• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Crash Bandicoot 4: It's About Time
  3. Why the complaints about difficulty?

User Info: SirBuckford

SirBuckford
4 days ago#1
I can't see how playing through the main campaign (no extra stuff like perfect relics, tapes, time trials, etc.) is more difficult than previous games. You have modern mode which let's you have unlimited lives. If you die a lot at a particular section, the game puts another checkpoint in and also gives you masks to start with. Getting gems isn't even mandatory, which means all you have to do is complete the level.

Now for those complaining about all the optional stuff's difficulty... What did you expect? They're optional for a reason.
"Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves." -C.S. Lewis
(edited 4 days ago)

User Info: Executor15

Executor15
4 days ago#2
I always had around 99 lives, so your Modern Mode argument falls flat. The game showers you with wumpa. The problem is that at one point the platformimg challenges become too annoying. You spend time goimg through one obstacle, then the other, then the other, then the other... yeah I get it, plarformers are like that, but it feels like there is no breathing room. Not to mention the lenght ofa level drags down the experience.

As for collectibles, they went out of their way to make them annoying af to get. Especially the boxes, the way they hide them is straight up evil. N.Verted levels are a super lazy way to pad out thegame and try yo justify the insane 60$ price tag. Honestly, it feels like they made you pay 20$ for the skins packet into the game so bad guy activison doesnt look that bad.

I 100% all the Crash console games since I like Crash, but I dropped this game near the end because this isnt a Crash game in spirit (would honestly rather play Crash of the Titans over this) and because the game felt waaay too annoying to play later on. I like difficult games, souls games are my favorite and I cant wait for Sekiro to be updated, but this game rubs me the wrong way. Traded it for Ghost of Tsushima and I am here mostly to see the sales of the game, watch how "lmao git gud" users dig their own holes and to see if Toys for Bob will respond to the criticism. I hopethis gives you some insight TC.
Don't ask question, just consume product and then get excited for next product.

User Info: SilentSeph

SilentSeph
4 days ago#3
SirBuckford posted...
Now for those complaining about all the optional stuff's difficulty... What did you expect? They're optional for a reason.
In general, this isn't an excuse for something to be badly designed. I like to get the most out of the games I play so it becomes a problem when it's recommended to ignore gems, flashback tapes, relics, etc. because that is a lot of content. The collectables were optional in the previous games and were challenging to get as well without being tedious and unfun.
Delicious and vicious, while maliciously nutritious.

User Info: fretless58

fretless58
4 days ago#4
The fact that the game recommends and is built around playing with infinite lives is precisely the problem. That means they can create as many segments as they want that are just built around trial-and-error bulls***. This and the additional checkpoints being created when you die a lot means that completing the levels isn't really a show of skill, but rather patience. It's an inevitability that you'll beat the level eventually, it's just a matter of hitting your head against a brick wall enough times until it breaks. It's not that the game is too difficult, it's that the difficulty is balanced poorly.
There's also a lot of stuff in the game that is optional but merely tedious to do rather than difficult, like getting all the boxes. The length of the levels combined with the amount of boxes there are makes this into a complete slog. I complete the N. Sane Trilogy and Nitro-Fueled 100%, all platinum relics and developer times, and here I can't even be bothered getting all the crates, which to me is the most basic challenge in any Crash game.
http://fretless94.deviantart.com/
(edited 4 days ago)

SirBuckford
4 days ago#5
I generally have 99 lives at all times as well. I know wumpa is abundant in this game. My point was for those who constantly die - there are mechanics that come into play (free masks, added checkpoints) if you're struggling. Hell, there are multiple sections of various levels I can think of where I died like 10 times before learning the strat, then mastering it.

N. Verted levels aren't padding, unless you consider something like NG+ to be padding. They're completely optional. Not even lazy either considering it's not only mirrored, but other gimmicks come into play. Also important to mention that this game has 38 normal levels not even including boss stages and tapes. The previous Crash games don't even have that many normal levels.
"Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves." -C.S. Lewis
(edited 4 days ago)

fretless58
4 days ago#6
N. Verted levels are totally padding. Just because they're optional doesn't mean they aren't padding, they advertise on the back of the box "over 100 levels", but nearly half of that is just the same levels but mirrored with photoshop filters. Some of them have actual gameplay gimmicks, but some of them don't, some of them really are just filters, and I really don't think mirroring a level and adding a gimmick should really count as a new level.
And of course the original games don't have as many levels, they're over 20 years old and each one was made within a year of the last. I would also rather play them than this. Quality over quantity.
(edited 4 days ago)

User Info: 360pages

360pages
4 days ago#7
I mean, I can get most of the costumes in this game so far with a bit of patience which is all I care about. But as others have said, I feel the lack of lives or the sheer amount of them in retro mode means the developers got sort of sloppy with some of their level design

In past crash games the developers knew that the players might not have more than 5 lives for any given level. So levels most of the time were either short, or designed with a ton of wumpa and lives for the longer levels like Sunset vista in the first game.

The only exception was Stormy Ascent, which was a CUT level.

This game the developers knew they gave the player endless amount of lives meaning they designed the levels as difficult as possible. It's impossible to lose progress now sure, but it doesn't help that the levels are now horribly long slogs. Even casually just going for the wumpa gems the levels feel like they last an extra check point or two longer than they should.

Gamefaqs in a nutshell (http://error1355.com/img/gif/gamefaqscant.gif)
3DS friend code 1161-0910-0692

User Info: Executor15

Executor15
4 days ago#8
SirBuckford posted...
mastering it.
Going through it once isnt mastering, just saying.
SirBuckford posted...
N. Verted levels aren't padding. They're completely optional. Not even lazy either considering it's not only mirrored, but other gimmicks come into play.
They pad out the play time in a lazy way. The only correct statement here is that its optional.

SirBuckford posted...
Also important to mention that this game has 38 normal levels not even including boss stages and tapes.
This is honestly a con for some of us tbh. I'd rather have 76 shorter levels than 38 longer levels. I am glad you are ok with 7h of play for 60$ and putting it on a never-gonna-play-it-again bin, but I'd rather spend that money on anything else. I dont understand the point of this topic. I thought you wanted to know why some people dont like the game? Why defend it all of a sudden?
Don't ask question, just consume product and then get excited for next product.

SirBuckford
4 days ago#9
I feel like trial and error is part of what makes a platformer fun. I also don't really consider 100%ing levels to be tedious. The point is to play a level over and over and get better and faster with time and practice.

I can't say I understand why fans of the originals have an issue with the content and difficulty, (for me it's exactly what I expected and wanted) but maybe I'm just a masochist.
(edited 4 days ago)

fretless58
4 days ago#10
The old games weren't built on trial-and-error. It was usually pretty clear what you had to do, it was just a matter of having the dexterity to actually do it. The only trial-and-error challenges in them were reserved for bonus rooms, where you're expected to kill yourself and start over if you mess up and make a certain box unobtainable. Getting 100% in the levels was never tedious or repetitive, because the levels were shorter, and they certainly didn't ask you to do it again, but with the level mirrored and with a crayon filter on everything.
  1. Boards
  2. Crash Bandicoot 4: It's About Time
  3. Why the complaints about difficulty?
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A