• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Resident Evil Village
  3. Why do people keep defending this terrible direction?
TrueGB 1 year ago#191
Perfect_Cyborg posted...
I've seen lot of people that are actually reasonable and speaking the truth getting downvoted and called hateful just because they don't agree with the narrative or even questions it

This forum in a nutshell, minus the downvote system. Instead, we just get ignored.

mert20004 posted... I'm not sure if this is the best place to ask this but can ı ask why is re6 considered " bad " ?

It's really not that bad, but it's not that good, either , and you know about the whole "if it isn't great, it's bad" attitude that pervades the internet. More specifically, there are a number of mechanics in the game that are more poorly designed than previous games, and there are a number of weirdly tuned and timed challenges that are hard to figure, aren't intuitive, and are generally just difficult to beat for all the wrong reasons, so RE6 often comes off as way more frustrating than it should. It was even worse at launch with some QTEs being so demanding they could literally bust flimsy 360 controllers (I can attest to that; they actually fixed that later) and some challenges being seemingly impossible to beat in co-op even today. Throw in the mostly useless skills system where only a few skills were worth using, which was a far cry from the systems used in RE4 and 5, and the scripted guns, and it's not hard to see why RE6 feels like a step down from the previous games.
All the criticism about the game being stupid and the characters sucking is just fanboy angst, although the game going full Call of Duty and completely trashing its horror roots is a fair one.
"You find it offensive? I find it funny. That's why I'm happier than you" -a funny T-shirt
Malevolent_Moon 1 year ago#192
mert20004 posted...
I'm not sure if this is the best place to ask this but can ı ask why is re6 considered " bad " ?

Personally ı never understood the hate for re6.

Action? Well re games started to become more action oriented with 2nd game anyways. This also continued in re3 and recv so it didnt suddenly happen with re4 when the mainline entries became action horror. This also continued in re5 and finally re6. Basically the transition from survival horror to action horror made sense; both from gameplay and story perspective. I mean things evolve, characters become more experienced etc.

Here's how ı feel about the game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=neAOruo0OrQ

Plus ı enjoyed re6 more than re4. ( Why does re4 still use tank controls? Outbreak file 2; a more survival horror oriented game doesnt use tank controls while allowing moving and shooting. Btw re6 is directed by eiichiro sasaki who directed the outbreak games. ) Re4 feels unnecessarily clunky as an action game due to using tank controls.

As for re7; ı dont like it cause the game has an identity crisis and it wants to be a reboot but at the same time; it doesnt. Plus its story is disconnected to canon re lore. I know re4 also had a disconnected story but after that game; capcom wanted to fix the story damage that game did with re5 and chronicles games. Meanwhile they didnt do this for re7 but instead unnecessarily convoluted the timeline with non-canon reimaginings of re2 and re3.

RE6 is bad for a number of reasons.

- It's too easy.

- Linearity goes berserk. Not only are levels even MORE linear than 4 and 5 (Which were already extremely linear) but they have the nerve to give you a waypoint. As if somehow you could actually get lost on those straight line levels.

- Far, far too many QTEs.

- Game's tone is all over the place which gives it a huge identity crisis. It has no idea what it wants to be because it's trying to be Horror with Leon, Action with Chris, Action and Stealth with Jake, then all of the above with Ada. It's a directionless game that throws everything at you but gets none of it right because it never fully commits to anything.

- You have to replay many of the same sections over in different campaigns to pad the game length. Which makes it more of a drag than it needs to be.

- Story and Characters suck. They make a global affair boring with a super stock villain, and awful pacing. The stakes are higher than ever but somehow it never feels like it. Global outbreaks and yet none of this feels as tragic or dangerous as it should. Maybe because you have Leon punching sharks in the mouth, Chris harassing a bartender, and Jake being fan fiction for Sherry. Yeah I think the game is too ridiculous for its own good.
The sun goes down alone
edward18 1 year ago#193
That shark actually started out as a human before infection.
Hey check out this Resident Evil Animation I Did =D https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMX9lSgJh-0
Apparently Edward: Wise Old Sage of Korodai
TrueGB 1 year ago#194
Syn_Vengeance posted...

Except it was changed several times in part by Mikami. He himself admitted he was tired of the formula.

...because his team was threatening to quit if they didn't. You're piling all the blame on one person. Yeah, he never really liked doing horror games in the first place, but that didn't stop him from producing so many great ones. Clearly the guy is a consummate professional. He gave you what you wanted despite not wanting to do it. You should be thankful.

Syn_Vengeance posted... Even if Capcom forced him to take a different approach... Mikami is just as much to blame as Capcom themselves.

Also if Capcom made him take such a different approach...

You should read posts more clearly before commenting on them. I said "It was LIKE Capcom and a bunch of suits...etc", not "Capcom and a bunch of suits DID force him..." Much of your ensuing comment was based on something I never said.

Syn_Vengeance posted... Especially for a story that is the least relevant of the main entries and one of the only ones that has basically nothing to do with the other games. Mikami is just as much to blame as Capcom themselves.

