• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Steam
  3. Is There Some Sort of Download Cap for Steam?
I've been using Steam for years now, and I've noticed that whenever I download a game, it usually caps off at around 1.1-1.2 MB/s, although my current Internet package has a maximum download speed of 10 MB/s. Also, my downloads on Origin are usually much faster, at around 3.4-3.6 MB/s.

Is there any way to increase my download speed on Steam, or was it deliberately implemented by Valve in order to prevent server overload or something? Thanks!

User Info: crimsonassassin

crimsonassassin
5 years ago#2
I am fairly sure there is not a cap on it by Valve though there might be with your ISP. I usually get 5-6MB/s on there and have gotten higher than that.
crimsonassassin Your friendly, neighborhood assassin/mod
insert witty quote here

User Info: MercylessReap

MercylessReap
5 years ago#3
There is no cap on Steam, I have used it for years and whenever i have to update or download a game I usually get 9-10 MB/s. on Origin I get around 8-9 MB/s.

I hope that helps

User Info: _0blivion_

_0blivion_
5 years ago#4
If Origin is much faster, they probably have more bandwidth / servers nearby than Steam.

User Info: Gastroid

Gastroid
5 years ago#5
_0blivion_ posted...
If Origin is much faster, they probably have more bandwidth / servers nearby than Steam.

My guess would be that Steam simply has a lot more activity going on, and so puts limits on downloads during most peak periods.
Rotating Signature
This is not one of them.
Lord of Nightmares 5 years ago#6
Thanks for the replies everyone, I guess it either has something to do with my ISP or I have the unfortunate tendency to download my games mainly during peak periods. D:

User Info: arleas

arleas
5 years ago#7
Origin compresses the data and then reports the speed as if it weren't compressed. Like if I compressed a 10 MB text file down to 1 MB, sent it to you at 1MB per second and then reported 10MB/second transfer speed.

Steam doesn't compress their data first...also during heavy download periods it does slow down a bit, but there's no actual cap. You may be able to increase your speed by changing your download region if the one you're on is overloaded.
http://raptr.com/badge/arleas/uc.png
http://www.speedtest.net/result/3201564081.png
  1. Boards
  2. Steam
  3. Is There Some Sort of Download Cap for Steam?
  • Topic Archived