• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Persona 4 Golden
  3. Muscle memory issues going from P5/R to P4G

User Info: Akira_Kurusu22

Akira_Kurusu22
3 months ago#1
There's one thing I don't like about going back to P4G, after playing through P5 and P5R multiple times; the in-battle menu messes with my muscle memory.

In P5/R, Triangle led to the Persona menu (using skills, or changing Personas); Square was the Items button; Cross was melee attack; Circle was Guard. Rushing was set to the Options button.
In P4G, these options are all in a list, with Triangle being the Rush button. Quite a few times, I found myself Rushing instead of using a Persona skill. Erk.

Not exactly a fan of the menu, I must say. Also the lack of "normal" Light/Dark (Bless/Curse, in P5/R lingo) skills, and of Nuke and Psy, is quite noticeable; the only way to completely fill an enemy's Analysis screen is to hope it blocks Hama or Mudo, or that those skills connect (which can take a while for enemies that Resist either). Ugh. This, in addition to the menu, makes me appreciate the Phantom Thieves' games all the more.

User Info: amzgspyderman

amzgspyderman
2 months ago#2
I hope someone makes a mod to change the buttons to P5 configuration. It can't be that hard, can it?
i support #bodypositivity, because when the zombie apocalypse happens, somebody needs to be food.

User Info: Boobtubenoob

Boobtubenoob
2 months ago#3
So you blaming the previous game for not having the QOL of the sequel?

User Info: astralmeson

astralmeson
2 months ago#4
Yeah, a lot of these are kind of weird complaints considering that, yeah, base P4 came out a full 4 years before base P5. If anything, it's P5 that changes things up. P5 certainly has some faster button inputs, but play P4 enough and you'll get used to the menu differences.

But really, it's also confusing that every game is going to do things a little differently no matter what. Have you not played P3(P)? SMT? Action games like KH? Or going from Nintendo to Playstation games in general can be a bit of a mindscrew, where you never know when A/B and X/O are actually going to be consistent or not.

User Info: Akira_Kurusu22

Akira_Kurusu22
2 months ago#5
astralmeson posted...
Yeah, a lot of these are kind of weird complaints considering that, yeah, base P4 came out a full 4 years before base P5. If anything, it's P5 that changes things up. P5 certainly has some faster button inputs, but play P4 enough and you'll get used to the menu differences.

But really, it's also confusing that every game is going to do things a little differently no matter what. Have you not played P3(P)? SMT? Action games like KH? Or going from Nintendo to Playstation games in general can be a bit of a mindscrew, where you never know when A/B and X/O are actually going to be consistent or not.
I've never been able to play any kind of P3; I don't own a PSP (and that's the worst version of P3 anyway), and by the time I became aware of Persona - namely P5's release - I couldn't find P3FES in any stores, nor on the Australian PS3 Store.
SMT? Never touched that.
Kingdom Hearts? Only 2 Final Mix - the version of 2 in the PS4 collection, anyway.
I find going from Nintendo to PlayStation to be just fine, since the buttons have different symbols; unlike going from Nintendo to Xbox, where they have the same letters, except swapped around. That crap's dumb, and is one major reason why I could never stand the Xbox line. Also grew up with both a DS Lite and a PS2 slim, so I'm used to the buttons (and analog stick placements, for controllers - horizontally-aligned sticks are superior, for me).

So yes, it is weird that I'm judging P4G based on P5, but when P5 released on a modern, accessible device before P4G did...I feel justified doing so, y'know? I'm also slowly getting used to the menu, and not accidentally Rushing as often.
(edited 2 months ago)
  1. Boards
  2. Persona 4 Golden
  3. Muscle memory issues going from P5/R to P4G
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A