Subjective argument with a dash of fanboy hate. Dismissed.

Syn_Vengeance posted... It literally went from "let's take down Umbrella" to "nah the government suspended them and their stocks crashed and ended them" to "No wait, Chris and Jill took them head on, Wesker stole all their data and thats what ended them".

The assumption being, of course, that RE was this respectably written franchise in the first place, and that this act was somehow contradictory and anomalous within its framework. Which it's not.

Syn_Vengeance posted...
People like you claim we should stop treating Mikami like a villain when in reality people need to stop treating him like a saint.

People like "me" are reasonable. People like YOU actually posted a "people like me vs. you" argument over a frickin' video game! It's just a video game, people, and Mikami made development decisions based on the state of his team, the corporation, the market, etc. There is nothing "saintly" or "villainous" about that, but the fact anyone would even drift into that territory to describe the development of a video game says a lot more about you than it does me.

We're not talking about Cyberpunk, after all. They were very clear exactly what kind of game RE4 would be.
"You find it offensive? I find it funny. That's why I'm happier than you" -a funny T-shirt
mert20004 1 year ago#195
  1. I thought it offered a decent challenge, especially in higher difficulties.
  2. The linearity didnt bother me that much since the combat system works well for the most of the campaigns' levels. I dont agree with the " The combat system only works in mercenaries. " statement either since there's a time limit there and you cant fight every enemy unlike in campaigns.
  3. I agree about some of the qtes being unecessary but you can disable some of them through options menu. There's even a skill that makes qtes even more easier. Honestly ı found them more frustrating in re4 and re5, maybe cause ı played them on pc with keyboard and mouse and felt that the button prompts were weird in those 2 games.
  4. But all of the campaigns are action, even leon's. I think rerev and re7 have identity crisis cause they cant decide whether they want to be survival horror or action. Rerev has jill's sections which are survival horror.and non-jill sections which are action. Re7 has one main survival horror campaign ( Which feels half-baked due to generic combat / enemies at 2nd half with very linear environments. ) and 2 action campaigns ( Not a hero and end of zoe. ) which feel half baked due to boring combat along with generic enemies. At least re6 isnt trying to be survival horror cause it focuses mostly on combat with high amount of setpieces rather than exploration.
  5. So? You also replay sections in re1, re2 and remake with 2nd character. In re1 and remake, you even fight the same bosses. Plus the campaigns in re6 connect to each other ( Unlike re2 2019. ) which ı thought was pretty cool.
  6. I thought the story and characters were good along with campaigns that connect to each other, why dont you like it? ( The story follows from re2, re3, recv, darkside chronicles and re5 as well so it's connected to canon re lore unlike re4, re7 and reimaginings. ) Is it cause of simmons' obsession with ada? If so; previous re games had villains with crazy obsessions too. Like alexia and alfred loving each other for example. Personally ı found simmons' obsession with ada disturbing like ada does in her campaign. Not to mention; it creates a better reunion for re2 than re5 does for re1. It's only missing one character from re2 ( Claire ) while re5 is missing barry and rebecca in main story. Plus ı didnt like jill was handled in re5, ı wished she wasnt captured by wesker. At least in re6; jake and sherry escape from their prison in a badass way. ( Though ı think the 2nd time they were captured was dumb imo but still not as dumb as re4's entire story which is ashley annoyance. )

Can ı recommend you to read this too?

https://biohaze.com/forum/threads/virus-analysis-chrysalid.241/

This is a c-virus analysis someone made in biohaze. It explains that simmons' obsession with ada isnt the only reason why c-virus was created.
Malevolent_Moon 1 year ago#196
mert20004 posted...
1. I thought it offered a decent challenge, especially in higher difficulties.
2. The linearity didnt bother me that much since the combat system works well for the most of the campaigns' levels. I dont agree with the " The combat system only works in mercenaries. " statement either since there's a time limit there and you cant fight every enemy unlike in campaigns.
3. I agree about some of the qtes being unecessary but you can disable some of them through options menu. There's even a skill that makes qtes even more easier. Honestly ı found them more frustrating in re4 and re5, maybe cause ı played them on pc with keyboard and mouse and felt that the button prompts were weird in those 2 games.
4. But all of the campaigns are action, even leon's. I think rerev and re7 have identity crisis cause they cant decide whether they want to be survival horror or action. Rerev has jill's sections which are survival horror.and non-jill sections which are action. Re7 has one main survival horror campaign ( Which feels half-baked due to generic combat / enemies at 2nd half with very linear environments. ) and 2 action campaigns ( Not a hero and end of zoe. ) which feel half baked due to boring combat along with generic enemies. At least re6 isnt trying to be survival horror cause it focuses mostly on combat with high amount of setpieces rather than exploration.
5. So? You also replay sections in re1, re2 and remake with 2nd character. In re1 and remake, you even fight the same bosses. Plus the campaigns in re6 connect to each other ( Unlike re2 2019. ) which ı thought was pretty cool.
6. I thought the story and characters were good along with campaigns that connect to each other, why dont you like it? ( The story follows from re2, re3, recv, darkside chronicles and re5 as well so it's connected to canon re lore unlike re4, re7 and reimaginings. ) Is it cause of simmons' obsession with ada? If so; previous re games had villains with crazy obsessions too. Like alexia and alfred loving each other for example. Personally ı found simmons' obsession with ada disturbing like ada does in her campaign. Not to mention; it creates a better reunion for re2 than re5 does for re1. It's only missing one character from re2 ( Claire ) while re5 is missing barry and rebecca in main story. Plus ı didnt like jill was handled in re5, ı wished she wasnt captured by wesker. At least in re6; jake and sherry escape from their prison in a badass way. ( Though ı think the 2nd time they were captured was dumb imo but still not as dumb as re4's entire story which is ashley annoyance. )

