I don't remember the scene from 1:15 to 1:25 anywhere in my switch version from start to finish.. Did I miss it somewhere? Is this new? Possibly something added?

I think you're right. That doesn't look familiar at all.

behindtheword
3 months ago#4
No, it's not new. It's part of the scene you get if you choose Erik as your companion, then take the walk up the Cobblestone Tor with him.

Would be cool if they did, but then when they initially revealed this, the Japanese site for it specifically stated nothing new would be added.

User Info: exodus2020

exodus2020
3 months ago#5
behindtheword posted...
No, it's not new. It's part of the scene you get if you choose Erik as your companion, then take the walk up the Cobblestone Tor with him.

Would be cool if they did, but then when they initially revealed this, the Japanese site for it specifically stated nothing new would be added.
Ah. Gotcha. That would explain it cause I never picked Erik. I forgot about that part. Thanks for clarifying.

User Info: Tifas_Man

Tifas_Man
3 months ago#6
So the bunny outfit is blue?? I like the original black
PSN: AwesomeAsFozzy
"THAT'S RIGHT!!! RUN YOU B*******!!!! I'M COMING FOR YOU ALL!!!!" - Lara Croft

User Info: Tiael

Tiael
3 months ago#7
Tifas_Man posted...
So the bunny outfit is blue?? I like the original black

There's both, it's a new outfit.
Wakanda Forever! Rest in peace Chadwick Boseman
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/1126-dragon-quest-general

behindtheword
3 months ago#8
Looking back over the FAQ section on the Japanese website https://www.dq11.jp/s/pf/faq/index.html (I can't find the data for the adventurer's starter pack anymore, so I'm unsure if they decided to change it, since Erik's special black wolf outfit wasn't present)...

PS4 Japan will get two things we won't:

1. The original Scrolls system, on top of the new one. So they can start a new game from certain points in the game, I think the same positions as the "mode switch" allows for. Since this is based on the original Japanese DQ1 and 2 password system back on the NES (as they didn't use saves or batteries until DQ3, thanks to Nintendo's treatment of DQ1 in the US), it's very unlikely we won't see that system.
  2. Voice Over Drama's. Extra drama's written and read in Japanese VO's. Similarly to Lost Odyssey's "past" storylines concerning Kaim and the other immortals. This was initially released on Switch, but only in Japan, so it stands to reason this would remain in Japan, as I think they presume it's not popular here, or they don't want to spend to translate the text to other languages, or at least just English, and for sure not spend the extra cash for new VO work (it's a LOT of VO).

What is stated on the site though, is the plan is for the base output to be 1080p for both PS4 and PS4 Pro (since this is for Japan, it means all versions over here). For the PS4 normal, 30fps, for the Pro, 60fps. So that means Xbox and PC versions should default at 60fps for the S and X Xbox releases, and of course the Series X and S (given gamepass). I wonder if PC requirements will also be lowered given the base graphics, textures, and lighting will be a slight downgrade from the original PS4/Steam release? If so that would be very smart, especially if the bar is below Heroes 2 (then I can run it on this laptop).

User Info: Hobbun1

Hobbun1
3 months ago#9
First I think that's great that the PS4 (and Xbox) are going to get 1080p and 60fps (for Pro). But is the reason why we can't have the same graphical level of the original PS4 version, which I believe was 1080p as well, is because they are trying to improve the resolution from the Switch's lower res?

I watched the video, but don't recall any scenes from rock walls (or similar). Do you know if those rocks will be more defined, similar to the original PS4 version, from what you saw recently at TGS? And will backgrounds be more defined in general (from the Switch port)?

I enjoyed the Switch demo, but will have to admit it I did notice the undefined/muddiness at times.

behindtheword
3 months ago#10
Hobbun1 posted...
First I think that's great that the PS4 (and Xbox) are going to get 1080p and 60fps (for Pro). But is the reason why we can't have the same graphical level of the original PS4 version, which I believe was 1080p as well, is because they are trying to improve the resolution from the Switch's lower res?

I watched the video, but don't recall any scenes from rock walls (or similar). Do you know if those rocks will be more defined, similar to the original PS4 version, from what you saw recently at TGS? And will backgrounds be more defined in general (from the Switch port)?

I enjoyed the Switch demo, but will have to admit it I did notice the undefined/muddiness at times.

PS4 original was 900p, but the upscaling is a consistent checkerboard through 1728p (which is why 1080p has almost no issues with the "blur" effect on a Pro, compared to 4k users, where it's TV and general setting dependent), and the rest of the way to 4k is through the PS4's general hardware upscaler:

https://gearnuke.com/dragon-quest-xi-ps4-vs-ps4-pro-difference-detailed/

This version might have consistent upscaling of one format through 4k, but at least the baseline is 1080p instead of 900p.

The rock wall is within a half second of where I stopped at for each video, right before the Slimes appear on the stairs, and you can see rock walls in the background.
  1. Boards
  2. Dragon Quest XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age - Definitive Edition
  3. Comparison showing updated graphics...from Switch anyhow.
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A