Can ı recommend you to read this too?

https://biohaze.com/forum/threads/virus-analysis-chrysalid.241/

This is a c-virus analysis someone made in biohaze. It explains that simmons' obsession with ada isnt the only reason why c-virus was created.

1. I hate when people have to cite harder difficulties as being challenging. I mean I'd hope so, it IS a higher difficult after all. But a lot of the problems with the difficulty being too easy are the mechanics. Movement is very strong, you can sprint, dodge, shoot slide, roll over while shooting, etc. Plus you can melee at any time and the counters are strong too. In addition to the absolute avalanche of ammo you have at all times.

2. If it didn't bother you that's fine. But I hated having essentially no room to explore or any way to stray from the VERY straight forward level design. The waypoint being there was a slap in the face too.

3. But why should there even be an option to disable QTEs? How about just not make the game like that in the first place?

4. Leon's had action yes but it was still trying to be horror. It failed miserably but that's what it was going for. RE7 is very clearly a horror game first and foremost, the last act bombards you with enemies but combat is clearly not the focus there. 7 has direction, 6 does not.

5. Yeah but those games are also way shorter. Each campaign in 6 is like 3-4 hours by itself. So having to replay sections in a s***ty game that's already running long isn't my idea of fun.

6. Simmons is just boring. He's such a nothing character. Why is he obsessed with Ada? Why should I care? And they completely waste the reunion of those characters. Sherry is back after being gone for over a decade. What does she do? Play 2nd fiddle to Wesker's reject kid and get captured like 3 times. Awesome, so glad they brought her back for that. What about Leon meeting Chris for the first time? They fight and never see each other again. Wow after like 20 years that really wasn't worth the hype at all.
The sun goes down alone
SlLENTASSASSlN 1 year ago#197
TC Because most of us doesn't agree with your opinion.
Victory is in details
(message deleted)
mert20004 1 year ago#199
  1. Why shouldnt characters be op and very skilled though? Re6 is an action game 1st and foremost; it makes sense for the characters to be extremely skilled like that. They make a mistake by making hunkfield in re7 not a hero underpowered. Going from re5 and re6 to re7; it's like chris forgot how to fight enemies.
  2. At least re6 is more consistent with its level design compared to re7. Re7's 1st half has good amount of exploration but once you unlock lucas' gate with 2 keycards; it becomes super linear. ( Ship has exploration but it is too short. ) In re6; all campaigns are very linear and ı think this works for the game rather than against it.
  3. To make it less frustrating?
  4. But you missed my point. It wasnt trying to be survival horror; it's simply the most horror themed campaign in the game. The other campaigns also have " horror " sections anyway so it's not exclusive to leon's. Plus it handles its " horror " campaign better than re5 lin does which ı felt was letdown despite being important storywise. Sure it's not scary but ı think none of the re games are; especially after replaying them multiple times.
  5. I liked the length personally plus 4 campaigns make it more unique from the other mainline entries. Honestly ı'll take bloated over gutted. ( Re7 and reimaginings. )
  6. Did you read the files on pu? They reveal important stuff about the game. ( Though making re net sections not being available on the game is a really dumb decision. ) I think los illuminados and re5's villains except wesker are boring. About sherry; she's still important storywise since c-virus is a combo of t-02 and g-virus. The later part is obtained from her body. I dont see a problem with wesker having a son. If birkin can have a daughter; then this means wesker can have a son too. I mean both were obsessed with research. At least they didnt revive wesker in the game. As for leon and chris; they talk and help each other after meeting for the 1st time so that chris can save jake and sherry. Plus ı prefer their reunion in re6 over vendetta's. Honestly do you know re5.5? They literally planned to revive wesker in the game instead of making jake wesker's son, kill chris instead of piers as well as 3 ada clones instead of one ada doppleganger which isnt a clone. Though ı still wished piers didnt die; chris could have passed the torch to him.
edward18 1 year ago#200
Post 200!!!

Also, RE6 is arguably the worst main game in the series.
Hey check out this Resident Evil Animation I Did =D https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMX9lSgJh-0
Apparently Edward: Wise Old Sage of Korodai
  1. Boards
  2. Resident Evil Village
  3. Why do people keep defending this terrible direction?
  • Topic Archived